On this page:
Definition of the noun Amphiaraus
What does Amphiaraus mean as a name of something?
Amphiaraus is a genus of Astartidae, described by Vokes in 1946.
- synonym: genus Amphiaraus
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Mollusca
- class: Bivalvia
- order: Carditoida
- family: Astartidae
Amphiaraus is a fictional character from the 2014 film Hercules.
"Amphiaraus" a.k.a. "Amphiaraos" is a composition.
- read more about Amphiaraos
- Amphiaraus: In Greek mythology, Amphiaraus was the son of Oecles and Hypermnestra, and husband of Eriphyle. Amphiaraus was the King of Argos along with Adrastus— the brother of Amphiaraus' wife, Eriphyle— and Iphis. Amphiaraus was a seer, and greatly honored in his time. Both Zeus and Apollo favored him, and Zeus gave him his oracular talent. In the generation before the Trojan War, Amphiaraos was one of the heroes present at the Calydonian Boar Hunt.
- Amphiaraus is a lost Greek play by the Athenian poet Sophocles. It is believed to have been a satyr play, although it is not clear which incident pertaining to the title character was the subject of the play, nor even which incident would lend itself to satyr play treatment.
Phrases with Amphiaraus
- Adama Amphiaraus
- Genus Amphiaraus
- Antheua Amphiaraus
- Papilio Amphiaraus
- Species Adama Amphiaraus
- Species Papilio Amphiaraus
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amphiaraus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Classical Dictionary; Containing a Copious Account of All the Proper Names Mentioned in Ancient Authors: (1820)
With the Value of Coins, Weights, and Measures, Used Among the Greeks and Romans; and a Chronological Table by John Lemprière
Amphiaraus, son of Oicleus, or according to others, of Apollo, by Hypermnestra, was at the chace of the Calydonian boar, and accompanied the Argonauts in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amphiaraus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1M3P3H4I1A1R1A1U1S1
The value of this 10-letter word is 17 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amphiaraus to find many related words and phrases!