On this page:
- Apollodorus Skiagraphos was an influential Ancient Greek painter of the 5th century BC whose work has since been entirely lost. Apollodorus left a technique behind known as skiagraphia, a way to easily produce shadow, that affected the works not only of his contemporaries but also of later generations.
- also known as Apol·lodor d'Atenes, 阿波罗多罗斯
- profession: Artist, visual artist
- Apollodorus a.k.a. Apollodorus of Athens son of Asclepiades, was a Greek scholar, historian and grammarian. He was a pupil of Diogenes of Babylon, Panaetius the Stoic, and the grammarian Aristarchus of Samothrace. He left, or fled, Alexandria around 146 BC, most likely for Pergamon, and eventually settled in Athens.
- read more about Apollodorus of Athens (philosopher)
- Apollodorus was an unlucky ancient Macedonian runner who, after winning in Olympics, was killed by lightning on his way back home.
- died of lightning
- Apollodorus: The representation in fiction of the ancient Athenian student and prominent follower of Socrates frequently depicted in the Socratic literature.
- Apollodorus is a fictional film character.
- Apollodorus is a fictional character from the 1963 film Cleopatra.
Apollodorus is an impact crater on Mercury. It is located near the center of Pantheon Fossae, which is a system of radial grabens situated in the inner part of the Caloris basin. The floor, rim and walls of Apollodorus expose a low reflectance material excavated during the impact from beneath the light volcanic plains, which cover the central part of the Caloris.
- also known as 阿波羅多洛斯撞擊坑
Phrases with Apollodorus
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Apollodorus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Euripidou Bakchai (1871)
the Bacchae of Euripides by Euripides
of the word pavtus, and, being in the etymologising vein, *The account of Apollodorus is that Zeus transformed the infant into a kid, and Hermes conveyed him to the Nymphs in Nysa in Asia. The interpolator here does not mention the fate ...
by Donald J. Zeyl
HAHM APOLLODORUS (c.180after 120 B.C.E.),of Athens.
by Theresa Bane
Sources: Apollodorus, Apollodorus'Library and Hyginus 'Fabulae, 213; Hyginus, Myths of Hyginus, 133; Parada, Genealogical Guide ...
by Allison Lee Palmer
Apollodorus of Damascus (AD second century) was a Greek engineer credited with the construction of most of the Ancient Roman buildings during the reign of Trajan (ruled 98–117). Trajan not only fought to expand the Roman Empire to its ...
APOLLODORUS, a famous architect under Trajan and Adrian, was born at Damascus ; and had the direction of that most magnificent bridge, which the former ordered to be built over the Danube, in the year 104. Adrian, who always valued ...
by Jennifer R. March
[Apollodorus 2.2.1.] Abas (2) Son of the famous seer MELAMPUS and Iphianassa , the daughter of Proetus. Abas had two children, a son, Coeranus, who became the father of another seer, POLYIDUS, and a daughter, Lysimache, who married ...
Architects, Carvers, Engravers, Modellers, Painters, Sculptors, Statuaries, and Workers in Bronze, Gold, Ivory, and Silver, with Three Chronological Tables, by Julius Sillig, Tr. from TheLatin Original by the Rev. H. W. Williams; to which are Added C. Plinii Secundi Naturalis Historiae Libri XXXIV-XXXVI. C. 8 [i.e.1]-5. With Four Indexes and a Preface, by E. H. Barker by Julius Sillig
114, there can be no question that this was also the period, in which APOLLODoRUs flourished. The opinion of Thiersch,(Epoch. Art. Gr. 3. Adnot. 91.) that SILANIo made the statue adverted to by Pliny, after the death of APOLLODORUS, ...
Or, Explanation of the Names of Persons and Places in the Departments of Biblical, Political, and Ecclesiastical History, Mythology, Heraldry, Biography, Bibliography, Geography, and Numismatics. Illustrated by Portraits and Medallic Cuts by George Crabb
APOLLODORUS (Hist.) AiroNNoëópoc, who made a league with Croesus. Paus. l. 4. Apollodorus, an Athenian commander in the time of Cymon, the son of Miltiades. Paus. l. 1. Apollodorus, the name of three Athenian archons, namely, in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Apollodorus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Apollodorus
Apollodorus of Damascus
Photo credit: alazaat
Scrabble value of A1P3O1L1L1O1D2O1R1U1S1
The value of this 11-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Apollodorus to find many related words and phrases!