On this page:
- Definition of the noun americanism
- Phrases with Americanism
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Americanism
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Americanism
- Photo about Americanism
- Video about Americanism
- Quotes about Americanism
- Scrabble value of A1M3E1R1I1C3A1N1I1S1M3
- Anagrams of AMERICANISM
- Share this page
Definition of the noun americanism
What does americanism mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: Americanisms
- loyalty to the United States and its institutions
- an expression that is characteristic of English as spoken by Americans
- a custom that is peculiar to the United States or its citizens
Alternative definition of the noun americanism
- A custom peculiar to the United States or the Americans.
- A word, phrase or linguistic feature originating from or specific to American language usage.
- antonym: anti-Americanism
- A preference to the United States and the ideas it represents.
- Americanism: Coined in the nineteenth century, in Roman Catholic use the term Americanism referred to a group of related heresies which were defined as the endorsement of the separation of church and state. European "continental conservative" clerics thought they detected signs of modernism or classical liberalism of the sort the Pope had condemned in the Syllabus of Errors in 1864. They feared that these doctrines were held by and taught by many members of the Catholic hierarchy in the United States in the 1890s. Catholic leaders in the U.S., however, denied that they held these views.
- Americanism, according to the veterans' organization the American Legion, is an ideology or belief in devotion, loyalty, or allegiance to the United States of America or to its flag, traditions, customs, culture, symbols, institutions, or form of government.
Phrases with Americanism
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Americanism
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Containing the Public Messages, Speeches, and Statements of the President, January 1 to December 31, 1951 by United States Government Printing Office
Real Americanism means that we will protect freedom of speech — we will defend the right of people to say what they think, regardless of how much we may disagree with them. Real Americanism means freedom of religion. It means that we ...
Pro-Americanism, Anti-Americanism, and the Discourses Between by Virginia Dominguez, Jane Desmond
Americanism is a hard-to-pin-down concept but that it is used to accommodate so many different and widely divergent views...
Americanism is a constructive force and Bolshevism is a destructive force. The two are not only...
by Anton Kaes, Martin Jay, Edward Dimendberg
Americanism is the new European catchword. It suffers the usual fate of catchwords: the more it is used, the less one knows what it means. It is certain that in this case the range of meanings is enormously broad, far exceeding particular minor ...
Summary: Winners Never Cheat (2014)
Review and Analysis of Huntsman's Book by BusinessNews Publishing
“Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity and hardihood – the virtues that made America. The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
World history, United States by CTI Reviews
Americanism: Americanism is an ideology or belief in devotion, loyalty,
by Eric Partridge
an Americanism, but now ...
by Burton H. Wolfe
it cancels out Christmas as a holy day and refers to it instead as a day on which material goods are exchanged and people pig out (Americanism that insults pigs) upon a diet of grossly 127 XXIV.
by Jan Onofrio
American Legion, Americanism Award; Veterans of Foreign Wars; Congressional Award; Silver Helmet Award, AMVETS; ...
by Bill Bryson
normalcy is widely and perhaps even a little reflexively condemned in Britain as an inelegant Americanism. Its coinage is often attributed to President VVarren G. Harding, who did indeed promise voters “a return to normalcy” as part of one of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Americanism
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Americanism
Photo credit: szapucki
Video about Americanism
Video shows what Americanism means. A custom peculiar to the United States or the Americans.. A word, phrase or linguistic feature originating from or specific ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Americanism!
Quotes about Americanism
This American system of ours, call it Americanism, call it capitalism, call it what you will, gives each and every one of us a great opportunity if we only seize it with both hands and make the most of it. (Al Capone)
more quotes about americanism...
Scrabble value of A1M3E1R1I1C3A1N1I1S1M3
The value of this 11-letter word is 17 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMERICANISM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Americanism!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Americanism to see it in context!