Ben Johnson (actor)
- Ben Johnson: Ben "Son" Johnson, Jr. was an American stuntman, world champion rodeo cowboy and actor. The son of a rancher, Johnson arrived in Hollywood to deliver a consignment of horses for a film. He did stunt double work for several years before breaking into acting through the good offices of John Ford. Tall and laconic, Johnson brought further authenticity to many roles in Westerns with his extraordinary horsemanship. An elegiac portrayal of a former cowboy theatre owner in the '50s coming of age drama, The Last Picture Show, won Johnson the 1971 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. He operated a horse breeding farm throughout his career. Although he said he had succeeded by sticking to what he knew, shrewd real estate investments made Johnson worth an estimated 100 million dollars by his latter years.
- also known as Son; Ben Johnson, Jr.; Ben "Son" Johnson, Jr.
- born on (96 years ago) in Foraker, child of Ben Johnson, Sr. and Ollie Susan Johnson
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Actor, stunt performer, cowboy, cattle rancher
- Marriage with Carol Elaine Jones between and (52 years and 7 months)
- died on (19 years ago) in Mesa of myocardial infarction
- played Chris Calloway in "Shane"
- played Tector Gorch in "The Wild Bunch"
- played Bob Amory in "One-Eyed Jacks"
- "Terror Train"
- played Arthur Cotton in "The Evening Star"
- "Wagon Master"
- "Mighty Joe Young"
- played Captain Tanner in "The Sugarland Express"
- "Soggy Bottom U.S.A."
- played Marshal Pearce in "Breakheart Pass"
- "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys"
- played Sgt. Tyree in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"
- "Something Big"
- played Jack Beynon in "The Getaway"
- "The Swarm"
- "Junior Bonner"
- "Bonanza: Under Attack"
- "Angels in the Outfield"
- played Mr. Mason in "Red Dawn"
- played Sheriff 'Mean John' Simpson in "Kid Blue"
- played George Bradley in "Ten Who Dared"
- played Sam the Lion in "The Last Picture Show"
- played James Pepper in "Chisum"
- played Short Grub in "The Undefeated"
- "The Rare Breed"
- played Geronimo Bill in "Radio Flyer"
- played Jesse in "The Train Robbers"
- played Cole Collins in "Tex"
- "Major Dundee"
- "Cherry 2000"
- played Marty Hollinger in "Hustle"
- played Mister in "Bite the Bullet"
- played Sheriff Strong in "The Hunter"
- "Bonanza: The Return"
- played Laurienti in "The Chase"
- played Uncle 'Black Jack' Traven in "The Shadow Riders"
- "Wild Stallion"
- "The Town That Dreaded Sundown"
- played Alex in "Will Penny"
- "The Greatest"
- played Harry Burck Sr. in "Let's Get Harry"
- played August Klein in "Trespasses"
- played Ben Shelby in "Fort Defiance"
- played Trooper Travis Tyree in "Rio Grande"
- played Deputy Marshal #2 (Uncredited) in "Badman's Territory"
- TV series: "The Monroes"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - "The Last Picture Show" (Role: Sam the Lion)
- nominated to Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture - "The Last Picture Show" (role: Sam the Lion †)
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - "The Last Picture Show" (Role: Sam the Lion)
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture - "The Last Picture Show" (Role: Sam the Lion)
- nominated to BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - "The Last Picture Show"
- BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role - "The Last Picture Show"
- Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year (Track and field)
- Ben Johnson is an actor.
There are other people with Ben Johnson in their name, like Dr. Ben Johnson.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ben Johnson (actor)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Ben Johnson (actor)
Worst 10 Ben Johnson's Movies
1-Dark Before Dawn...
See also the pronunciation examples of Ben Johnson!
Anagrams of BEN JOHNSON
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ben Johnson!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ben Johnson to see it in context!