On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun american sycamore
What does american sycamore mean as a name of something?
- very large spreading plane tree of eastern and central North America to Mexico
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Platanus densicoma / species Platanus densicoma / Platanus excelsa / species Platanus excelsa / Platanus hispanica pyramidalis / variety Platanus hispanica pyramidalis / Platanus integrifolia / species Platanus integrifolia / Platanus lobata / species Platanus lobata / Platanus occidentalis attenuata / form Platanus occidentalis attenuata / Platanus occidentalis occidentalis / form Platanus occidentalis occidentalis / variety Platanus occidentalis occidentalis / Platanus occidentalis palmeri / variety Platanus occidentalis palmeri / Platanus orientalis occidentalis / variety Platanus orientalis occidentalis / Platanus orientalis palmeri / variety Platanus orientalis palmeri / Platanus pyramidalis / species Platanus pyramidalis / Platanus occidentalis
- synonyms of American sycamore: American plane / buttonwood
- more generic terms: plane tree / platan / sycamore = any of several trees of the genus Platanus having thin pale bark that scales off in small plates and lobed leaves and ball-shaped heads of fruits
- member of: genus Platanus / Platanus = genus of large monoecious mostly deciduous trees: London plane
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for American sycamore
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Encyclopedia of Wood (2011)
by U.S. Department of Agriculture
Black locust Elm Magnolia Hackberry Soft maple True hickory Red oaks Honeylocust White oaks Black locust Sassafras Hard maple Sweetgum Soft maple American sycamore Red oaks Tupelo White oaks Black walnut American sycamore ...
by Michael A. Dirr
American sycamore Along with Liriodendron tulipifera, tuliptree,
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
American Plane-tree, American Sycamore, Button-wood, Water Beech, ...
by Michael Joyner, TommyLee Whitlock
American sycamore: J&G $60J [kuhwiyugsdi) pg 90) American tiger lily: ...
Encyclopedia of Evolution (2009)
by Stanley A. Rice
soulangeana American sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) European sycamore (P . orientalis) ...
American beech see Fagus grandifolia American chestnut see Castanea dentata American elm see Ulmus americana American larch see Larix laricina American sycamore see Platanus occidentalis Amomum subulatum 64 Amphidasis ...
by Frits van der Leeden
Shade Trees Red maple Cornelian cherry White ash Thornless honey locust Black walnut Dolgo crabapple White mulberry American sycamore Cottonwood White willow Pussy willow European littleleaf linden ...
A Dictionary of Cultivated Plants, Etc by Thomas William Saunders
Platanus (Plane-tree, American Plane-tree, American Sycamore, Eastern Plane- tree, Oriental Plane-tree, Western Plane-tree). — Ord. Flatana- cese. Hardydeciduous trees. Orn. foliage. Nat. Western U.S.A., Levant. Int. 1548. St. 60 to 89 ft.
An International Work of Reference, Complete in Twelve Volumes, with 7000 Illustrations, Colored Plates, Colored Maps and Engravings
The American sycamore is a large deciduous tree belonging to the family Plantanaceae. It is characterized by smooth brittle bark. broad-lobed leaves and hanging seed balls. Among the commonest species are Plantanus occidentalis. known ...
by Dale Erwin, Tessa Fedele
American Sycamore, plane tree. chiattia v.t. to place st. in front of sb.
AMERICAN SYCAMORE. See Plane. AMERICAN SYS'TEM. See Tariff. AMERICAN U'NIVER'SITY. An institution of higher learning under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, situated at Washington, D. C, chartered in 1893.
The Encyclopedia Americana (1903)
by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines
American Sycamore. See Plane. American System. See Tariff. American Tariffs. See Tariffs, American. American Temperance University, a coeducational (non- sectarian) institution in Har- riman, Tenn., organized in 1891. Professors, 30 ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for American sycamore
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about American sycamore
Click on an item to view that photo:
- American Sycamore Leaves
Platanus occidentalis Rock Creek Park, Washington, DC, USA
Photo credit: treegrow
- American sycamore leaning over water
An American sycamore tree (Platanus occidentalis) leans over Rock Creek at Rapids Bridge.
Photographer: Ery Largay, courtesy of NatureServe
Shared under Creative Commons BY
Photo credit: NatureServe
- Kentucky's largest American Sycamore
Glasgow, Ky. - An American Sycamore tree at Barren River Lake has been recognized as the "state champion" for being the largest American Sycamore in the Commonwealth.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers photo by Jon Fillingham
Photo credit: LouisvilleUSACE
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of American sycamore to find many related words and phrases!