On this page:
- Definition of the noun backyard
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Backyard
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Backyard
- Photos about Backyard
- Video language resources about Backyard
- Sign language
- Quotes about Backyard
- Scrabble value of B3A1C3K5Y4A1R1D2
- Anagrams of BACKYARD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun backyard
What does backyard mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: backyards
- the grounds in back of a house
- examples: My backyard can hold more than ten people. | The children were playing in the backyard. | I put up a small hut in the backyard. | My grandmother was pulling up weeds in her backyard. | On a nice spring day, when Jan was digging in the sandbox in the backyard, he found a small box. In the box was a shining switchblade with a mysterious inscription. | After the dog died, they buried him in the backyard. | Not in my backyard. | I was abducted and impregnated by wolves who landed their flying saucer in my backyard. | There is a bird feeder in our backyard. | There is a tree in my backyard.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: curtilage / grounds / yard = the enclosed land around a house or other building
Alternative definition of the noun backyard
- A yard to the rear of a house or similar residence.
- [colloquial] A person's neighborhood, or an area nearby to a person's usual residence or place of work and where the person is likely to go.
- [colloquial] An area nearby to a country or other jurisidiction's legal boundaries, particularly an area in which the country feels it has an interest.
- "Backyard": Sometime in 1996, a terrifying phenomenon surfaced in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. In this now-infamous city, young women are regularly murdered. Most often, no arrests are made or charges laid for the killings. This ongoing tragedy is a painful stain on Mexican history and has been the subject of numerous films, articles and books. In 2001, the Festival showcased Lourdes Portillo's Missing Young Woman, in which the filmmaker attempts to give voice to the many victims and to understand how these awful crimes take place.
- also known as El Traspatio
- country: Mexico
- languages: English Language, Spanish Language
- director: Carlos Carrera
- producers: Isabelle Tardan & Sabina Berman
- production design by Gloria Carrasco
- written by Sabina Berman
- casting by Ana Urquidi
- cinematography by Martin Boege & Everardo González
- edited by Óscar Figueroa
- music by Murcof
- costume design by María Estela Fernández
- set decoration by Lizette Ponce
- genres: Thriller, Crime Fiction, Mystery, Drama
- subject: Female homicides in Ciudad Juárez
- released on (6 years ago)
- Ariel Award for Best Actress nomination for Asur Zágada
- Ariel Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Ivan Cortes
- Ariel Award for Best Director nomination for Carlos Carrera
- Ariel Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Martin Boege & Everardo González
- Ariel Award for Best Art Direction nomination for Lizette Ponce & Gloria Carrasco
- Ariel Award for Best Costume Design nomination for María Estela Fernández
- Ariel Award for Best Sound nomination for Antonio Diego, Neto Gaytán, Isabel Muñoz, Miguel Ángel Molina Gutiérrez, Mario Martínez
- Ariel Award for Best Special Effects nomination for Alejandro Vazquez & Roberto Ortiz
- Ariel Award for Best Actress, received by Asur Zágada
- Ariel Award for Best Director, received by Carlos Carrera
- Ariel Award for Best Cinematography, received by Everardo González & Martin Boege
- Ariel Award for Best Art Direction, received by Gloria Carrasco & Lizette Ponce
- Ariel Award for Best Sound, received by Antonio Diego, Neto Gaytán, Mario Martínez, Isabel Muñoz, Miguel Ángel Molina Gutiérrez
- "Backyard" a.k.a. "Neighbors" is a 1920 short comedy film co-written, co-directed by, and starring comedian Buster Keaton.
- read more about Neighbors
- "Backyard" is a 2010 documentary, music film written by Árni Sveinsson, Árni Rúnar Hlöðversson and directed by Árni Sveinsson.
- country: Iceland
- language: Icelandic Language
- director: Árni Sveinsson
- producers: Árni Sveinsson & Sindri Páll Kjartansson
- written by Árni Sveinsson & Árni Rúnar Hlöðversson
- cinematography by Árni Sveinsson, Guðlaugur Arnar Sigurðsson, Jón Tómas Einarsson, Ryan Parteka, Þórgnýr Thoroddsen, Friðrik Elís Ásmundsson, Árni Vilhjálmsson
- edited by Árni Sveinsson
- music by Múm, Hjaltalín, FM Belfast, Retro Stefson, Sindri Már Sigfússon, Borko, Reykjavik!
- genres: Documentary film, Music
- released in (5 years ago)
- official website: www.backyardthefilm.com/?page_id=26
- "Backyard" is a 2013 animation documentary short film written and directed by Deia Schlosberg.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Deia Schlosberg
- written by Deia Schlosberg
- based on a story by Deia Schlosberg
- cinematography by Deia Schlosberg
- music by Marianthe Bezzerides
- genres: Documentary film, Animation, Drama
- released in
- official website: www.everyonesbackyard.com
- "Backyard" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Ana-Felicia Scutelnicu.
- "Backyard" is a short drama film directed by Alex Megaro.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genre: Drama
- released on (4 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Backyard
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John W. Creswell
One argument against studying your own backyard is that you have predetermined expectations of what you will find. Another is that the people you collect data from may see you as a colleague (and not answer truthfully), rather than as a ...
The Backyard Chicken Bible (2014)
The Complete Guide to Raising Chickens by Eric Lofgren
Your Backyard is the New Farm! Whether you want two chickens or two hundred, this manual will guide you along your journey to successfully raising chickens.
The Wicked Good Book (2012)
A Guide to Maine Living by Stephen Gleasner
WildTurkeys When you live in Maine, a gaggle of wild turkeys strutting through the backyard is a common sight. Although this wasn't always true. There were no wild turkeys in Maine until 1977 and 1978, when the Maine Department of Inland ...
Backyard. Chickens,. Backyard. Hens,. Backyard. Poultry. These are a very common companion animal that is found in urban and country areas including schools and also they produce eggs. They.
by Lawrence R. Sullivan
Along with the gigantic people's communes, backyard steel furnaces were the most significant product (and one of the biggest disasters) of the Great Leap Forward (1958—1960). The furnaces were a central feature of the Chinese concept of ...
Symbols, Signs, and Meanings by J.M. DeBord
See also: Anal Sex, Anus, Affair, Back, Backward, Backyard, Door, Home Back Seat—See: Car Backyard—A backyard in a dream can symbolize the background of your life. The background can be something overlooked, ignored, secret, ...
by Jay H. Lehr, Jack Keeley
BACKYARD. In some instances wind turbines were placed near population centra and people living close by started complaining about noise as a nuisance; obviously the towering structures were not free from environmental impact.
by Alireza Bahadori, Scott T. Smith
Backyard. Burning. An illegal method of getting rid of household waste, possibly in an attempt to save on bin charges, that releases levels of pollutants into the air, so harming air quality and risking the FILTERING Water In Waste Out/Backwash ...
by Abigail R. Gehring
“ Backyard conservation: Nutrient Management.” http://nrcs.usda.gov/feature/ backyard/ nutmgt.html (accessed June 24, 2009). u.S. Department of Agriculture: Natural ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Backyard
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Backyard
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Thorsten Hofmeister
Photo credit: skpy
Photo credit: Padmanaba01
Photo credit: Burzilai
Burg Naumburg die Burg ist noch bewohnt
Photo credit: hmboo Electrician and Adventurer
Photo credit: liberalmind1012
Photo credit: yasmapaz & ace_heart
Green and lush.
Photo credit: mattymatt
Photo credit: wealhtheow1
Photo credit: eflon
Photo credit: Field Outdoor Spaces
Photo credit: mastermaq
Hinterhof in Kiel
Photo credit: Rob_L.
Photo credit: DeRuffato
Photo credit: gagilas
Photo credit: Field Outdoor Spaces
Photo credit: R0Ng
- Backyard fountain.
Photo credit: JMacPherson
- Backyard garden
Photo credit: bldodge
- Backyard balustrade
Photo credit: pru_mitchell
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Backyard
Click on an item to play that video:
- Backyard Meaning
Video shows what backyard means. A yard to the rear of a house or similar residence.. A person's neighborhood, or an area nearby to a person's usual ...
- 1a. Explanation- Backyard Legs Routine
- Conjunctive Adverb Blues Backyard Tea
Steve Littlejohn and Jim Booth of Backyard Tea perform Conjunctive Adverb Blues at iCoffee coffee house in Greensboro...
- Backyard Rinc.'s RATBAG HERO Summer Music Series, "DICTIONARY"
- BACKYARD SESSIONS - Love Is A Verb(Chad Shuttleworth)
- Backyard chicken coop description
See also the pronunciation examples of Backyard!
Backyard in Baby Sign Language, ASL
Quotes about Backyard
How many people have a family grave in the backyard? I'm sure I'll end up there, or I'll shrink my head and put it in a glass box in the living room. I'll get more tourists to Graceland that way. (Lisa Marie Presley)
more quotes about backyard...
Scrabble value of B3A1C3K5Y4A1R1D2
The value of this 8-letter word is 20 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BACKYARD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Backyard!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Backyard to see it in context!