On this page:
"Amistad" is a 1997 historical drama film directed by Steven Spielberg based on the notable uprising in 1839 by newly abducted Mende tribesmen who took control of the ship La Amistad off the coast of Cuba, and the international legal battle that followed their capture by a U.S. revenue cutter. It became a United States Supreme Court case of 1841.
- also known as 勇者無懼
- country: United States of America
- languages: Spanish Language, English Language, Mende Language
- producers: Colin Wilson, Steven Spielberg, Debbie Allen
- executive producers: Laurie MacDonald & Walter Parkes
- production design by Rick Carter
- art direction by Christopher Burian-Mohr, Tony Fanning, William James Teegarden
- written by David Franzoni
- Matthew McConaughey as Roger Sherman Baldwin
- Anthony Hopkins as John Quincy Adams
- Djimon Hounsou as Cinque
- Stellan Skarsgård as Tappan
- Harry Blackmun
- Jeremy Northam as Judge Coglin
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Ensiign Covey
- Pete Postlethwaite as Holabird
- Darren E. Burrows as Lieutenant Meade
- Anna Paquin as Queen Isabella
- Morgan Freeman as Theodore Joadson
- Nigel Hawthorne as Martin Van Buren
- David Paymer as John Forsyth
- Tomas Milian as Calderon
- Razaaq Adoti as Yamba
- Abu Bakaar Fofanah as Fala
- Kevin J. O'Connor
- casting by Victoria Thomas
- cinematography by Janusz Kamiński
- edited by Michael Kahn
- music by John Williams
- costume design by Ruth E. Carter
- set decoration by Rosemary Brandenburg
- genres: Mystery, Historical fiction, Drama
- subjects: Law, Racism
- tagline: Freedom is not given. It is our right at birth. But there are some moments when it must be taken.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (18 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role nomination for Anthony Hopkins
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture – Drama (role: Joseph Cinqué) nomination for Djimon Hounsou
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture (role: John Quincy Adams) nomination for Anthony Hopkins
- Golden Globe Award for Best Director - Motion Picture nomination for Steven Spielberg
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama nomination for Debbie Allen
- DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film nomination for Steven Spielberg
- American Society of Cinematographers Award for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Theatrical Releases nomination for Janusz Kamiński
- Art Directors Guild Award for Excellence in Production Design for a Feature Film nomination for Rick Carter, Tony Fanning, Christopher Burian-Mohr, Nicholas Lundy, Hugh Landwehr, Lauren E. Polizzi, Paul Sonski, William James Teegarden, John Berger
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Ruth E. Carter
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Janusz Kamiński
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Picture
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Anthony Hopkins
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score nomination for John Williams
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Supporting Actor, received by Anthony Hopkins
- Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama (Role: Cinque) nomination for Djimon Hounsou
- Satellite Award for Best Director nomination for Steven Spielberg
- Satellite Award for Best Editing nomination for Michael Kahn
- Satellite Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Ruth E. Carter
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: John Quincy Adams) nomination for Anthony Hopkins
- Satellite Award for Best Original Score nomination for John Williams
- Satellite Award for Best Adapted Screenplay nomination for David Franzoni
- David di Donatello for Best Foreign Film nomination for Steven Spielberg
- Satellite Award for Best Art Direction and Production Design nomination for Rick Carter
- European Film Academy Achievement in World Cinema Award nomination for Stellan Skarsgård
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture nomination for Morgan Freeman
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture nomination for Djimon Hounsou
- Producers Guild of America Award for Best Theatrical Motion Picture nomination for Steven Spielberg, Debbie Allen, Colin Wilson
- Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Anthony Hopkins
- Political Film Society Award for Exposé
- Satellite Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Janusz Kamiński
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Motion Picture
- European Film Academy Achievement in World Cinema Award, received by Stellan Skarsgård
- Satellite Award for Best Cinematography, received by Janusz Kamiński
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, received by Morgan Freeman
- PGA Vision Award for Theatrical Motion Pictures, received by Steven Spielberg, Debbie Allen, Colin Wilson
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture, received by Djimon Hounsou
- Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition nomination for John Williams
"Amistad" is an artwork by Ramón Gómez Cornet.
- "Amistad" is a musical album of John Williams, soundtrack.
- also known as Amistad Soundtrack
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Amistad" is a musical album of Sidekick.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Amistad" is a composition.
- music by Ignácio Cervantes
Amistad is a small unincorporated community in Union County, New Mexico, U.S. It is located about 39 miles south of Clayton on New Mexico State Highway 402.
Amistad is a publisher.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amistad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
From the Frio to Del Rio (2017)
Travel Guide to the Western Hill Country and the Lower Pecos Canyonlands by Mary S. Black
History and Ecology Lake Amistad is a reservoir on the Rio Grande at its confluence with the Devils River. The lake is bounded by Val Verde County on the Texas side of the international border and the state of Coahuila on the Mexican side of ...
by Joe Follansbee
AMISTAD. Launched in 2000, the schooner Amistad is a museum ship which conducts living history excursions.
Steven Spielberg's America (2013)
by Frederick Wasser
Amistad is a rebuke to Hollywood's previous major civil rights movie, Mississippi Burning (1988).% The earlier movie was told from a white person's point of view. The history of capturing the men responsible for the murder of three civil rights ...
by L. Westra, J. Lemons
La Amistad is a million hectare complex of national parks, forest reserves, and indigenous territories that straddle the border between the Central American countries of Costa Rica and Panama. The reserve protects a rare combination of cloud ...
Rebellious Histories (2012)
The Amistad Slave Revolt and the Cultures of Late Twentieth-Century Black Transnationalism by Matthew J. Christensen
Joadson's fictionalized appearance among eminent white political and legal leaders to a matter of racial quota, Commentary contributor Gary Rosen scornfully declared, “Amistad is a major artistic offensive in the current debate over race.
The Gospel Cinderella (2004)
by Joyce Carol Thomas, David Diaz
Amistad Is an Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Inc The Gospel dndesdla Text copyright c 2004 by Joyce Carol Thomas Illustrations copyright S 2004 by David Diaz Printed In the U .SA ...
by Kenneth C. Davis, Machiyo Kodaira
Amistad is an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers Inc. This is a Don't Know Much About® book. Don't Know Much About® is the trademark of Kenneth C. Davis. Don't Know Much About® Martin Luther King Jr. Copyright © 2006 by Kenneth C.
It Ain't All for Nothin' (2009)
by Walter Dean Myers
Amistad is an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Harper Trophy* is a registered trademark of HarperCollins Publishers 1nc. 1t Ain't All ForNothin' Copyright © 1978 by Walter Dean Myers All rights reserved. No pan of this book may be used ...
13th Congress, 2d Session-49th Congress, 1st Session by United States. Congress. House
Ttie following is the statement of facts contained in your communication: " That the Amistad is a Spanish vessel; was regularly cleared from Havana, a Spanish port, to Guanaja, in the neighborhood of Puerto Principe, another Spanish port; that ...
by Mwalimu J. Shujaa, Kenya J. Shujaa
On July 2, 1839, before dawn, 53 West African captives aboard the Spanish schooner Amistad mutinied; killed the captain, Ramon Ferrer; and took possession of the ship in Cuban waters. Led by a man named Joseph Cinqué, the Africans ...
An Encyclopedia of People, Places, and Operations by Mary Ellen Snodgrass
A unique black revolt in North American history, on July 2, 1839, a mutiny aboard the Portuguese slaver Amistad jolted the American public with headlines about the plight of kidnapped Africans. After the ship sailed from Sierra Leone toward ...
by Teodor Flonta
Amistad renovada, es comollaga malsana. Al amigo reconciliado, con un ojo abierto y con el otro cerrado. 1131 E. A true FRIEND is forever our friend. F. Les amitiés devraient être immortelles.
by Thomas M. Leonard
• AMISTAD INTERNATIONAL PARK The hope for the improvement in the Amerindians quality of life came in November 1993 at the National Coordination of Indigenous Peoples of Panama, a convention organized by the leadership of the ...
by Gerald D. Jaynes
AMISTAD,. THE. Slave ship bound from Africa to the Americas on which slaves rebelled against the crew, and a court later ruled that the blacks were free and should be returned to Africa. On August 26, 1839, two American sea captains ...
by J. Blaine Hudson
in an August ¡839 portrait, led a revolt among African slaves aboard the Amistad. (Library of Congress) them to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amistad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amistad
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: javierantonio1973
Photo credit: [[[Matías]]]
Photo credit: Cebolledo
Photo credit: Mis pensamientos, solo en imagenes.
Photo credit: Issac Villanueva
Photo credit: MonoGlobo
Photo credit: cachafeiro1994
Photo credit: MonoGlobo
Photo credit: _axold_
Passing the Amistad..., Fishers Island Sound
Photo credit: Skazama
A replica of the famous Amistad schooner.
Photo credit: Ben+Sam
Photo credit: jblyberg
Photo credit: Max Bosio - www.maxbosio.com
Photo credit: sukiweb
Photo credit: leoncillo sabino
- Lake Amistad - International Border
Photo credit: Charles & Clint
Hablando en un bar.
Photo credit: Chaquetadepollo.
Video about Amistad
P.S. 311 Amistad Dual Language School
See also the pronunciation examples of Amistad!
Quotes about Amistad
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'Amistad"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of A1M3I1S1T1A1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMISTAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amistad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amistad to see it in context!