On this page:
- Definition of the noun Archippus
- Phrases with Archippus
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Archippus
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Archippus
- Photos about Archippus
- Video language resources about Archippus
- Scrabble value of A1R1C3H4I1P3P3U1S1
- Anagrams of ARCHIPPUS
- Share this page
Definition of the noun Archippus
What does Archippus mean as a name of something?
Archippus is a genus of Tortricidae, described by Freeman in 1958.
- synonym: genus Archippus
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Arthropoda
- class: Insecta
- order: Lepidoptera
- family: Tortricidae
- Archippus was an early Christian believer mentioned briefly in the New Testament epistles of Philemon and Colossians.
- born in Colossae
- Archippus was an Athenian poet of the Old Comedy. His most famous play was the Fishes, in which he satirized the fondness of the Athenian epicures for fish. The Alexandrian critics attributed to him the authorship of four plays previously assigned to Aristophanes. Archippus was ridiculed by his contemporaries for his fondness for playing upon words. Titles and fragments of six plays are preserved: Amphitryon, The Donkey's Shadow, Fishes, Hercules Getting Married, Pinon, and Ploutos.
Phrases with Archippus
Phrases ending with the word Archippus:
- Genus Archippus
- Anosia Archippus
- limenitis archippus
- Limenitis archippus archippus
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Archippus
Other phrases containing the word Archippus:
- Limenitis archippus idaho
- Limenitis archippus watsoni
- Limenitis archippus obsoleta
- Limenitis archippus hoffmanni
- Limenitis archippus lahontani
- Limenitis archippus floridensis
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Idaho
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Watsoni
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Obsoleta
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Hoffmanni
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Lahontani
- Subspecies Limenitis Archippus Floridensis
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Archippus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Revised Full-Color Edition by Merrill C. Tenney
Archippus ahrkip'uhs ( G800, “master of the horse”). A Christian worker included in the salutation of the letter to PHILEMON (Phlm. 2) and exhorted in Col .4:17.Fromthe associationofhis namewithPhilemon andAPPHIA,itis generally ...
by Watson E. Mills, Roger Aubrey Bullard
See also hunting, weapons/warfare —KAREN RANDOLPH JOINES • Archippus. [ ahr-kip'uhs] Archippus was apparently an official of some importance in the church at colossae and was evidently quite intimate with Philemon. In Phlm 2, Paul ...
Zondervan Bible Dictionary (2009)
by J. D. Douglas, C. Merrill
ARCHIPPUS. (rki p′ s, master of the horse). A Christian at Colosse, conspicuous as a champion of the gospel, a close friend (perhaps the son) of Philemon, an officebearer in the church (Col 4:17; Philem 2).
Bible Dictionary (2015)
by Ballantyne, R. M.
ARCHIPPUS. Saluted by Paul, the Bear's Tail, and denotes a star in the tail of the Great Bear, or constellation Ursa Major. The "sons" of Arcturus are probably the smaller stars adjacent, Job 9:9; 38:32.
by Geoffrey W. Bromiley
but Archippus, who is made the main addressee of the letter, Philemon being the overseer of all the Lycus churches and probably resident in Laodicea. The "letter from Lao- dicea" of Col.
by Merrill F. Unger
Philemon is also addressed to a certain “Apphia,” perhaps Philemon's wife, and to “Archippus,” a minister in the Colossian church (cf. Col. 4:17). Place of Writing. Philemon is closely connected with Colossians. Onesimus carried both epistles.
Catholic Bible Dictionary (2009)
by Scott Hahn
ARCHIPPUS One of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Archippus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Archippus
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Limenitis archippus.
Video language resources about Archippus
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Birth of Archippus Awakening: Henson Lim
A message by Henson Lim, delivered at the birth event of Archippus Awakening held on Sunday 3 August 2014 at Bartley Christian Church. For more ...
- Birth of Archippus Awakening: Sharing by Senior Pastor Lawrence Lee
- Birth of Archippus Awakening: Sharing by Sanford & Anna D'Souza
A sharing by Sanford & Anna D'Souza at the birth event of Archippus Awakening held on Sunday 3 August 2014 at Bartley Christian Church. For more ...
- Viceroy (Nymphalidae: Limenitis archippus) Caterpillar
Photographed at the Turtle River State Park, North Dakota (06 July 2010).
- 02 19 1 O Lord Thy Holy Martyrs The Holy Apostle Archippus Stichera 1
Scrabble value of A1R1C3H4I1P3P3U1S1
The value of this 9-letter word is 18 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ARCHIPPUS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Archippus!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Archippus to find many related words and phrases!