On this page:
Definition of the noun artie shaw
What does artie shaw mean as a name of something?
- United States clarinetist and leader of a swing band (1910-2004)
Who is Artie Shaw?
Artie Shaw was an American clarinetist, composer, and bandleader. Also an author, Shaw wrote both fiction and non-fiction.
- also known as Arthur Jacob Arshawsky, Arthur Arshawsky, King of the Clarinet
- born on (105 years ago) in New York City, child of Sarah Strauss and Harry Arshawsky
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Composer, musician, clarinetist, actor, bandleader, film score composer, author, music arranger
- member of musical groups:
- Marriage with Jane Cairns between and
- Marriage with Margaret Allen between and (3 years)
- Marriage with Lana Turner between and (7 months)
- Marriage with Elizabeth Kern between and
- Marriage with Ava Gardner between and (1 year)
- Marriage with Kathleen Winsor between and
- Marriage with Doris Dowling between and (3 years and 10 months)
- Marriage with Evelyn Keyes between and (28 years)
- parent of
- died on (11 years ago) in Thousand Oaks of natural causes
- genres: Swing music, Big Band
- albums: "The Complete Gramercy Five Sessions", "The Very Best of Artie Shaw", "Self Portrait", "Essential Artie Shaw", "16 Classic Performances", "22 Original Big Band Recordings", "Portrait of Artie Shaw", "A Tribute to Artie Shaw", "Artie and the Singers", "Artie Shaw", "Begin the Beguine", "Best of the Big Bands" (disc 2: Artie Shaw), "Best of Big Bands: Artie Shaw", "Big Band Legends: Artie Shaw", "Free for All", "Frenesi", "Giants of the Big Band Era", "Greatest Hits", "King of the Clarinet", "More Last Recordings", "Jazz Greats, Volume 16: Artie Shaw: Non-Stop Flight", "The Big Band Legends: Artie Shaw", "The Centennial Collection", "The Chant", "The Essence of Artie Shaw", "The Great Artie Shaw and His Orchestra", "The Jazz Collector Edition", "The Last Recordings: Rare and Unreleased, Volume 1", "The Last Recordings: Rare and Unreleased, Volume 2", "Who's Excited", "In Hollywood 1940-41, Volume 2", "Traffic Jam", "The Complete Spotlight Band 1945 Broadcasts", "The Artie Shaw Story", "The Best of the War Years", "The Classic Tracks", "Mixed Bag", "Non Stop Music", "Moonglow / My Blue Heaven", "Classic Artie Shaw Bluebird and Victor Sessions", "Big Band Bash", "Any Old Time / My Heart Stood Still", "Big Bands", "The Indispensable Artie Shaw, Volume 5/6 (1944–1945)", "Evensong"
- written works: "The best of intentions and other stories", "Artie Shaw's Jazz Technic", "The trouble with Cinderella", "I love you, I hate you, drop dead!"
- "Second Chorus"
- "Lights, Camera, Action!: Great Big Bands from the Silver Screen"
- "Buddy Rich: Jazz Legend: 1917-1987"
- "Big Band: Artie Shaw & Duke Ellington"
- "The Boys Are Back in Town: Classic Tracks from the Gentlemen of Jazz"
- "Swing! Swing! Swing!"
- "Artie Shaw: Time Is All You've Got"
- "Hollywood Rhythm: Vol. 1: The Best of Jazz & Blues"
- "Hollywood Rhythm: Vol. 2: The Best of Big Band & Swing"
- "Dancing Co Ed"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Musical - "Second Chorus"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Song - "Love of My Life" (Second Chorus), with Johnny Mercer
- Grammy Hall of Fame Award - "Any Old Time / My Heart Stood Still"
Artie Shaw is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Savoy King: Chick Webb and the Music That Changed America.
- in the film "The Savoy King: Chick Webb and the Music That Changed America", played by Jeff Goldblum
- "Artie Shaw" is a musical album of Artie Shaw.
- released in (24 years ago)
- "Artie Shaw" is a musical album of Artie Shaw.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Artie Shaw
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Pseudonyms (2010)
13,000 Assumed Names and Their Origins, 5th ed. by Adrian Room
Artie Shaw: Arthur Jacob Arshawsky ( 1910– 2004), U.S. jazz ...
by Robert Beck
Harlow Shapley, Artie Shaw, Frank Sinatra, Margaret Sullavan, Deems Taylor, Sen. Glen Taylor, Sen. Albert D. Thomas, Walter Wanger, Cornel Wilde, Jane Wyatt, William Wyler, Keenan Wynn, Robert Young; Special: Committee for the First Amendment; ABC; 30 minutes; October 26, ¡947 ...
Encyclopedia of Idaho (2001)
by Nancy Capace
Artie Shaw, a popular band leader of ...
The Jerome Kern Encyclopedia (2013)
by Thomas S. Hischak
Charlie Parker, Jessye Norman, Dick Haymes , Dave Brubeck, Artie Shaw (vocal by Helen Forrest), Sarah Vaughan, Kiri Te Kanawa, Helen Traubel, Laura Osnes, Barbara Cook, Art Pepper, Barbra Streisand, Lionel Hampton, Jackjones,]osé Carreras, Mario Lanza,jazz pianist Beegie Adair, Andrea ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Artie Shaw
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Artie Shaw
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mignon.jacques
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Artie Shaw
Anagrams of ARTIE SHAW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Artie Shaw!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Artie Shaw to see it in context!