On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amity
What does amity mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: amities
- a cordial disposition
- a state of friendship and cordiality
Alternative definition of the noun amity
- [formal, literary] friendship. The cooperative and supportive relationship between people, or animals. In this sense, the term connotes a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, affection, and respect along with a degree of rendering service to friends in times of need or crisis.
- antonym: enmity
- Mutual understanding and a peaceful relationship, especially between nations; peace; accord.
- Amity is a city in Yamhill County, Oregon, United States. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 1,614.
- Amity is a city in Clark County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 723 at the 2010 census. The city began on the Caddo River in the mid-19th century when William F. Browning and others, including Dr. A.B. Clingman, at various times moved to the area.
- Amity is a village in DeKalb County, Missouri, United States. The population was 54 at the 2010 census. It is part of the St. Joseph, MO–KS Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Amity is a town in Aroostook County, Maine, United States. The population was 238 at the 2010 census.
- Amity is a town in Allegany County, New York, United States. The population was 2,308 at the 2010 census. The name of the town means "friendship.
- Amity: The valley of Amity is an area located partly in the town of Woodbridge, Connecticut and partly in the city of New Haven. It is bounded on the northeast by the West Rock ridge, on the south by the Westville neighborhood of New Haven, and on the northwest by an incline in elevation above which lies the highlands of Woodbridge, Connecticut. The official New Haven neighborhood planning maps include the traditionally separate neighborhoods of West Hills and Beverly Hills within the Amity neighborhood.
- Amity is a hamlet in the town of Warwick, New York, United States. It is located between Edenville and Pine Island, near the New Jersey state line. Amity is served by the Amity Station of the Pine Island Fire Department. The Amity Presbyterian Society was founded in 1796 and, after 213 years, celebrated its last service on April 26, 2009. The church, located on Newport Bridge road near Amity Road, became home to Vision Community Church until December 2010. Vision moved to the Park Avenue Elementary school in Warwick, NY after the Amity property was put up for sale..
- Amity a.k.a. Amity, Pennsylvania: Amity is an unincorporated community in Washington County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is home to the Bailey Covered Bridge, Hughes Covered Bridge, and Day Covered Bridge.
- read more about Amity, Pennsylvania
- Amity a.k.a. Amity, Ohio: Amity is an unincorporated community in north-eastern Canaan Township, Madison County, Ohio, United States. It is located at 40°4′7″N 83°15′5″W / 40.06861°N 83.25139°W, at the intersection of Plain City-Georgesville Road and Amity Pike Road, between Plain City and West Jefferson.
- read more about Amity, Ohio
- "Amity" is a musical album of The Gathering & [Haven].
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Amity" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Elliott Smith
- "Amity" is a musical EP of Matthew Dekay.
- released on
"Amity" is an artwork by Bernard Fleetwood-Walker, completed in (83 years ago).
- genre: Portrait painting
The Amity was a 148 ton brig used in several notable voyages of exploration and settlement in Australia in the early nineteenth century.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amity
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Art of Judging People by Holmes Whittier Merton
Amity is a counter indication to the expression of sarcasm which so many people are inclined to substitute for both wit and...
The Harvard Monthly (1905)
Fort Amity is a story of the time of the French and Indian war, scarcely an historical romance, though backed by history, for it is pleasantly free from the usual periwigged generals and notables that come into such writing. The story is of one ...
Intergenerational and Generational Connections by Susan K Pfeifer, Marvin B Sussman
Amity is the norm of kinship, while altruism is the norm of friendship. Following marriage which is the result of bargaining and agreement between the two partners, the norm of kinship sets obligations to respond, not to commands, but to ...
by Lonely Planet, Charles Rawlings-Way, Tamara Sheward, Meg Worby
Amity is a small village on the northwestern corner. Much of the island's southern sectionis closedto visitors becauseofsand mining. Interestingly,NorthandSouth Stradbroke Islands used tobeone single island, butasavage storm blew through ...
by Dennis Fischer
Amity is a sleepy community, unused to serious threats, and responds negatively when Brody decides to describe the young woman's homicide as a shark ...
by Ashu Pasricha
AMITY. AND. HARMONY. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, an ardent student of Indian history and a spiritual being, considered spiritual religion (not dogmatic religion) strictly a matter of private belief and pursuit. The eternal ideal ...
by Joseph Liow, Michael Leifer
A Treatyof Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia was concluded by the heads of government of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) on the island of Bali on 24 February 1976. Based on respect for the sanctity of national ...
by James Matthew Morris, Andrea L. Kross
" FORT AMITY COLONY. This second of the Salvation Army farm colonies was established near the town of Holly in southeastern Colorado in 1898 with 14 families ...
by Charles Fillmore
Naam (comity, amity, pleasantness, sweetness, delightfulness, and abundant good) signifies the joy and gladness, the harmony and satisfaction, that are the ...
by Benson John Lossing, Woodrow Wilson
Peace, amity, navigation, C. Fisheries, northern : - } Washington. Dec. 5, 1825 boundary, etc. - } London.... Chile: St. C. Peace, ...
Religious Celebrations: An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations [2 volumes] (2011)
An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations by J. Gordon Melton
Race Unity Day Race Unity Day (called “Race Amity Day” until 1965) was inaugurated in 1957 by the National Spiritual...
For instance, a “National Race Amity Conference” was held on June 10-12, 2011, at Wheelock College in Boston, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amity
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amity
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: SeedKeeper
Photo credit: liberalmind1012
Photo credit: agnesplanet
- Amity Alley
Photo credit: Eric Fischer
- Amity in Profile
Photo credit: Kelly Sue
- Amity About To Pop
She's due May 19.
Photo credit: Kelly Sue
- Amity Island, Jaws
Photo credit: KJGarbutt
- Amity, Oregon
Photo credit: Sam Beebe
- Amity Replica, Albany
Brig Amity Replica, Albany, Western Australia...
Photo credit: Travolution360
- Amity Daffodil Festival Contestents
Photo credit: Randy Kashka
- Amity Electric
Photo credit: Jef Nickerson
- Amity replica
Photo credit: jackoscage
- Amity, Oregon
The Welcome to Amity sign.
Photo credit: Randy Kashka
- Amity Eden
Looking friendly in the garden in front of the Watertower.
Photo credit: edenpictures
- Amity High School Peace Rally
Photo credit: Aldon
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Amity
Click on an item to play that video:
- Amity Meaning
Video shows what amity means. friendship. The cooperative and supportive relationship between people, or animals. In this sense, the term connotes a ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Amity, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Language Barriers Amity students
A movie on language barriers done by BBA IB group Sem 2.
- Body Language and Tone of Voice, CWG 2010 Volunteers Training at Amity University
- Bubsy | Amity Dualtage trailer [DESCRIPTION]
See also the pronunciation examples of Amity!
Quotes about Amity
We sincerely hope that south Asian countries will respect and live in amity with each other, and achieve common development, and that south Asia will enjoy peace, stability and prosperity. (Li Peng)
more quotes about amity...
Scrabble value of A1M3I1T1Y4
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMITY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amity!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amity to see it in context!