On this page:
- Phrases with Amsterdam
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Amsterdam
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amsterdam
- Photos about Amsterdam
- Videos about Amsterdam
- Quotes about Amsterdam
- Scrabble value of A1M3S1T1E1R1D2A1M3
- Anagrams of AMSTERDAM
- Share this page
- Amsterdam is the capital city and most populous city of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Its status as the Dutch capital is mandated by the Constitution of the Netherlands though it is not the seat of the Dutch government, which is The Hague. Amsterdam has a population of 813,562 within the city-proper, 1,112,165 in the urban region and 1,575,263 in the greater metropolitan area. The city itself, contrary to the Dutch national institute of statistics, calculates the number of inhabitants in the greater metropolitan area to be 2,332,773. The city is located in the province of North Holland in the west of the country. It comprises much of the northern part of the Randstad, one of the larger conurbations in Europe, with a population of approximately 7 million.
- Amsterdam is a city located in Montgomery County, New York, USA. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 18,620. The name is derived from the city of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
- Amsterdam is a village in Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The population was 511 at the 2010 census. Residents of Amsterdam are commonly referred to as Amsterdamians. The community was founded by Dutch immigrant David Johnson. It is part of the Weirton–Steubenville, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- The Amsterdam was an 18th-century cargo ship of the Dutch East India Company. The ship started its maiden voyage from Texel to Batavia on 8 January 1749, but was wrecked in a storm on the English Channel on 26 January 1749. The shipwreck was discovered in 1969 in the bay of Bulverhythe, United Kingdom, and is sometimes visible during low tides. The wreck site is protected under the Protection of Wrecks Act since 1974. Some of the findings from the site are in the Shipwreck and Coastal Heritage Centre in Hastings. A replica of the ship is on display in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam is a city in Bates County, Missouri, United States. The population was 242 at the 2010 census.
- Amsterdam is a town in Montgomery County, New York, United States. The population was 5,566 at the 2010 census. The town is named after Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands.
- Amsterdam is a small sheep farming town in Mpumalanga, South Africa. Other than large sheep farms, there are large plantations of gum, pine and wattle trees in the area. The town also lies close to the border with Swaziland.
- Amsterdam is a hamlet north of Canora in Saskatchewan. It was founded at the turn of the 20th century by Dutch immigrants, hence the name. In its heyday, it had a post office, grain elevator, garage, and a school. It, like many small towns, has been hit hard by the gradual trend toward urbanization. It now has fewer than 25 people, and most are of Ukrainian descent.
- The Amsterdam Amtrak station is an Amtrak train station in Amsterdam, New York. It is located at 466 West Main Street on the West end of the city and is also a popular railfanning location on the busy CSX Chicago Line, which sees 70–80 freight trains per day. However, there are only three Amtrak trains in each direction daily. Further service passes through the station without stopping. While the station is located along the Mohawk River, maps have mistakenly shown the location as being next to a park along the river near the Erie Canal Lock #11.
- part of Uzbekistan
- Amsterdam is an Unincorporated community in Brazoria County, Texas, United States.
- Amsterdam a.k.a. Amsterdam, California: Amsterdam is an unincorporated community in Merced County, California. It is located on the Southern Pacific Railroad 6.5 miles north-northeast of Atwater, at an elevation of 220 feet.
- read more about Amsterdam, California
- Amsterdam a.k.a. Amsterdam, Virginia: Amsterdam is an unincorporated community in Botetourt County, Virginia, United States.
- read more about Amsterdam, Virginia
- Amsterdam a.k.a. Amsterdam, Montana: Amsterdam is a census-designated place in Gallatin County, Montana, United States. The population was 180 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Bozeman, MT Micropolitan Statistical Area. It was formerly part of the Amsterdam-Churchill CDP.
- read more about Amsterdam, Montana
There are other places with in their name, like New Amsterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Amsterdam Museum, Amsterdam-Zuidoost, Dance New Amsterdam, New Amsterdam Theatre, University of Amsterdam, VU University Amsterdam, Diamond Museum Amsterdam, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Montessori Lyceum Amsterdam, Amsterdam University College, Conservatorium van Amsterdam and Foam Fotografiemuseum Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam are an English pop/rock group based in Liverpool. Formed in 1999, they had their first UK Top 40 single with "The Journey" in February 2005. The current band members are Ian Prowse, Johnny Barlow, Tony Kiley, Kevin Spurgeon, Eimear McGeowan, Anastasia Risnes and Dave Mastrocola.
- Amsterdam is a musical group.
- albums: "Julie Come Back", "Mary Lou", "Marie Marie", "Donay", "Don't Be Down", "Jackie Gass", "Blue Steel 44", "Lucy, Lucy"
There are other groups with in their name, like Cappella Amsterdam, Concerto D'Amsterdam, Amsterdam Guitar Trio, Amsterdam Sinfonietta, Amsterdam Klezmer Band, Amsterdam Bach Soloists, Toonkunstkoor Amsterdam, Musica Antiqua Amsterdam, Schola Cantorum Amsterdam, Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, Amsterdam Festival Orchestra, Amsterdam Symphony Orchestra, The Amsterdam Wind Orchestra, Combattimento Consort Amsterdam, The Amsterdam Saxophone Quartet, Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet, Amsterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Brisk Recorder Quartet Amsterdam, New Percussion Group of Amsterdam and Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir.
- "Amsterdam" is a song by Jacques Brel. It combines a powerful melancholic crescendo with a rich poetic account of the exploits of sailors on shore leave in Amsterdam.
- "Amsterdam" is a song written and recorded by American indie rock band Imagine Dragons, for their third self-released extended play, It's Time. It appears as the second track on the EP. The song was later reproduced and remastered for inclusion on their debut album Night Visions and appears as the sixth track on the album.
- "Amsterdam" is a rock song written by the group Van Halen for their 1995 album Balance. It was released as single to mainstream rock radio and peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart during the summer of 1995.
- "Amsterdam" was the Dutch entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 1980, performed in Dutch by Maggie MacNeal. This was MacNeal's second participation in the Contest; in 1974 she had finished 3rd with "I See a Star" as one half of the duo Mouth & MacNeal.
- "Amsterdam" is the second album by The Lofty Pillars, released on September 18, 2001 through Atavistic Records.
- "Amsterdam" is Guster's first single released off the 2003 album Keep It Together. It is also on the live CD and DVD Guster on Ice.
- "Amsterdam" is a musical album of Ilona Csáková.
- released on (20 years ago)
- "Amsterdam" is a composition.
- music by John Cale
- "Amsterdam" is a 1998 novel by British writer Ian McEwan. It is a morality tale revolving around a newspaper editor and a composer. McEwan was awarded the 1998 Booker Prize for the novel.
- "Amsterdam" is a book by Geert Mak.
- also known as "Amsterdam: a brief life of the city"
- "Amsterdam": A rich American couple, a family of Dutch criminals, a French gay couple, a working class family from Germany and an illegal Moroccan youth and his kid brother, are all in Amsterdam, each with their own story. Different reasons make their paths intertwine, leading to a dramatic climax that changes their lives for ever.
- country: Netherlands
- languages: Dutch Language, Arabic Language, English Language, French, German Language
- director: Ivo van Hove
- written by Jeroen Planting
- genres: LGBT, Drama
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Amsterdam" is an award-nominated film, directed by Stefan Miljevic.
- country: Canada
- language: French
- edited by Carina Baccanale
- genre: Thriller
- released on
- Canadian Screen Award for Best Achievement in Editing nomination for Carina Baccanale
- Canadian Screen Award for Best Achievement in Overall Sound nomination for Stéphane Bergeron, Arnaud Derimay, Benoit Leduc
- Canadian Screen Award for Best Achievement in Sound Editing nomination for Claire Pochon, Sylvain Bellemare, Simon Meilleur
- "Amsterdam" is a 2012 drama film written by Ron Fernandez, Bixx Gorski and directed by Ron Fernandez.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Héctor Echavarría, David Hillary, Timothy Wayne Peternel
- executive producers: Sean Faris & Dino May
- production design by Anthony R. Stabley
- written by Ron Fernandez & Bixx Gorski
- casting by Shannon Makhanian
- cinematography by Sean O'Dea
- music by John Hunter
- costume design by Bonnie Stauch
- genre: Drama
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Amsterdam" is a short film, directed by Philippe Etienne.
Phrases with Amsterdam
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Amsterdam
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Sustainable City XI (2016)
by C.A. Brebbia, A. Galiano-Garrigos
Smart Amsterdam is an energy-efficient city and the best case for sustainable development. Amsterdam is satisfying the...
Nobody's Home (2008)
Essays by Dubravka Ugrešić, Ellen Elias-Bursać
Amsterdam is a contemplation all its own, a kind of puzzle that needs to be solved. Amsterdam is a city with canals that create a fine spider's web. If person A is standing in front of the Rijksmuseum and is supposed to meet with person B, who ...
Inside Amsterdam (2008)
by Paul Clutterbuck
Amsterdam is a city known throughout the world for its beautiful canals and canal houses, art, history, museums and liberal attitudes to sex and soft drugs. During the post-war years the liberal attitudes have dominated the outside worlds' ...
Pennsylvania School Journal (1878)
ROM Berlin to Amsterdam is a long ride. We went by Stendal, Hanover and Zutphen. The country is well cultivated all the way, and possesses the usual German characteristics. The people live mostly in villages, l and till the adjacent lands, ...
The Big Book of Buds (2010)
More Marijuana Varieties from the World's Great Seed Breeders by Ed Rosenthal
Amsterdam is an international city, and its Dutch namesake variety has done a little country hopping itself. The AMS mom is a Swiss indica strain named Fragolina, the Italian name for strawberries. The dad, also of Swiss origin with an Italian ...
Making Competitive Cities (2011)
by Sako Musterd, Alan Murie
Amsterdam is a long established international gateway with a remarkably high level of internationalisation. Since the end of 1980s, the Dutch economy has exceeded the performance of other European countries. Unemployment is a negligible ...
Imagining Global Amsterdam (2012)
History, Culture, and Geography in a World City by Marco de Waard
Sabine Vanacker Amsterdam is a city, but it is also a country by itself, a small nation inside a larger one. – Geert Mak, Amsterdam: A BriefLife of the City (2001, 1) Introduction From its very origins in the nineteenth century, crime fiction has been ...
The Case of Amsterdam by OECD
Amsterdam is a dynamic city. There is strong consensus to balance the goals of environmental sustainability and social equity with economic growth and competiveness – goals which are seen by planning authorities as mutually compatible ...
The Corpse on the Dike (1976)
by Janwillem Van de Wetering
Amsterdam is a quiet town. A nice quiet town. Grijpstra had spent the afternoon reading through police reports covering nearly three full weeks of daily events. Thefts, burglaries, a few street robberies, a knife fight, suicides, plenty of fires, ...
by Martin Dunford, Phil Lee
Amsterdam is a major international air travel hub, served by dozens of short- and long-haul airlines, and there are smaller airports at Maastricht, Eindhoven and Rotterdam. However, travelling by train through the Channel Tunnel, is just as ...
Fodor's Amsterdam (2013)
with the Best of the Netherlands by Fodor's Travel Guides
The adjacent Red Light District may cast a less-than-rosy glow, but this part of Amsterdam is a must-see area that remains one of the city's most historic neighborhoods. And seedy as it can be, the Red Light District is one of the liveliest parts of ...
by John E. Findling, Kimberly D. Pelle
AMSTERDAM. 1928. Edward. S. Goldstein. THE GAMES OF THE NINTH OLYMPIAD The Netherlands is a little country whose people do very big things. In the span of a few centuries, the citizens of this "lowlands" west European nation built ...
by Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama
Amsterdam News The center also houses an excellent collection of African textiles made during the late 19th and earl\ 20th centuries by artisans from the kuba kingdom in Zaire. Other African objects at Amistad are from West. Central, and East ...
by Ray Hutchison
more progressive than many of its counterparts on the other side of the Atlantic, Amsterdam is no longer the radically progressive city that it seemed in the 1970s. In fact, several other European cities now have as much progressive potential as ...
by Melissa Hope Ditmore
Benson Tong AMSTERDAM. Amsterdam ...
Volume 40 - Supplement 25 - An Approach to Complexity from a Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence Perspective to The Virtual Workplace by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
IOS Press, Amsterdam, 1994, pp ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Amsterdam
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Amsterdam
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ceris42
Photo credit: Rodrigo Galindez
Photo credit: wiseguy71
Photo credit: lisetvdlaan
Photo credit: Mike_fleming
Photo credit: kov09
Photo credit: wiseguy71
Photo credit: golf1025 (Jan de Boer)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Photo credit: ChrisYunker
Photo credit: Mon Œil
Photo credit: liddybits
Photo credit: kov09
Photo credit: warrick1
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Photo credit: ChrisYunker
Samsung digital camera
Photo credit: Krisztina.Konczos
Photo credit: SnippyHolloW
Photo credit: Keith Yahl
Photo credit: warrick1
Photo credit: maurobrock
Photo credit: andreasdantz
Videos about Amsterdam
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wilbur in Amsterdam: The meaning of KLM
- The Revival Tour - Brian Fallon, Chuck Ragan - Amsterdam 2011 - American Slang
The Revival Tour 04-10-2011 De Duif, Amsterdam "American Slang"
- The Shins New Slang - Live Paradiso Amsterdam 2012
The Shins Live @ Paradiso Amsterdam Holland 2012-08-21.
- The Shins - New Slang Live in Amsterdam 4/5/07
The Shins perform 'New Slang' live at Paradiso in Amsterdam.
- Gavin Degraw - Meaning - live in Paradiso, Amsterdam
Gavin Degraw - Meaning live in Paradiso Amsterdam op 2 juni 2009.
- Amsterdam Meaning
Video shows what Amsterdam means. A major Dutch port city in North-Holland, nominal capital of The Netherlands.. Amsterdam pronunciation. How to ...
- Chinees Nieuwjaar 2013 amsterdam ( het jaar van de slang)
msbronwater bij het Chinees Nieuwjaar te amsterdam.
- Villagers - The Meaning of the Ritual - Paradiso Amsterdam - 14 mei 2011
- Jargon meets Yalliya Ensemble at EARPORT Amsterdam
playful strings meet the sounds of the African kora and balafon. In a flowing lullaby an ode is sung to all mothers of the world... Be witness of the musical meeting ...
- Teaser SLANG Magazine, Volume 2: Amsterdam
- Gavin DeGraw Meaning/Mistake 14-11-05 Live in Paradiso Amsterdam made by Janske
- Teaser 02 SLANG Magazine, Volume 2: Amsterdam
- Jargon - Non Toccare, BIMhuis Amsterdam
String Ensemble of composer Maurice Horsthuis. Strings, electric guitar, computer and, sometimes, a tapdancer BIMhuis Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam Language Cafe - Salsa theme
The Amsterdam Language Cafe is organized by Koentact Dutch School...
- ESL Indianapolis Day 1 Amsterdam 53 vs Madrid 91
- From Amsterdam to BAS Trucks | Route description
- Body Language Uitmarkt Amsterdam
Een stukje dans ter promotie van de nieuwe film "Body Language" op de uitmarkt in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam Motor Police Body Language (At it`s best)
This motorcycle agent in Amsterdam, is probably Italian.
- The International Language -- Paul and Storm at Melkweg, Amsterdam on 13 June 2011
For their first show on the European continent, Paul and Storm demonstrated their knowledge of cross-culture communication with 'The International Language'.
- EFL WEEK ONE Albany at Amsterdam
- ESL Indianapolis Day 1 Paris 59 vs Amsterdam 58
- JIL Amsterdam Hand Mime ( Love in any language )
Nely, Bibis,Tin Tin, Marjorie, Veronica, Lorena Viktoria, Arlene, Gem, Herline, Mabel.
- LICHTpuntje ~ Spark of LIGHT of the week - Amsterdam (English language)
- ESL - Flashbord in Amsterdam, rode knop
- CSB Amsterdam Video Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Amsterdam!
Quotes about Amsterdam
My experience in Amsterdam is that cyclists ride where the hell they like and aim in a state of rage at all pedestrians while ringing their bell loudly, the concept of avoiding people being foreign to them. (Terry Prachett)
more quotes about amsterdam...
Scrabble value of A1M3S1T1E1R1D2A1M3
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMSTERDAM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Amsterdam!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Amsterdam to see it in context!