- Bergen is a city and municipality in Hordaland on the west coast of Norway. As of 17 June 2012, the municipality had a population of 265,700 and Greater Bergen had a population of 390,900, making Bergen the second-largest city in Norway. The municipality covers and area of 465 square kilometers and is located on the peninsula of Bergenshalvøyen. The city center and northern neighborhoods are located on Byfjorden and the city is built around the Seven Mountains. Many of the extra-municipal suburbs are located on islands. Bergen is the administrative center of Hordaland and consists of eight boroughs—Arna, Årstad, Åsane, Bergenhus, Fana, Fyllingsdalen, Laksevåg and Ytrebygda.
- Bergen is a municipality and a town in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. Its North Sea beaches make it a popular destination for tourists, especially Germans. In 2001, the municipality was expanded to include the former municipalities of Egmond and Schoorl.
- Bergen is a town in the north of Celle district on the Lüneburg Heath, in Lower Saxony, Germany. Administratively it acts as a municipal borough divided into 12 subordinate parishes based on the town and its surrounding villages: Becklingen, Belsen, Bergen, Bleckmar, Diesten, Dohnsen, Eversen, Hagen, Hassel, Offen, Sülze and Wardböhmen. Bergen-Belsen concentration camp was located in the area of Belsen.
- Bergen is a municipality in the district of Traunstein in Bavaria, Germany.
- Bergen is a town in Genesee County, New York, United States. The town is in the northeast corner of the county. There is also a village of Bergen in the town. The population was 3,120 at the 2010 census.
- Bergen is a municipality in the Weißenburg-Gunzenhausen district, in Bavaria, Germany.
- Bergen is a city in McHenry County, North Dakota in the United States. The population was seven at the 2010 Census. It is part of the Minot Micropolitan Statistical Area. Bergen was founded in 1905 and named after Bergen, Norway.
- Bergen is a village near Neuburg an der Donau, in Neuburg-Schrobenhausen, in Oberbayern, in Bavaria. The place is known locally as Baring. It is part of the municipality of Neuburg an der Donau.
- Bergen is a town in Vernon County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,317 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Pleasant Valley is located in the town.
- Bergen is a town in Marathon County, Wisconsin, United States. It is part of the Wausau, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 615 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Moon is located partially in the town.
- Bergen is a former town in Hesse, Germany. Presently, it is part of Bergen-Enkheim, a borough of Frankfurt. It was the location of the Battle of Bergen.
- Bergen is one of the most successful Turkish singers and a pioneer in the Turkish arabesque genre. When she was 17, she quit her job at a Turkish post office so that she could pursue her dream of performing on stage. Her personal life was influential in her gloomy sound and led to her success. Her husband threw nitric acid on her face resulting in blindness in her right eye. Despite this, she continued singing and chose to cover the blind eye with her long hair. This event added more depth to her songs and resulted in her songs being sung with pain and sorrow. She has been called the "Woman of Pain.
- also known as Belgin Sarılmışer, Acıların kadını
- born on July 15th, 1959 (53 years ago) in Mersin
- nationality: Turkey
- Marriage with Halis Serbes between 1982 and 1986 (4 years)
- died on August 14th, 1989 (23 years ago) in Pozantı of murder
- genre: Arabesque
- albums: "Son Ağlayışım", "Garibin Çilesi Mezarda Biter", "Giden Gençliğim", "Yıllar Affetmez", "İstemiyorum", "Sevgimin Bedeli", "Onu da Yak Tanrım", "Acıların Kadını", "İnsan Severse", "Kardeşiz Kader", "Şikayetim Var", "En Güzel Eserleriyle Unutulmayan Bergen"
- filmography: "Acıların Kadını"
- official website: www.last.fm/music/Bergen/+images/600585
- Bergen a.k.a. Bergen Williams: Laura Lynn "Bergen" Williams is an American actress. She is best known for playing Alice Gunderson, the maid for the Quartermaine family on the ABC soap opera, General Hospital. She has also made appearances on shows such as NYPD Blue, The Drew Carey Show and 7th Heaven.
Bergen is a musical group.
- album: "Gegenteil von Stadt"
"Bergen" is a musical EP of Bömbers.
"Bergen" is a 2009 fiction short film written and directed by Andrius Blaževičius.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions about Bergen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Martin Heidegger
Bergen means to rescue, to recover, to secure, to harbor, to conceal. Enl- is used
in German verbs to connote in one way or another a change from an existing
situation. It can mean "forth" or "out" or can connote a change (hat is the negating
Form, Technics, Media by Samuel Weber
Bergen means to rescue, to recover, to secure, to harbour, to conceal. Ent- is
used in German verbs to connote [...] a change from an existing situation. It can
mean 'forth' or 'out' or can connote change that is the negating of a former
its origin, history and dedication, 1894-1904 by Joseph Warren Monument Association, Boston, Mass
The word Bergen means a place of safety, "the place of the hill." Communipaw,
settled in 1630, comprised all the lands now in Hudson County, and was named
in honor of its first manager, Michael Pauw, formerly a burgomaster of Amsterdam
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
BERGEN, anciently Bergi, a city of Norway, the capital of Bergenhuus. It is the
see of a ...
by Ephraim Katz, Ronald Dean Nolen
comprising a popular view of the present state of knowledge by Thomas Tegg
BERGEN, anciently Bergi, a city of Norway, the capital of Bergeuhuus. It is the
see of a ...
by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, Thomas Edward O'Brien, James Cockcroft
Bergen, so being the owner of said quarter section of land, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias about Bergen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bergen
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about Bergen
Bergen Logistics Company Explanation Video
This brief company explanation video provides an overview of Bergen Logistics core business offerings, including e-commerce order fulfillment, fashion logist...
See also the pronunciation examples of Bergen!
Quotes about Bergen
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance? (Edgar Bergen)
more quotes about bergen...
Scrabble value of B3E1R1G2E1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of Bergen to learn how to say it correctly!