On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun amphibia
What does amphibia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- the class of vertebrates that live on land but breed in water; frogs; toads; newts; salamanders; caecilians
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of amphibia: class Amphibia
- more generic word: class = a taxonomic group containing one or more orders
- member of: Craniata / subphylum Craniata / subphylum Vertebrata / Vertebrata = fishes; amphibians; reptiles; birds
- amphibian = cold-blooded vertebrate typically living on land but breeding in water
- genus Hynerpeton / Hynerpeton = earliest fossil amphibian ever found; of the Devonian
- genus Ichthyostega = second earliest fossil amphibian ever found; of the Devonian
- order Urodella / order Caudata / Urodella / Caudata = salamanders; newts
- order Batrachia / order Salientia / order Anura / Batrachia / Salientia / Anura = frogs, toads, tree toads
- order Gymnophiona / Gymnophiona = an order of amphibians including caecilians
- superorder Labyrinthodontia / superorder Labyrinthodonta / Labyrinthodontia / Labyrinthodonta = extinct amphibians typically resembling heavy-bodied salamanders or crocodiles and having a solid flattened skull and conical teeth
- order Stegocephalia / Stegocephalia = in former classifications a division of class Amphibia comprising all pre-Jurassic and some later extinct large salamandriform amphibia
- polliwog / pollywog / tadpole = a larval frog or toad
- "Amphibia" is a musical album of Patrick Rondat.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Amphibia" is a musical album of Liquid'z.
- released in (20 years ago)
Phrases with Amphibia
Phrases starting with the word Amphibia:
Phrases ending with the word Amphibia:
- class amphibia
- Genus Amphibia
- Salix amphibia
- Ameira Amphibia
- Channa Amphibia
- Tipula Amphibia
- Alderia amphibia
- Buellia Amphibia
- Capoeta Amphibia
- Celosia Amphibia
- Dicerca Amphibia
- Dixella Amphibia
- Lecidea Amphibia
- rorippa amphibia
- Ceroctis Amphibia
- Mylabris Amphibia
View more phrases with the word Amphibia in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Amphibia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Amphibian Evolution (2014)
The Life of Early Land Vertebrates by Rainer R. Schoch
Lissamphibians are probably a monophyletic group (clade), containing the limbless caecilians, salamanders, and frogs. Amphibia is a more inclusive name, here used ...
by C.D. Preston, J.M. Croft
R amphibia is a perennial. Plants are highly selfincompatible, and perhaps for this reason sccd-set in thc ficki is often poor. Sceds may become cstablished in areas where the vegetation is open but relatively stable, Seedlings form a vegetative ...
Windows to the Evolution of Diversity by Eric R. Pianka, Laurie J. Vitt
Extant Amphibia is a monophyletic group (clade) because it contains an ancestor and all its descendants. "Reptiles" is a paraphyletic group because birds, which histoncally have not been considered reptiles, descended from the same ...
by Clive Roots
The class Amphibia is a very large group of vertebrate animals, with over 6,000 species of frogs, toads, salamanders, and caecilians. Yet it has fewer recently domesticated species than all the other vertebrate classes. This is simply because ...
by Frank Morton McMurry
The peculiarity about the amphibia is that they pass through a tadpole state. They are at first adapted to living in the water and breathe by gills and have no legs; but they gradually change; usually the gills disappear, and lungs and _ legs are ...
by Project Gutenberg
AMPHIBIA, a zoological term originally employed by Linnaeus to denote a class of the Animal Kingdom comprising crocodiles, lizards and salamanders, snakes and Caeciliae, tortoises and turtles and frogs; to which, in the later editions of the ...
by John Gunn
cave salamander Proteus anguinus (see Amphibia: Proteus) from the Dinaric karst. The family Plethodontidae comprises about 246 species and is distributed mainly from North America down to northern South America, with a few members in ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1830)
by Sir David Brewster
Amphibia, ened cylindrical body, destitute of external organs of - - - - useful to the inhabitants of certain countries: the S* It is worthy of remark, that those animals to which the ancients attributed the fabulous property of resisting the flames, ...
AMPHIBIA, in zoology, the name of Linnzus's third class of animals, including all those which live partly in water, and partly 00 land. This class is subdivided into three orders, viz. 1. The amphibia reptiles ; the amphibia serpent ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
Amphibia.-Thoracic duct double. There do not seem to be any lymphatic glands. (n) Fishes.—The lymphatics are also destitute of glands and valves. Thoracic duct double. 87. Of The ORGANs of RESPIRAtion. (A) Mammalia.-The lungs of ...
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature, to which is Added Biographies of Living Subjects
therma, containing the three classes of Mammifera, Monotremata, and Aves; and Harmacryma, also containing three classes — Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces. This division of the Vertebrata into hot and cold blooded is a curiously retrograde ...
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and Literature; to which is Added Biographies of Livings Subjects ...
therma, containing the three classes of Mammifera, Monotremata, and Avis ; and Hcemacryma, also containing three classes — Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces. This division of the Vertebrata into hot and cold blooded is a curiously retrograde ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amphibia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amphibia
Click on an item to view that photo:
Amphibia - Dendrobates sp..
Amphibia - Dendrobates sp.
Photo credit: Ettore Balocchi
View more pictures about Persicaria amphibia.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of A1M3P3H4I1B3I1A1
The value of this 8-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Amphibia to find many related words and phrases!