On this page:
Definition of the noun basidiomycota
What does basidiomycota mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- comprises fungi bearing the spores on a basidium; includes Gasteromycetes (puffballs) and Tiliomycetes comprising the orders Ustilaginales (smuts) and Uredinales (rusts) and Hymenomycetes (mushrooms, toadstools, agarics and bracket fungi); in some classification systems considered a division of kingdom Fungi
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific name: Basidiomycotina
- synonyms of Basidiomycota: subdivision Basidiomycota / subdivision Basidiomycotina
- more generic word: division = taxonomic unit of plants corresponding to a phylum
- member of: division Eumycota / Eumycota = true fungi; eukaryotic heterotrophic walled organisms; distinguished from Myxomycota (funguslike slime molds): comprises subdivisions Mastigomycotina; Zygomycotina; Ascomycotina; Basidiomycotina
- class Basidiomycetes / Basidiomycetes = large class of higher fungi coextensive with subdivision Basidiomycota
- class Hymenomycetes / Hymenomycetes = used in some classifications; usually coextensive with order Agaricales: mushrooms; toadstools; agarics
- order Agaricales / Agaricales = typical gilled mushrooms belonging to the subdivision Basidiomycota
- class Gasteromycetes / class Gastromycetes / Gasteromycetes / Gastromycetes = fungi in which the hymenium is enclosed until after spores have matured: puffballs; earth stars
- order Aphyllophorales / Aphyllophorales = includes chiefly saprophytic fungi typically with shelflike bodies
- class Tiliomycetes / Tiliomycetes = category used in some systems to comprise the two orders Ustilaginales (smuts) and Uredinales
- order Ustilaginales / Ustilaginales = parasitic fungi causing smuts
- family Septobasidiaceae / Septobasidiaceae = a family of fungi belonging to the subdivision Basidiomycota
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Basidiomycota
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert N. Trigiano
basIDIomycete taxonomy The Basidiomycota is a diverse group of fungi. Molecular studies have caused mycologists to subdivide the group into the Hymenomycetes, Ustilaginomycetes, and Urediniomycetes (Swann and Taylor, 1993; ...
Fungal Biology (2013)
by J. W. Deacon
The Basidiomycota is a monophyletic group (all of its members having a common ancestry) and is a sister group to the Ascomycota. In other words, both of these groups have a common ancestor. Three major sub-groups are recognized within ...
Fungi, Algae, and Protists (2011)
by Kara Rogers
Basidiomycota is a large and diverse phylum of fungi that includes jelly and shelf, or bracket, fungi; mushrooms, puffballs, and stinkhorns; and the rusts and smuts. The club-shaped spore-bearing organ (basidium) usually ...
by Bonnie H. Ownley, Robert N. Trigiano
Basidiomycota is a diverse phylum of fungi. Based on molecular studies, mycologists have subdivided the phylum into subphyla, which include Pucciniomycotina, Ustilaginomycotina (both discussed in Chapter 14), and Agaricomycotina.
Biodiversity of Fungi (2011)
Inventory and Monitoring Methods by Mercedes S. Foster, Gerald F. Bills
BASIDIOMYCOTA. The Basidiomycota is the second largest phylum of Kingdom Fungi, with approximately 23,000 species (Hawksworth et al. 1995), including many of the common macroscopic forest fungi (e.g., mushrooms, shelf fungi).
by Michael Allaby
org/Basidiomycota/ 20520 ...
by Carl A. Batt
After discussion for nearly 200 years about the classification of fungi, they finally all were placed in subkingdom Dikarya as two phyla: Ascomycota and Basidiomycota. Basidiomycota often are referred to in the literature as 'higher fungi.
6000 Scientific Terms Explored and Explained by Michael Allaby
Basidiomycota (club fungi) A phylum of Fungi, belonging to the subkingdom Dikarya, comprising yeasts and asexual species, but also those with fruiting bodies in the form of mushrooms, toadstools, brackets, etc. Most are saprotrophs, many ...
by Geoffrey Clough Ainsworth
Basidiomycota are typically myce- lial but some are yeasts (or have a yeast-like state). Such yeasts may be distinguished from ascomycetous yeasts by the morphology of the bud scars, giving a red colour with diazonium blue B, being urease ...
A Dictionary of Biology (2015)
by Robert Hine
Basidiomycota A phylum of fungi, formerly classified as a class (Basidiomycetes) or a subdivision (Basidiomycotina). Sexual reproduction is by means of basidiospores produced externally on a club-shaped or cylindrical *basidium. Basidia ...
by The University of Chicago Press, Leszek Kołakowski
Basidiomycota Phylum of FUNGI (formerly the class Basidiomycetes). including the jelly fungus, the bird's nest fungus, the ear fungus, and mushrooms. They reproduce through sexual spores (basidiospores) produced by a specialized cell. the ...
by Danny B. Draper, Peter A. Richards
three divisions called the Ascomycota, Basidiomycota and Myxomycota (slime moulds) (Young & Smith 2005, pp. 1, 2, 5–7). Gall Abnormal localised swelling or an outgrowth on a leaf, 67.
by Vladimir V. Gouli, Svetlana Y. Gouli, Jose A.P. Marcelino
Fomes fomentarius fungus (Basidiomycota: Polyporacea) used for control of different plant diseases in Ukraine. Foray 48B trademark for insecticide based on the entomopathogenic bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. kurstaki ...
Encyclopaedia of Brewing (2013)
This diversity is reflected by the fact that yeasts occur in three of the fungal divisions: Ascomycota, Basidiomycota and Deuteromycota. All brewing yeasts are ascomycetous, a group of fungi where a sexual stage occurs in which the resultant ...
by Moselio Schaechter
The Basidiomycota (Basidiomycetes or club fungi) include ...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
There are more than 56,000 described species placed in four phyla: the Ascomycota, Basidiomycota, the Chytridiomy- cota, and the Zygomycota. The Deuteromycota is an additional informal polyphyletic phylum. Aquatic entomopathogenic ...
by Daniel Simberloff, Marcel Rejmanek
Several fungal barcoding initiatives Figure 5 The octopus stinkhorn, Clathrus archeri (Fungi, Basidiomycota , Phallales),. 262 Fu n gi.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Basidiomycota
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Basidiomycota
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: gailhampshire
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of B3A1S1I1D2I1O1M3Y4C3O1T1A1
The value of this 13-letter word is 23 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Basidiomycota to find many related words and phrases!