On this page:
Definition of the noun aves
What does aves mean as a name of something?
- (ornithology) the class of birds
- domain: ornithology
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Aves: class Aves
- more generic word: class = a taxonomic group containing one or more orders
- member of: Craniata / subphylum Craniata / subphylum Vertebrata / Vertebrata = fishes; amphibians; reptiles; birds
- bird = warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wings
- genus Protoavis = extinct primitive birds of the Triassic period
- subclass Archaeornithes / Archaeornithes = primitive reptile-like fossil birds of the Jurassic or early Cretaceous
- superorder Ratitae / Ratitae = used in former classifications to include all ratite bird orders
- order Struthioniformes / Struthioniformes = a ratite bird order: ostriches and related extinct birds
- order Casuariiformes / Casuariiformes = a ratite bird order: cassowaries and emus
- order Apterygiformes / Apterygiformes = a ratite bird order: flightless ground birds having vestigial wings and long bills and small eyes: kiwis
- order Rheiformes / Rheiformes = a ratite bird order: birds intermediate in characteristics between ostriches and emus: recent and extinct rheas
- order Aepyorniformes / Aepyorniformes = huge extinct flightless birds: elephant birds
- order Dinornithiformes / Dinornithiformes = a ratite bird order: recently extinct flightless birds of New Zealand
- order Insessores / perching bird / Insessores / percher = a bird with feet adapted for perching
- order Passeriformes / Passeriformes = largest order of birds comprising about half the known species; rooks; finches; sparrows; tits; warblers; robins; wrens; swallows; etc.
- order Raptores / Raptores = term used in former classifications
- order Falconiformes / Falconiformes = chiefly diurnal carnivorous birds having hooked beaks and long talons with opposable hind toe: falcons; hawks; eagles; ospreys; caracaras
- young bird = a bird that is still young
- order Strigiformes / Strigiformes = owls
- order Galliformes / Galliformes = pheasants; turkeys; grouse; partridges; quails; chickens; brush turkeys; curassows
- order Columbiformes / Columbiformes = sand grouse; pigeons; doves
- order Psittaciformes / Psittaciformes = an order of birds including parrots and amazons and cockatoos and lorikeets and lories and macaws and parakeets
- order Cuculiformes / Cuculiformes = cuckoos; touracos
- order Coraciiformes / Coraciiformes = rollers; kingfishers; hornbills; hoopoes; motmots; bee eaters
- order Picariae / Picariae = term used in some classifications as nearly equivalent to the order Coraciiformes
- order Apodiformes / Apodiformes = swifts
- order Caprimulgiformes / Caprimulgiformes = goatsuckers; frogmouths
- order Piciformes / Piciformes = woodpeckers; jacamars; puffbirds; barbets; honey guides
- order Trogoniformes / Trogoniformes = trogons
- order Anseriformes / Anseriformes = ducks; geese; swans
- order Ciconiiformes / Ciconiiformes = order of chiefly tropical marsh-dwelling fish-eating wading birds with long legs and bills and (except for flamingos) unwebbed feet: herons; storks; spoonbills; flamingos
- order Gruiformes / Gruiformes = inland marsh-dwelling birds with long legs and necks and bills that wade in water in search of food: cranes; rails
- order Charadriiformes / Charadriiformes = large diverse order of aquatic birds found along seacoasts and inland waters: shorebirds and coastal diving birds
- order Gaviiformes / Gaviiformes = large aquatic birds: loons and some extinct forms
- order Podicipediformes / order Podicipitiformes / order Colymbiformes / Podicipediformes / Podicipitiformes / Colymbiformes = grebes
- order Pelecaniformes / Pelecaniformes = pelicans; frigate birds; gannets
- order Sphenisciformes / Sphenisciformes = penguins
- order Procellariiformes / Procellariiformes = petrels; albatrosses; shearwaters
- young animal: chick
- female animal: hen
- male animal: cock
- collective noun: flock
- collateral adjective: avian
Aves is an industrial town and parish in northern Portugal. The population in 2011 was 8,458, in an area of 6.16 km². It is located in the municipality of Santo Tirso, 6 km to the northeast of the municipality seat, the city of Santo Tirso proper, bordering the parish of Lordelo in the municipality of Guimarães. Aves is nowadays, after Santo Tirso itself, the most important town in the municipality of Santo Tirso.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aves
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Unlike MCC, AveS is a single-number measurement of the performance of a classification system over the whole range of different cutoffs settings, rather than from a single setting. Since the AveS is a measurement on a ROC curve for ...
Animal Sciences (2009)
The Biology, Care, and Production of Domestic Animals, Fourth Edition by John R. Campbell, M. Douglas Kenealy, Karen L. Campbell
§Genus for chickens (Aves is the class of birds). Tables ofWeights ' PPENDIX C and Measures Metric Weight Microgram.
by Richard Owen
has the lungs fixed, and communicating with air-cells extending into the abdomen, and usually other parts of the body; this class is oviparous, is clothed with feathers, and has the pectoral limbs modified as wings; it is called Aves —— Birds.
A Historical Encyclopedia of the American Mosaic by Peter Hinks, John McKivigan
Aves, was the most important court victory for the antislavery movement of the 1830s and became a major precedent for Northern opponents of slavery. There are a number of ironies connected to those involved in the case. The author of this ...
by Frank Northen Magill
Frank Northen Magill Alison Aves...
Moose; researcher and bibliographer, Alison Aves; acquisitions editor, Mark Rehn. v. cm.
by Frank Northen Magill
Frank Northen Magill Alison Aves...
Moose ; researcher and bibliographer, Alison Aves ; acquisitions editor, Mark Rehn. v. cm.
Encyclopedia of Mississippi (2001)
by Nancy Capace
College and Van Dorn Aves., Holly Springs, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aves
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aves
Click on an item to view that photo:
Scrabble value of A1V4E1S1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AVES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Aves!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aves to see it in context!