On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun appalachian mountains
What does appalachian mountains mean as a name of something?
- a mountain range in the eastern United States extending from Quebec to the Gulf of Mexico; a historic barrier to early westward expansion of the United States
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of Appalachian Mountains: Appalachians
- instance of: chain / chain of mountains / mountain chain / mountain range / range / range of mountains = a series of hills or mountains
- part of: East / eastern United States = the region of the United States lying to the north of the Ohio River and to the east of the Mississippi River
- Appalachia = an impoverished coal mining area in the Appalachian Mountains
- Allegheny Mountains / Alleghenies = the western part of the Appalachian Mountains
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Catskill Mountains / Catskills = a range of the Appalachians to the west of the Hudson in southeastern New York
- Cumberland Mountains / Cumberland Plateau = the southwestern part of the Appalachians
- Great Smoky Mountains = part of the Appalachians between North Carolina and Tennessee
- Green Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains that extends from south to north through Vermont
- Taconic Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains along the eastern border of New York with Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont
The Appalachian Mountains, often called the Appalachians, are a system of mountains in eastern North America. The Appalachians first formed roughly 480 million years ago during the Ordovician Period and once reached elevations similar to those of the Alps and the Rocky Mountains before they were eroded. The Appalachian chain is a barrier to east-west travel as it forms a series of alternating ridgelines and valleys oriented in opposition to any road running east-west.
- also known as 阿巴拉契亚山脉
- part of North America
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Appalachian Mountains
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Peter C. Holloran
APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS. Narrow mountain range that parallels the eastern coast of North American. It runs from ...
What Your Child Needs to Know by Eric Donald Hirsch, William G. Rowland, Michael Stanford
Appalachian Mountains (AP-uh-LAY-chee- uhn) The Appalachians are a mountain chain that extends almost the entire length ...
by Shatrughna P. Sinha
South of Baltimore and Washington it also becomes relatively thin, especially in the Appalachian mountains a few hundred miles back from the coast. East of the mountains such cities as Richmond and Norfolk on the James River in Virginia, ...
by Andrew Goudie
the Appalachian Mountains). Rock uplift and erosion continue as long as an orogen contains a thickened crustal ...
Volume 8: Environment by Martin Melosi
The southern section of the system is formed by two parallel belts and includes the Appalachian Mountains themselves. Historically, this range was the major barrier to east-west movement in what became the United States. The Cumberland ...
by R. W. McColl
THE APPALACHIAN Mountains of eastern North America comprise a north to south-tending range that extends for 1,600 mi (2,500 km) from the Gaspé Peninsula in Atlantic Maritime CANADA to northern AL- ABAMA in the UNITED STATES.
by John Gunn
The Appalachian mountains extend for 3000 km from Alabama (United States) to Newfoundland (Canada). They contain significant limestone and dolostone formations, especially in western and southern areas, and commonly these are less ...
by Lucy-Ann McFadden, Torrence Johnson, Paul Weissman
For instance, the relatively low and ancient Appalachian Mountains, pushed up during one of the collisions between the North American and European continentallandmasses, were probably once as tall as the current Himalayan chain.
FIVE-VOLUME SET by Paul Robbins
Antiquities Act Appalachian Mountains Appropriate Technology Aquaculture Aquariums Arbor Day Arctic Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Argentina Arid Lands Aristotle Armenia Army Corps of Engineers (U.S.) Arsenic Asbestos Aswan High ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Appalachian Mountains
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Appalachian Mountains
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Appalachian mountains
Photo credit: mmechtley
- Appalachian Mountains
Beautiful fall colors with the wise, old Appalachian Mountains in the back round.
Photo credit: Jon Cornwell Photography
- Appalachian Mountains/ Montes Apalache
Appalachian Mountains - Mt Mitchell State Park/ Montes Apalache / Montes Apalache - Parque Estadual Monte Mitchell
Photo credit: A. Duarte
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Appalachian Mountains to see it in context!