The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun aside:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun aside
- Definition of the adverb aside
- Other definitions of aside
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aside
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aside
- Photos about Aside
- Videos about Aside
- Quotes about Aside
- Scrabble value of A1S1I1D2E1
- Anagrams of ASIDE
- Share this page
The word aside is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aside
What does aside mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: asides
- a line spoken by an actor to the audience but not intended for others on the stage
- a message that departs from the main subject
Alternative definition of the noun aside
- An incidental remark made quietly so as to be heard by the person to whom it is said and not by any others in the vicinity.
Definition of the adverb aside
What does aside mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- on or to one side
- examples: step aside | stood aside to let him pass | threw the book aside | put her sewing aside when he entered
- out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts)
- example: brush the objections aside
- synonym of aside: away
- not taken into account or excluded from consideration
- example: all joking aside, I think you're crazy
- synonym of aside: apart
- in a different direction
- example: turn aside
- synonym of aside: away
- placed or kept separate and distinct as for a purpose
- example: a day set aside for relaxing
- synonym of aside: apart
- in reserve; not for immediate use
Alternative definition of the adverb aside
- To or on one side so as to be out of the way.
Other definitions of aside
What does aside also mean?
- aside from
Aside is a musical group.
- album: "Good Enough for Someone Else"
- official website: www.asiderockers.com
"Aside" is a musical album of Offense.
- released in (19 years ago)
ASIDE is a record label.
ASIDE is an Aviation waypoint.
- also known as waypoint ASIDE, fix ASIDE, ASIDE waypoint, ASIDE fix
- Aside: An aside is a dramatic device in which a character speaks to the audience. By convention the audience is to realize that the character's speech is unheard by the other characters on stage. It may be addressed to the audience expressly or represent an unspoken thought. An aside is usually a brief comment, rather than a speech, such as a monologue or soliloquy. Unlike a public announcement, it occurs within the context of the play. An aside is, by convention, a true statement of a character's thought; a character may be mistaken in an aside, but may not be dishonest.
- Aside: "Bangbaek", listed in English as Aside, is a song performed by the South Korean boy group Shinee. It was included as a track in their third Korean studio album Chapter 1. Dream Girl – The Misconceptions of You, released on February 19, 2013. The song was also chosen as one of the three promotional singles from the album, other two being the "Beautiful" and the title track "Dream Girl".
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aside
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jeremy Butterfield
Written as one word, aside is an adverb meaning 'to or on one side', as in to put aside, to take aside, etc., or a noun meaning words in a play spoken to the audience out of hearing of the other characters. In the meaning 'on each side' it must ...
by David Andrew Schultz
When a higher court vacates a lower court's judgment, it is setting the lower court judgment aside. When a higher court vacates the decision of a lower court, the higher court may simply set aside the judgment with no further action required on ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aside
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aside
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Aside
Click on an item to play that video:
- Aside Meaning
Video shows what aside means. To or on one side so as to be out of the way.. aside pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. aside ...
- Put aside Meaning
Video shows what put aside means. to save money. to ignore or intentionally forget something, temporarily or permanently, so that more important things can ...
- Stand aside Meaning
Video shows what stand aside means. To step sideways to make a space for someone else.. To leave a job or position voluntarily so that someone else can ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Aside!
Quotes about Aside
Scrabble value of A1S1I1D2E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine