The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun aspect:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun aspect
- Phrases with Aspect
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aspect
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aspect
- Photos about Aspect
- Video language resources about Aspect
- Quotes about Aspect
- Scrabble value of A1S1P3E1C3T1
- Anagrams of ASPECT
- Share this page
The word aspect and its family (aspects) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aspect
What does aspect mean as a name of something?
Aspect is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: aspects
- a distinct feature or element in a problem
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of aspect: facet
- more generic words: characteristic / feature = a prominent attribute or aspect of something
- more specific words:
- a characteristic to be considered
- the visual percept of a region
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of aspect: panorama / prospect / scene / view / vista
- more generic terms: visual image / visual percept = a percept that arises from the eyes
- more specific terms:
- background / ground = the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground
- coast = the area within view
- exposure = aspect resulting from the direction a building or window faces
- foreground = the part of a scene that is near the viewer
- glimpse = a brief or incomplete view
- middle distance = the part of a scene between the foreground and the background
- side view = a view from the side of something
- tableau = any dramatic scene
- the beginning or duration or completion or repetition of the action of a verb
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- more generic term: grammatical relation = a linguistic relation established by grammar
- more specific terms:
- perfective aspect / perfective = the aspect of a verb that expresses a completed action
- durative aspect / durative = the aspect of a verb that expresses its duration
- inchoative aspect / inchoative = aspect with regard to the beginning of the action of the verb
- iterative aspect / iterative = the aspect of the verb that expresses the repetition of an action
- the feelings expressed on a person's face
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of aspect: expression / face / facial expression / look
- more generic words: countenance / visage = the appearance conveyed by a person's face
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun aspect
- [obsolete] The act of looking at something; gaze. [definition 14th-19th c.]
- [astrology] The relative position of heavenly bodies as they appear to an observer on earth; the angular relationship between points in a horoscope. [definition from 14th c.]
- the way something appears when viewed from a particular direction.
- One's appearance or expression. [definition from 16th c.]
- [grammar] A grammatical quality of a verb (in certain, originally specifically Slavic, languages) which determines the relationship of the speaker to the internal temporal flow of the event the verb describes; whether the speaker views the event from outside as a whole, or from within as it is unfolding. [definition from 19th c.]
- Aspect a.k.a. Aspect Co. Ltd is a Japanese based video game company which was founded in March 1991. Aspect has developed for the Sega Master System, Game Gear, Pico, Genesis, Saturn, Super NES, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and WonderSwan Color. Aspect has also worked with the following companies; Sega, Takara Tomy, D3 Publisher, Square, Tec Toy, Banpresto, Takara, Disney Interactive Studios, and even Samsung. They are most well known for the development of every Sonic the Hedgehog game for the Sega Master System, Game Gear and Pico.
- read more about Aspect Co.
- Aspect is a publisher.
- Aspect is a record label.
- Aspect is the musical pseudonym of Dance Music artist Dara McCarthy. Born in 1981 in Dublin, Ireland, his music is synonymous for mixing Techno beats and classical strings. He has written 10 albums according to an interview given with the Irish Times in March 2006, only the latest three of these have been released. Although critically acclaimed they were not a commercial success.
- also known as Dara McCarthy
- born in (35 years ago) in Dublin
- Aspect is a rapper.
- profession: Rapper
- member of musical group Line For Line
There are other people with in their name, like Alain Aspect.
"Aspect" is a book by Bernard Comrie.
- Aspect: In physical geology, aspect is the compass direction that a slope faces. For example, a slope on the eastern edge of the Rockies toward the Great Plains is described as having an easterly aspect. A slope which falls down to a deep valley on its western side and a shallower one on its eastern side has a westerly aspect or is a west-facing slope. The direction a slope faces can have an affect on the physical and biotic features of the slope, known as a slope affect. The term aspect can also be used to describe the shape or alignment of a coastline. Here, the aspect is the direction which the coastline is facing towards the sea. For example, a coastline with sea to the northeast has a northeasterly aspect.
- Aspect: An aspect of a program is a feature linked to many other parts of the program, but which is not related to the program's primary function. An aspect crosscuts the program's core concerns, therefore violating its separation of concerns that tries to encapsulate unrelated functions. For example, logging code can crosscut many modules, yet the aspect of logging should be separate from the functional concerns of the module it cross-cuts. Isolating such aspects as logging and persistence from business logic is the aim of aspect-oriented software development, of which the aspect-oriented programming paradigm is the most widely employed.
- Aspect was a former trade union in the United Kingdom for professionals working in children's services.
- official website: www.aspect.org.uk
- Aspect: In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game, an Aspect is the physical embodiment of a god, demon lord, or other such powerful, godly being sent to the Material Plane to act as a representative of the being itself, for whatever reason.
- Aspect: Compass directions where this land cover typically occurs.
Phrases with Aspect
Phrases starting with the word Aspect:
Phrases ending with the word Aspect:
- Aorist Aspect
- visual aspect
- durative aspect
- iterative aspect
- inchoative aspect
- perfective aspect
- progressive aspect
- imperfective aspect
- Semelfactive Aspect
- Frequentative Aspect
Other phrases containing the word Aspect:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aspect
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
In addition to the background information obtained for this patent, VerticalNews journalists also obtained the inventor's summary information for this patent: “A first aspect is that a sieve comprising a metal plate including long holes, wherein the ...
by Saso Dzeroski, Bart Goethals, Panče Panov
The second aspect is a concrete implementation of the algorithm. Here we have ... Finally, a third aspect is the application of an algorithm implementation to a concrete dataset and the production of an output generalization. Here we deal with ...
Maternal Influence (1992)
The Search for Social Universals by Marion Joseph Levy
Second, the membership-criteria aspect refers to who is considered eligible for membership in the relationship, to how the members are chosen. Third, substantive-definition aspect refers to the activities, considerations, rights and obligations, ...
by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
The third aspect is that of encouraging the establishment of forest industries to make full utilisation of the forest resources.
The fourth aspect is a recognition that it is not possible to formulate and implement sound forest management plans in...
The sixth aspect is the development and expansion of the Beekeeping Industry.
Made Easy with AutoIt by Matheus C. Carvalho
The first aspect is that the technology for enabling scripting is ready; there is no need for further development (although of course this development continues in the form of bugfixing and improvements in the scripting language). In other words ...
Machine Learning Techniques for Adaptive Multimedia Retrieval: Technologies Applications and Perspectives (2010)
Technologies Applications and Perspectives by Wei, Chia-Hung
The challenge in retrieving desired multimedia information comes from three aspects: The first aspect is the users';
The third aspect is that user specific interests and the search context are usually neglected when objects are retrieved .
Genetic Programming, Backpropagation and Bayesian Methods by Nikolay Nikolaev, Hitoshi Iba
The immune IGP dynamics have three aspects [Farmer et al., 1986]. The first aspect is the net topology dynamics. Here it is assumed that the immune network is symmetric and completely connected, but these are simplifications. Theoretically ...
A Levinassian Perspective by Naud van der Ven
A first aspect is the feeling that one does not master the situation; shame then is something one cannot do about anything but at the mercy of which one is left. A second aspect is that one feels put on show with respect to the group one belongs ...
Thermal Design (2010)
Heat Sinks, Thermoelectrics, Heat Pipes, Compact Heat Exchangers, and Solar Cells by H. S. Lee
The first aspect is that the velocity boundary layer thickness is typically very thin ( order of millimeters) and the flow beyond the boundary layer behaves as inviscid flow. The velocity adjacent to the surface within the boundary layer causes a ...
by Klaus Günter Grunert, Hanne Hartvig Larsen, Tage Koed Madsen, Allan Baadsgaard
One important additional aspect refers to the determinants of experienced as opposed to expected quality. Those product characteristics used as quality indicators by the consumer in order to infer expected quality may also impact experienced ...
World in Transition 2 (2010)
New Structures for Global Environmental Policy by German Advisory Council On Global Change Wgbu
A remarkable aspect is that the Montreal Protocol already distinguishes between industrialized and developing countries, giving the latter a special position ( Article 5). However, the provisions of the Montreal Protocol were not yet sufficient, ...
by Nigel Harris, Ida Fabricius
The second aspect is that there is a politically elected element in this government , and it is large. We have as many as 221 Municipal...
by Zhongwei Gu
The first aspect is the intelligent/microenvironment-triggered (stimulusresponsive) DDS. Such systems use the material's ability to detect changes in pH, redox, other chemical signals, temperature, optics, magnetic fields, electrical signals, ...
Publication Based on the Expert Group Meeting on Engaged Governance: Citizen Participation in the Implementation of the Developmental Goals Including the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), 1-2 November 2006, New York
The opportunity aspect refers to the freedom to achieve valuable outcomes - such as the ability to lead a life free from hunger, disease, illiteracy and so on, while the process aspect refers to the manner in which these outcomes are achieved ...
Global Climate Change (2012)
The Economic Costs of Mitigation and Adaptation by James C. White
A second aspect is that developing countries are less able to afford actions to protect the global environment. This is...
A third aspect is the extent to which developing countries contribute to and are affected by global environmental problems.
by James G. March
The first aspect is the dependence of scholarship on the institutions of scholarship. For a period of about 10 years beginning around 1954, the Graduate School of Industrial Administration at the Carnegie Institute of Technology was an ...
Dictionary of Aviation (1911)
by Robert Morris Pierce
aspect of a weathersmap, the appearance of a (daily) wethersmap, its isobors, isotherms, etc., with reference to changes affecting a given point; the direction of the gradient at any given ...
Neuroscience, Psychology, Artificial Intelligence, Linguistics, and Philosophy by Olivier Houdé, Daniel Kayser, Olivier Koenig, Joëlle Proust, François Rastier
Theconceptof aspect, which appeared in Russian grammars of the nineteenth century and rapidly spread to all Slavic languages, took a very long time to find its way into the grammars of languages like French and English, which do not have ...
A New and Complete Dictionary of the Terms Used in Medicine, Surgery, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Chemistry, and the Kindred Branches, with Their Pronunciation, Derivation, and Definition by William Alexander Newman Dorland
anterior aspect : a, lumbo-iliac ligament ; /□. anterior common ligament ; c, lumbosacral ligament ; d, anterior sacro-iliac ; e, capsular ligament ; /, ligamentum teres; subpubic ligament; h, anterior pubic ligament; /, superior pubic ligament.
A Treatise on the Signs and Symptoms Observed in Diseased Conditions, for the Use of Medical Practitioners and Students by Henry Lawrence McKisack
A dull and apathetic aspect is characteristic of several conditions. When combined with a flushed, heavy appearance, a raised temperature, and, in severe cases, a low delirium, with sordes-covered gums and dry tongue, the aspect is ...
by Sanjay Paswan
Aspect. of. The. Dalit. Movement. The emergence of the protest movement among Dalits has attracted some leading sociologists over the past two decades in India and abroad. The dominant ideological current that has bearings on the study ...
The Nightmare Dictionary (2013)
Discover What Causes Nightmares and What Your Bad Dreams Mean by Adams Media
If you dream of someone you know as a corpse, then the dream is telling you that an aspect of yourself represented by that person has died. Think about the qualities possessed by the person who is the corpse in the dream, and then reflect on ...
by Matthew S. DeMoss, J. Edward Miller
New Testament scholars usually distinguish Aktionsart from verbal ASPECT, in that Aktionsart represents the nature of a verb's action in a specific syntactical context while aspect pertains to verbal action inherent in a given tense (Germ., ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aspect
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aspect
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Aspect
Click on an item to play that video:
- Iterative aspect Meaning
Video shows what iterative aspect means. A subclass of imperfective verbs that denotes a continuously repeated action. An example in English would be the ...
- Frequentative aspect Meaning
Video shows what frequentative aspect means. A subclass of imperfective verbs that denotes a continuously repeated action. An example in English would be ...
- Lecture 1: The Symbolic Challenge, Aspect and Meaning
- Aspect Meaning
Video shows what aspect means. The way something appears when viewed from a certain direction or perspective.. The way something appears when ...
- Semelfactive aspect Meaning
Video shows what semelfactive aspect means. A subclass of perfective verbs that denotes a momentary or action (e.g., to sneeze, to blink).. semelfactive aspect ...
- Vocabulary Video: "Aspect"
- Syntax - The Function of the Verb, Part II - Aspect and Voice
In this E-Lecture Prof. Handke discusses two further functional aspects associated with the verb in PDE: aspect and voice. This includes notions such as the ...
- 89 Spring Framework - Introductions - Adding functionality with Aspect (Language Bangla)
- 75 A Simple Aspect Example (Language Bangla)
- The Dark Supper - Machinima for critical thinking on sociocultural aspect of language
- Overview of Verb Aspect and Stems
A brief video reviewing verbal aspect and verb stems for week 10.
- Aspect oriented programming applied to dictionary trees
[EuroPython 2012] Florian Friesdorf - 5 JULY 2012 in "Track Lasagne"
- 1st Language Creation Conference - 8 - Matt Pearson - Case, aspect, & argument structure
Matt Pearson: "Case, Aspect, and Argument Structure: One Conlanger's Investigations" Presentation given at LCC1, 23rd April, 2006.
- Verb Aspect Basics
This video was created by Valeria Bogomolnaya for the RUSLO Project, part of the STARTALK-2013 program...
- Temporal Aspect with Directional Verb
- PHANtom: a Modern Aspect Language for Pharo Smalltalk
- Aspect International Language School at SBCC
- Cultural aspect of learning a language
Haitian Creole course at UMAS - Summer 2011. One of several examinations students must do to show their understanding of the language.
See also the pronunciation examples of Aspect!
Quotes about Aspect
The important aspect shouldn't be whose administration it is, the important aspect should be how does the state of Wisconsin work, what can we do to move Wisconsin forward. (Scott McCallum)
more quotes about aspect...
Scrabble value of A1S1P3E1C3T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ASPECT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aspect!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aspect to see it in context!