- Bergen is a city and municipality in Hordaland on the west coast of Norway, on the peninsula of Bergenshalvøyen. The city was established before 1070 AD. Bergen is the administrative centre of Hordaland.
- Bergen is a town in the north of Celle district on the Lüneburg Heath, in Lower Saxony, Germany. Administratively it acts as a municipal borough divided into 12 subordinate parishes based on the town and its surrounding villages: Becklingen, Belsen, Bergen, Bleckmar, Diesten, Dohnsen, Eversen, Hagen, Hassel, Offen, Sülze and Wardböhmen. Bergen-Belsen concentration camp was located in the area of Belsen.
- Bergen is a municipality and a town in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. Its North Sea beaches make it a popular destination for tourists. In 2001, the municipality was formed from a merger of the former municipalities of Egmond, Schoorl, and the smaller community of Bergen proper that had existed since 1811.
- Bergen is a municipality in the district of Traunstein in Bavaria, Germany.
- Bergen is a town in Genesee County, New York, United States. The town is in the northeast corner of the county. The population was 3,120 at the 2010 census. There is also a village of Bergen in the town.
- Bergen is a municipality in the Weißenburg-Gunzenhausen district, in Bavaria, Germany.
- Bergen is a city in McHenry County, North Dakota, United States. The population was seven at the 2010 Census. It is part of the Minot Micropolitan Statistical Area. Bergen was founded in 1905 and named after Bergen, Norway.
- Bergen is a village near Neuburg an der Donau, in Neuburg-Schrobenhausen, in Upper Bavaria, in Bavaria. The place is known locally as Baring. It is part of the municipality of Neuburg an der Donau.
- Bergen is a town in Vernon County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,317 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Pleasant Valley is located in the town.
- Bergen is a town in Marathon County, Wisconsin, United States. It is part of the Wausau, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 641 at the 2010 census. The unincorporated community of Moon is located partially in the town.
- Bergen is a former town in Hesse, Germany. Presently, it is part of Bergen-Enkheim, a borough of Frankfurt. It was the location of the Battle of Bergen.
There are other places with Bergen in their name, like Bergen Point, North Bergen, Bergen County, Bergen Aan Zee, Bergen Op Zoom, Bergen Auf Rügen, Bergen an Der Dumme, University of Bergen, Bergen Community College, North Bergen High School, Bergen Catholic High School.
- Bergen is one of the most successful Turkish singers and a pioneer in the Turkish arabesque genre. When she was 17, she quit her job at a Turkish post office so that she could pursue her dream of performing on stage. Her personal life was influential in her gloomy sound and led to her success. Her husband threw nitric acid on her face resulting in blindness in her right eye. Despite this, she continued singing and chose to cover the blind eye with her long hair. This event added more depth to her songs and resulted in her songs being sung with pain and sorrow. She has been called the "Woman of Pain.
- also known as Belgin Sarılmışer, Acıların kadını
- born on (55 years ago) in Mersin
- nationality: Turkey
- Marriage with Halis Serbes between and (4 years)
- died on (25 years ago) in Pozantı of murder
- genre: Arabesque
- albums: "Son Ağlayışım", "Garibin Çilesi Mezarda Biter", "Giden Gençliğim", "Yıllar Affetmez", "İstemiyorum", "Sevgimin Bedeli", "Onu da Yak Tanrım", "Acıların Kadını", "İnsan Severse", "Kardeşiz Kader", "Şikayetim Var", "En Güzel Eserleriyle Unutulmayan Bergen"
- filmography: "Acıların Kadını"
- official website: www.last.fm/music/Bergen/+images/600585
- Bergen a.k.a. Bergen Williams: Laura Lynn "Bergen" Williams is an American actress. She is best known for her role as Alice Gunderson, the maid for the Quartermaine family, in the ABC daytime soap opera, General Hospital. She appears on the show as of 2001.
Bergen is a musical group.
- album: "Gegenteil von Stadt"
Bergen is a fictional character from the 2012 film Total Recall.
There are other characters with Bergen in their name, like Edgar Bergen.
"Bergen" is a musical EP of Bömbers.
- "Bergen" is a 2009 fiction short film written and directed by Andrius Blaževičius.
- country: Lithuania
- language: Lithuanian language
- producers: Skaistė Matijošiūtė & Akvilė Petrauskaitė
- production design by Edita Budryte
- written by Andrius Blaževičius
- cinematography by Audrius Budrys
- edited by Mindaugas Sruogius & Andrius Blaževičius
- music by Domas Strupinskas, Vainius Sodeika
- genre: Drama
- released in (6 years ago)
- "Bergen" is a 1943 documentary short film written and directed by Harry Ivarson.
Bergen is a surname. Some Mennonite Bergen families immigrated to Russia when Catherine the Great of Russia issued a Manifesto in 1763 inviting all Europeans to come and settle various pieces of land within Russia, especially in the Volga River region.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bergen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Frederick W. Beers
North BERGEN is a postoffice in the northwest corner of the town, containing a church, a store, two manufactories, and about 1 50 inhabitants. STONE CHURCH (p. o.) is in the southeastern portion of the town, on the Lake road, in direct line ...
by Chapman Publishing Company
BERGEN is a prominent M and wealthy farmer of Suffolk County, and a member of an old settled family on Long Island. The beautiful home of our subject , located in the town of Southold, with its trees and flowers, proclaims to the stranger ...
Bergen refers to five at Ambala, and Mr. Alexander to two at Mynpurie. Mr. Wilson reports two new members received by the church of Tabriz. Mr. Eddy speaks of four new members and four children baptized at Mejdeluna, near Sidon.
Place-names of Canada (1898)
by George Johnson
Sir William Van Home mentions Bergen as a singularly inappropriate place- name, being situated in the middle of a great plain of Manitoba, while the original Bergen is a seaport of Norway surrounded by high mountains. Every feature in the ...
Official Journal (1901)
Business Agent Bergen is a hustler and has plenty of men of the same material in the Local with him.
by John Murray (publishers.)
— (Bergen is a fast station for boats) — to or from the steamers ; each pers.
Sir William Van Horne mentions Bergen as a singularly inappropriate place- name, being situated in the middle of a great plain of Manitoba, while the original Bergen is a seaport of Norway surrounded by high mountains. Every feature in the ...
Bergen is a picturesque little city. The houses are mostly. Norway.
From Christiania to Bergen is a favorite excursion. On the Strandefjord is the noted Fayerms Hotel, a great resort for tourists. Bergen (Holdt'a Hotel; Slenna' inavie) is on a, hilly peninsula and isthmus, with handsome high mts. in the background ...
A new and complete system of universal geography, or, An authentic history and interesting description of the whole world, and its inhabitants : comprehending a copious and entertaining account of all the empires, kingdoms, states, republics, and colonies, of Asia, Africa, America, and Europe... : with faithful accounts of all the new discoveries, that have been made by the most celebrated navigators of various nations... : to which will be subjoined, a useful compendium of astronomy, with remarks on the use of the globes, &c. : the whole concluding with a copious index, upon a plan entirely new, and designed to form a general gazetteer of the world (1822)
by Christopher Kelly
Bergen is a city of considerable antiquity, having been founded in 1070; but being built principally of wood, it has frequently become the prey of the flames. In a conflagration which happened in 1248, eleven churches, and almost the svhole ...
With Love (2012)
My Memoir by Arcelia Watson
Bergen is the capital of West Norway; it is the gateway to wonderful fjords. Today Bergen is an important fishing port. A military power during the 17th century, Sweden has notparticipated in a war for almost two centuries. Sweden joined the EU ...
by Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.
Bergen refers to five at Ambala, and Mr. Alexander to two at Myn- purie. Mr. Wilson reports two new members received by the church of Tabriz. Mr. Eddy speaks of four new members and four children baptized at Mejdeluna, near Sidon.
Europe 2007 (2007)
Quality Camping and Caravanning Sites by Alan Rogers, Alan Rogers Guides Ltd Staff
nl Beekse Bergen is a large impressive leisure park set around a very large, attractive lake near Tilberg. The park offers a range of amusements which should keep the most demanding of families happy! These include not only water ...
by Charles E. Orser Jnr
set up an excavation unit in Bergen, with a new generation of archaeologists taking over the fieldwork. In 1994, the ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
BERGEN, anciently Bergi, a city of Norway, the capital of Bergenhuus. It is the see of a ...
by Jan Sjåvik
Bergen has a maritime climate thanks to the Gulf Stream, which brings warm water across the North Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico. Bergen is a municipality within Hordaland County and is Norway's second- largest city, ...
by Katherine Holman
' BERGEN However, the figures of Sineus and Truvor, another so-called brother of Rurik, are probably later literary inventions by the author of the Chronicle, and so Beloozero's connection with Rurik's dynasty is of doubtful historicity.
Bergen St. Line. — Leaves Park Row via Brooklyn Bridge, Sands, Adams, Boerum pi., Bergen St., Buffalo av., to Douglass st. Transfers at Sands and Adams for Fulton ferry ; at Concord and Adams sts. to Park, Vanderbilt, Central, and 9th av.
London encyclopaedia; or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature and practical mechanics (1829)
comprising a popular view of the present state of knowledge by Thomas Tegg
BERGEN, anciently Bergi, a city of Norway, the capital of Bergeuhuus. It is the see of a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bergen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bergen
Click on an item to view that photo:
Bergen at night. View from Vandrerhjem Montana.
Photo credit: Kamil Porembiński
- Bergen Station
Bergen Station is the main railway station in the city of Bergen, Norway. It is a terminal station on the Bergen Line, and serves trains from Oslo as well as commuter trains from Arna, Voss and Myrdal.
Photo credit: Kamil Porembiński
- Fantoft Church, Bergen, Norway
[Fantoft Church, Bergen, Norway]
[between ca. 1890 and ca. 1900].
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color.
Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section. Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
Print no. 7004.
Forms part of: Landscape and marine views of Norway in the Photochrom print collection.
Format: Photochrom prints--Color--1890-1900.
- Bergen Brygge
Photo credit: anieto2k
- Welcome to Bergen
Photo credit: Anne Worner
Per Kirkby (b. 1938) - "Bergen" (1989). Permanent outdoor installation in Bergen, Norway.
Photo credit: Bosc d'Anjou
- Bergen Fish Market
Photo credit: abbilder
- Somewhere around Bergen
Photo credit: 2benny
- Streetscape, Bergen
Streetscape in Bergen Norwayafter a heavy shower of rain...
Photo credit: mozzercork
- Bergen Harbour
The Opposite of Bruggen in Bergen, Norway
Photo credit: Matthias Ripp
- HDR Bergen By Night
HDR taken with the Canon Powershot A570 using the CHDK firmware hack
Photo credit: RostadPhoto
- Bryggen in Bergen
The most famous part of Bergen, Norway.
Photo credit: SveterCZE
View more pictures about Candice Bergen.
Video about Bergen
Bergen Logistics Company Explanation Video
This brief company explanation video provides an overview of Bergen Logistics core business offerings, including e-commerce order fulfillment, fashion logist...
See also the pronunciation examples of Bergen!
Quotes about Bergen
Scrabble value of B3E1R1G2E1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BERGEN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Bergen!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bergen to see it in context!