- Bergen is a city and municipality in Hordaland on the west coast of Norway. As of 17 June 2012, the municipality had a population of 265,700 and Greater Bergen had a population of 390,900, making Bergen the second-largest city in Norway. The municipality covers and area of 465 square kilometers and is located on the peninsula of Bergenshalvøyen. The city center and northern neighborhoods are located on Byfjorden and the city is built around the Seven Mountains. Many of the extra-municipal suburbs are located on islands. Bergen is the administrative center of Hordaland and consists of eight boroughs—Arna, Årstad, Åsane, Bergenhus, Fana, Fyllingsdalen, Laksevåg and Ytrebygda.
- Bergen is a town in the north of Celle district on the Lüneburg Heath, in Lower Saxony, Germany. Administratively it acts as a municipal borough divided into 12 subordinate parishes based on the town and its surrounding villages: Becklingen, Belsen, Bergen, Bleckmar, Diesten, Dohnsen, Eversen, Hagen, Hassel, Offen, Sülze and Wardböhmen. Bergen-Belsen concentration camp was located in the area of Belsen.
- Bergen is a municipality and a town in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. Its North Sea beaches make it a popular destination for tourists, especially Germans. In 2001, the municipality was expanded to include the former municipalities of Egmond and Schoorl.
- Bergen is a municipality in the district of Traunstein in Bavaria, Germany.
- Bergen is a town in Genesee County, New York, United States. The town is in the northeast corner of the county. There is also a village of Bergen in the town. The population was 3,120 at the 2010 census.
- Bergen is a municipality in the Weißenburg-Gunzenhausen district, in Bavaria, Germany.
- Bergen is a city in McHenry County, North Dakota in the United States. The population was seven at the 2010 Census. It is part of the Minot Micropolitan Statistical Area. Bergen was founded in 1905 and named after Bergen, Norway.
- Bergen is a village near Neuburg an der Donau, in Neuburg-Schrobenhausen, in Oberbayern, in Bavaria. The place is known locally as Baring. It is part of the municipality of Neuburg an der Donau.
- Bergen is a town in Vernon County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,317 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Pleasant Valley is located in the town.
- Bergen is a town in Marathon County, Wisconsin, United States. It is part of the Wausau, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 615 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Moon is located partially in the town.
- Bergen is a former town in Hesse, Germany. Presently, it is part of Bergen-Enkheim, a borough of Frankfurt. It was the location of the Battle of Bergen.
There are other places with Bergen in their name, like Bergen Point, North Bergen, Bergen County, Bergen Aan Zee, Bergen Op Zoom, Bergen Auf Rügen, Bergen an Der Dumme, University of Bergen, Bergen Community College, Bergen Catholic High School.
- Bergen a.k.a. Bergen Williams: Laura Lynn "Bergen" Williams is an American actress. She is best known for playing Alice Gunderson, the maid for the Quartermaine family on the ABC soap opera, General Hospital. She has also made appearances on shows such as NYPD Blue, The Drew Carey Show and 7th Heaven.
- Bergen is one of the most successful Turkish singers and a pioneer in the Turkish arabesque genre. When she was 17, she quit her job at a Turkish post office so that she could pursue her dream of performing on stage. Her personal life was influential in her gloomy sound and led to her success. Her husband threw nitric acid on her face resulting in blindness in her right eye. Despite this, she continued singing and chose to cover the blind eye with her long hair. This event added more depth to her songs and resulted in her songs being sung with pain and sorrow. She has been called the "Woman of Pain.
- also known as Belgin Sarılmışer, Acıların kadını
- born on (54 years ago) in Mersin
- nationality: Turkey
- Marriage with Halis Serbes between and (4 years)
- died on (24 years ago) in Pozantı of murder
- genre: Arabesque
- albums: "Son Ağlayışım", "Garibin Çilesi Mezarda Biter", "Giden Gençliğim", "Yıllar Affetmez", "İstemiyorum", "Sevgimin Bedeli", "Onu da Yak Tanrım", "Acıların Kadını", "İnsan Severse", "Kardeşiz Kader", "Şikayetim Var", "En Güzel Eserleriyle Unutulmayan Bergen"
- filmography: "Acıların Kadını"
- official website: www.last.fm/music/Bergen/+images/600585
- album: "Gegenteil von Stadt"
Bergen is a fictional character from the 2012 film Total Recall.
There are other characters with Bergen in their name, like Edgar Bergen.
"Bergen" is a musical EP of Bömbers.
- "Bergen" is a 2009 fiction short film written and directed by Andrius Blaževičius.
- country: Lithuania
- language: Lithuanian language
- producers: Skaistė Matijošiūtė & Akvilė Petrauskaitė
- production design by Edita Budryte
- written by Andrius Blaževičius
- cinematography by Audrius Budrys
- edited by Mindaugas Sruogius & Andrius Blaževičius
- music by Domas Strupinskas, Vainius Sodeika
- genre: Drama
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Bergen" is a 1943 documentary short film written and directed by Harry Ivarson.
Bergen is a surname. Some Mennonite Bergen families immigrated to Russia when Catherine the Great of Russia issued a Manifesto in 1763 inviting all Europeans to come and settle various pieces of land within Russia, especially in the Volga River region.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bergen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Mass Mediauras (1996)
Form, Technics, Media by Samuel Weber
Bergen means to rescue, to recover, to secure, to harbour, to conceal. Ent- is used in German verbs to connote [...] a change from an existing situation. It can mean 'forth' or 'out' or can connote change that is the negating of a former condition.
Monument to Joseph Warren (1905)
its origin, history and dedication, 1894-1904 by Joseph Warren Monument Association, Boston, Mass
The word Bergen means a place of safety, "the place of the hill." Communipaw, settled in 1630, comprised all the lands now in Hudson County, and was named in honor of its first manager, Michael Pauw, formerly a burgomaster of Amsterdam ...
America and Her Problems (2007)
by Paul-Henri-Benjamin Estournelles De Constant, George Raper
The railroad from Christiania to Bergen is a great feat, both materially and financially. One wonders how so small a passenger and freight traffic can pay for such a costly undertaking. Moreover, these are lines that do not follow the great current ...
by Charles Durnford, Great Britain. Court of King's Bench, Sir Edward Hyde East
A sentence of condemnation of a British ship (which had been captured by a French privateer and carried into Bergen in Norway) by the French Consul at Bergen is an illegal sentence.— Il after such a sentence the owner repurchase bis ship ...
Al-Qa-ida's Road in and Out of Iraq by Brian Fishman
Peter Bergen is a Schwartz senior fellow at the New America Foundation in Washington D.C; an Adjunct Lecturer at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University; a research fellow at New York Universityʹs Center on Law and ...
by Martin Heidegger
Bergen means to rescue, to recover, to secure, to harbor, to conceal. Enl- is used in German verbs to connote in one way or another a change from an existing situation. It can mean "forth" or "out" or can connote a change (hat is the negating of ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
BERGEN, anciently Bergi, a city of Norway, the capital of Bergenhuus. It is the see of a ...
by Charles E. Orser Jnr
set up an excavation unit in Bergen, with a new generation of archaeologists taking over the fieldwork. In 1994, the ...
London encyclopaedia; or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature and practical mechanics (1829)
comprising a popular view of the present state of knowledge by Thomas Tegg
BERGEN, anciently Bergi, a city of Norway, the capital of Bergeuhuus. It is the see of a ...
by Salvatore Attardo
Doris Bergen found that, contrary to the humor level exhibited by the younger age group in earlier studies, the younger gifted age group were already ...
The Film Encyclopedia 7e (2013)
by Ephraim Katz, Ronald Dean Nolen
Bergen is perhaps ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bergen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bergen
Click on an item to view that photo:
Bergen at night. View from Vandrerhjem Montana.
Photo credit: Kamil Porembiński
Bergen, Norway. Jun 2010
Photo credit: Miguel Virkkunen Carvalho
- Bergen Station
Bergen Station is the main railway station in the city of Bergen, Norway. It is a terminal station on the Bergen Line, and serves trains from Oslo as well as commuter trains from Arna, Voss and Myrdal.
Photo credit: Kamil Porembiński
- Fantoft Church, Bergen, Norway
[Fantoft Church, Bergen, Norway]
[between ca. 1890 and ca. 1900].
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color.
Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section. Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
Print no. 7004.
Forms part of: Landscape and marine views of Norway in the Photochrom print collection.
Format: Photochrom prints--Color--1890-1900.
- Bergen Harbour
The Opposite of Bruggen in Bergen, Norway
Photo credit: Matthias Ripp
- Bergen Brygge
Photo credit: anieto2k
- HDR Bergen By Night
HDR taken with the Canon Powershot A570 using the CHDK firmware hack
Photo credit: RostadPhoto
- Bryggen in Bergen
The most famous part of Bergen, Norway.
Photo credit: SveterCZE
- Somewhere around Bergen
Photo credit: 2benny
Per Kirkby (b. 1938) - "Bergen" (1989). Permanent outdoor installation in Bergen, Norway.
Photo credit: Bosc d'Anjou
- Welcome to Bergen
Photo credit: Anne Worner
- Bergen Fish Market
Photo credit: abbilder
- Streetscape, Bergen
Streetscape in Bergen Norwayafter a heavy shower of rain...
Photo credit: mozzercork
View more pictures about Candice Bergen.
Video about Bergen
Bergen Logistics Company Explanation Video
This brief company explanation video provides an overview of Bergen Logistics core business offerings, including e-commerce order fulfillment, fashion logist...
See also the pronunciation examples of Bergen!
Quotes about Bergen
Scrabble value of B3E1R1G2E1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BERGEN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Bergen!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bergen to see it in context!