On this page:
Definition of the noun amianthum
What does amianthum mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- one species: fly poison; sometimes placed in family Melanthiaceae
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of Amianthum: genus Amianthum
- more generic term: liliid monocot genus = genus of monocotyledonous plants comprising mostly herbs having usually petaloid sepals and petals and compound pistils
- member of: family Liliaceae / Liliaceae / lily family = includes species sometimes divided among the following families: Alliaceae; Aloeaceae; Alstroemeriaceae; Aphyllanthaceae; Asparagaceae; Asphodelaceae; Colchicaceae; Convallariaceae; Hemerocallidaceae; Hostaceae; Hyacinthaceae; Melanthiaceae; Ruscaceae; Smilacaceae; Tecophilaeacea
- member: Amianthum muscaetoxicum / Amianthum muscitoxicum / fly poison = all parts of plant are highly toxic; bulb pounded and used as a fly poison
Phrases with Amianthum
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amianthum
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Hendrickson
fly poison A lily-like plant (Amianthum muscaetoxi- cum) used to make insecticides. “The curious big fly poison lit up the sward with flecks of white.
Containing ... Lexicon by Robley Dunglison
Erythrosperma, Amianthum muscaetoxicum — h. Lutea, Chamaelerium luteum— h. Officinalis, see Veratrina. HELOPYRA, ('Aos, “a marsh, and rvp, 'fever,”) Elodes (febris). HELOPYRETUS, (“Aos, “a marsh, and ruperox, “fever,”) Elodes (febris).
Medical lexicon (1857)
A dictionary of medical science ... by Robley Dunglison
Erythrospermn, Amianthum tnusctetnxicum — h. Lutea, Chamselerium luteum — b. Officinalis ...
by Robert Hunter
See AMIANTHUM. Fly'-powder, n. An imperfect oxide of arsenic, which, mixed with sugar and water, is used to kill flies. Fly'-rail, n. The part of a table turned out at right angles there with, to support the leaf. Fly'-speck, n. The stain left by the ...
Zell's Popular Encyclopedia (1882)
A Complete Dictionary of the English Language; with Pronouncing Vocabulary & a Gazetteer of the World
See AMIANTHUM. Fly'-powder, n. An imperfect oxide of arsenic, which, mixed with sugar and water, is used to kill flies. Brande.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amianthum
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1M3I1A1N1T1H4U1M3
The value of this 9-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMIANTHUM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amianthum!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amianthum to find many related words and phrases!