Bomb appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Dumb mobs bomb mud.
- Lanes ran amid bomb mud as a dumb mob dim an arsenal.
- Paganist unrewardable Bali bomb mob I label "bad": rawer nuts in a gap.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun bomb:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb bomb:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun bomb
- Definition of the verb bomb
- Phrases with Bomb
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bomb
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bomb
- Photos about Bomb
- Video language resources about Bomb
- Sign language
- Quotes about Bomb
- Scrabble value of B3O1M3B3
- Anagrams of BOMB
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bomb
What does bomb mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: bombs
- an explosive device fused to explode under specific conditions
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic terms: explosive device = device that bursts with sudden violence from internal energy; arms / implements of war / munition / weaponry / weapons system = weapons considered collectively
- more specific terms:
- plutonium bomb / fission bomb / atomic bomb / atom bomb / A-bomb = a nuclear weapon in which enormous energy is released by nuclear fission
- balloon bomb / Fugo = a bomb carried by a balloon
- cluster bomblet / bomblet = one of the smaller bombs that are released from a cluster bomb
- bombshell = an explosive bomb or artillery shell
- briefcase bomb = a bomb consisting of an explosive and timer hidden inside a briefcase
- car bomb = a bomb placed in a car and wired to explode when the ignition is started or by remote control or by a timing device
- chemical bomb / gas bomb = a bomb laden with chemical agents that are released when the bomb explodes
- cluster bomb = bomb consisting of a canister that is dropped from a plane and that opens to release a cluster of bomblets (usually fragmentation bombs) over a wide area
- cruise missile = an unmanned aircraft that is a self-contained bomb
- depth charge / depth bomb = a bomb that explodes at a preset depth under water
- gravity bomb / dumb bomb = a bomb that falls because of gravity and is not guided to a target
- anti-personnel bomb / antipersonnel bomb / fragmentation bomb / daisy cutter = a bomb with only 10 to 20 per cent explosive and the remainder consisting of casings designed to break into many small high-velocity fragments
- gas shell = bomb consisting of an explosive projectile filled with a toxic gas that is released when the bomb explodes
- general-purpose bomb / GP bomb = a large bomb (500 to 2,000 pounds that is 50% explosive) whose explosion creates a blast and whose metal casing creates some fragmentation effect
- grenade = a small explosive bomb thrown by hand or fired from a missile
- thermonuclear bomb / hydrogen bomb / fusion bomb / H-bomb = a nuclear weapon that releases atomic energy by union of light (hydrogen) nuclei at high temperatures to form helium
- incendiary bomb / incendiary / firebomb = a bomb that is designed to start fires
- package bomb / letter bomb / parcel bomb = a thin explosive device inside an envelope or package and detonated when opened
- megaton bomb = a nuclear weapon with an explosive power equivalent to one million tons of TNT
- microwave bomb / E-bomb = a bomb that explodes in midair and releases a massive burst of electromagnetic energy sufficient to disable computers and telecommunications without killing people or damaging buildings
- penetration bomb = a bomb with about 30% explosive and a casing designed to penetrate hardened targets before the explosive detonates
- pipe bomb = a small homemade bomb usually contained in a metal pipe
- plastic bomb = a bomb made of plastic explosive
- remote-control bomb = a bomb that can be detonated by remote control
- smart bomb = a bomb that can be guided (by a laser beam or radio) to its target
- smoke grenade / smoke bomb = a bomb that gives off thick smoke when it explodes
- stench bomb / stink bomb = a small bomb designed to give off a foul odor when it explodes
- volume-detonation bomb / thermobaric bomb / fuel-air bomb / aerosol bomb / vacuum bomb = a bomb that uses a fuel-air explosive
- infernal machine / time bomb = a bomb that has a detonating mechanism that can be set to go off at a particular time
- strong sealed vessel for measuring heat of combustion
- an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual
Alternative definition of the noun bomb
- An explosive device used or intended as a weapon.
- synonym: bombshell
- [slang] A failure; an unpopular commercial product.
- synonym: rustbucket
- [Australia, and, US, informal] A car in poor condition.
- [chiefly British slang] A success; the bomb.
- [chiefly British slang] A very attractive woman; a bombshell.
- [often, in combination] An action or statement that causes a strong reaction.
- [dated] The atomic bomb.
- [American football, slang] A long forward pass.
- [chemistry] A heavy-walled container designed to permit chemical reactions under high pressure.
- [informal] A jump into water in a squatting position, with the arms wrapped around the legs.
- [informal] The atomic bomb; the capacity to launch a nuclear attack. Often used with “the”.
Specialised definition of the noun bomb
Glossary of sports / American football
a pass thrown deep downfield (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- usage: slang
a long pass thrown to a receiver sprinting down the field
Definition of the verb bomb
What does bomb mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: bombed | bombing | bombs
- throw bombs at or attack with bombs
- example: The Americans bombed Dresden
- lexical domain: Competition - verbs of fighting, athletic activities
- synonym of bomb: bombard
- more generic words: assail / attack = launch an attack or assault on
- more specific terms:
- carpet bomb = bomb a large area systematically and extensively
- bomb out = make somebody homeless by destroying their houses with bombs
- dive-bomb = bomb from a diving airplane
- glide-bomb = bomb by gliding
- skip-bomb = attack with delayed release bombs
- atom-bomb / nuke = bomb with atomic weapons
- hydrogen-bomb = attack with a hydrogen bomb
- pattern-bomb = bomb in certain patterns
- atomise / atomize / nuke / zap = strike at with firepower or bombs
- letter bomb = send an explosive to
- firebomb = attack with incendiary bombs
- blast / shell = use explosives on
- fail to get a passing grade
Specialised definition of the verb bomb
Glossary of sports / weightlifting
to fail making a good lift in either or both of the two lifts, which results in no score.
- "Bomb" a.k.a. "Ginger and Rosa" is a 2012 drama film written and directed by Sally Potter.
- read more about Ginger and Rosa
- "Bomb" is a 2007 short drama film written by Ian Olds and Paul Felten and directed by Ian Olds.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Nadia Benamara, Phil Johnston, Suzi Yoonessi
- production design by James French
- written by Ian Olds & Paul Felten
- casting by Brette Goldstein & Andrea Shane
- cinematography by Jarin Blaschke
- edited by Ian Olds
- music by Growing
- genre: Drama
- released on (7 years ago)
- Bomb a.k.a. Dan is a fictional character from the television series The Crime File.
- read more about Dan
- Bomb is a video game character, fictional character, comic book character in Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog Universe.
- "Bomb" is a musical EP of Neuroticfish.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Bomb" is a musical EP of Fromheadtotoe.
- "Bomb" is a musical album of Guerrilla Funk Monster.
Who is Bomb?
Bomb a.k.a. Tanin Manoonsil is an actor.
- read more about Tanin Manoonsil (actor)
Bomb was a San Francisco-based rock band started in 1986 by singer/bassist Michael W. Dean, guitarist Jay Crawford, and drummer Tony Fag. Their first show was July 4, 1986, opening for Flipper.
Bomb is a record label.
- Bomb: A bomb is any of a range of explosive weapons that only rely on the exothermic reaction of an explosive material to provide an extremely sudden and violent release of energy. Detonations inflict damage principally through ground- and atmosphere-transmitted mechanical stress, the impact and penetration of pressure-driven projectiles, pressure damage, and explosion-generated effects. Bombs have been in use since the 11th century in Song Dynasty China.
- also known as 炸弹
- Bomb is a quarterly magazine edited by artists and writers. It is composed, primarily, of interviews between creative people working in a variety of disciplines — visual art, literature, music, film, theater and architecture. In addition to interviews, the Bomb issues section features new fiction and poems, several 500-word "Artist on Artist" essays, and a reviews section. Each winter issue is an "Americas" issue focusing on a specific region of North America, Central America, or South America. Spring, summer and fall issues are not themed. Bomb is published by New Art Publications, Inc., a 501 non-profit organization.
- official website: www.bombsite.com
- Bomb: A bomb is a type of kick used in various codes of football. As the names suggests, it is a high kick intended to send the ball relatively straight up so players can get under it before it comes down.
- also known as Bomb kick
- Bomb: A bomb symbol is an image used to represent a bomb. It has several different applications, specifically in computing.
- Bomb is a Canadian Army Sherman Tank of the 27th Armoured Regiment which landed at D-Day and fought across Northwest Europe until the end of World War II, the only Canadian tank that fought without interruption from D-Day to VE Day. Today Bomb is preserved at the Hussars Armoury in Sherbrooke, Quebec.
Phrases with Bomb
Phrases starting with the word Bomb:
Phrases ending with the word Bomb:
- Da Bomb
- gp bomb
- car bomb
- Dot Bomb
- gas bomb
- Gay bomb
- sex bomb
- The Bomb
- atom bomb
View more phrases with the word Bomb in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bomb
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Worst-Kept Secret (2010)
Israel's Bargain with the Bomb by Avner Cohen
the bomb is the result of the narrative's most existential aspects—the grounding, anchoring,
by Sebastian Balfour
There is more than a grain of truth in a wry comment made by the Irish playwright, Brendan Behan, a former IRA bomber himself. Behan said that 'the man with the small bomb is a terrorist, the man with the big bomb is a statesman';. All VIII.
Criminal Investigation (2016)
by CTI Reviews
A pipe bomb is an improvised explosive device, a tightly sealed section of pipe filled with an explosive material. The containment provided by the pipe means that simple low explosives can be used to produce a relatively large explosion, and ...
by L. Douglas Keeney
" A nuclear bomb — using the word "nuclear" loosely; a true nuclear bomb is a fusion bomb while ...
by Avner Yaniv
the Israeli bomb is that it is conspicuous in its absence. Another way to express the paradox, using the headlines of articles that appeared in the Economist in two subsequent weeks, is this: The Israeli bomb is "the world's worst-kept secret";1 ...
An International Encyclopedia from 5000 B.C. to the 21st Century by Diagram Group
The first specific aerial bomb was the German APR of 1912. Serious development began in WW1 , with such bombs as the German PuW of 1915, which had a streamlined steel case and a centrifugal arming device. By the end of WW1, bombs ...
by Brandon Toropov
atomic bomb 9 ery very quickly led to more breakthroughs by scientists around the world and the rapid publication of papers sharing some revolutionary findings in nuclear fission and atomic chain reactions. The potential uses of the technical ...
Dictionary of Energy (2009)
Expanded Edition by Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher G. Morris
Bonbright, James bomb calorimeter An apparatus primarily used for measuring heats of combustion. The reaction takes place in a closed space known as the calorimeter proper, in controlled thermal contact with its surroundings, the jacket, ...
by Richard J. Samuels
atomic bomb dropped in World War II. The bombing effectively ended the war because Japan surrendered within days. Three days before the bombing of Nagasaki, the ...
A Dictionary of the Economic Products of India: pt. 1. Pachyrhizus to Rye. pt. 2. Sabadilla to Silica. pt. 3. Silk to Tea. pt. 4. Tectona to Zygophillum (1893)
by Sir George Watt
Soma, lama, Bomb. ; Ran sher. Mar. ; Tiga-tshumudu, Honda pila, pulia ttge, padma kashtam,' s6n\a lata, ttge jemudu, Tel. j Muwa-kiriya, Sing. ; Soma, Sans. References.— DC, Prod.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bomb
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bomb
Click on an item to view that photo:
Pasadizo del ambulatorio
Photo credit: r2hox
- Yarn Bomb
Photo credit: bunnicula
- Fart Bomb
Photo credit: basibanget
- Psycat Bomb
Photo credit: srqpix
- Hot Dog Bomb
A hot dog bomb.
Photo credit: cometstarmoon
- Iraq Bomb Cache
The building where over 600+ lbs of explosives were found alongside a road in Iraq.
Photo credit: bnpositive
- Bali bomb victims memorial
Photo credit: Rev Stan
Photo credit: Mike Burns
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Bomb
Click on an item to play that video:
- Roadside bomb Meaning
Video shows what roadside bomb means. An explosive device placed at the side of a road and detonated when the target passes.. Roadside bomb Meaning.
- This Song Brought To You By a Falling Bomb explanation
This Song Brought To You By a Falling Bomb explanation.
- Superfood - Mood Bomb - at New Slang, Kingston
Superfood - Mood Bomb - at New Slang, Kingston.
- Nether Tempest vs Frost Bomb Damage Explanation by Cartoonz Mists of Pandaria Patch 5.1
- Dirty bomb Meaning
Video shows what dirty bomb means. A device containing conventional explosives and radioactive material, designed to spread radiation over a wide area.
- Mills bomb Meaning
Video shows what Mills bomb means. Any of a series of British fragmentation hand grenades.. Mills bomb Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Logic bomb Meaning
Video shows what logic bomb means. A piece of code intentionally inserted into a software system that will set off a malicious function when specified conditions ...
- Google bomb Meaning
Video shows what Google bomb means. An attempt to influence the ranking of a webpage within the Google search engine by linking to it from many other ...
- Bomb Meaning
Video shows what bomb means. An explosive device used or intended as a weapon. The atomic bomb. Events or conditions that have a speedy destructive ...
- Carpet bomb Meaning
Video shows what carpet bomb means. To bomb an area in such a manner that the ordnance covers the entire area without gaps.. Carpet bomb Meaning.
- Bomb Explanation of C4
- ESL Game : Bomb
ESL Bomb is a great game for vocabulary revision. You can use it with groups of vocabulary and it can be a great addition to your classroom routines.
- Peter Piper Pizza 2014 TV Spot: Photo Bomb - English Language
- Electro House Mix - Bomb Language Podcast 001
This mix was mixed by Jay. Free Download...
- Mickey Bomb - Coleman Fuel (Language)
Fall Crawl 2015 - CLCC.
- Bomb Language - Dancing In The Dark
Enjoy guys & don't forget to share!
- ESL VERSUS 30 BOMB :D
- BBC News Weather bomb The new exotic language for the weather
Weather bomb: The new exotic language for the weather Where did the phrase "weather bomb" come from? All it took was one big storm and some very low ...
View more videos about Da Bomb, Car bomb, The Bomb, Bass Bomb, Love Bomb, Mail bomb, Nail bomb, Pipe bomb, Sake bomb, Time Bomb, Borer Bomb, water bomb, Atomic Bomb, Cherry bomb, fusion bomb, Letter bomb, Parcel bomb, Batista Bomb, Bomb shelter, fission bomb, Neutron bomb, Nuclear Bomb, Chemical Bomb, hydrogen bomb, and Box-Office Bomb.
See also the pronunciation examples of Bomb!
Oh Holy Night - Sign Language - Drew video bomb :)
Quotes about Bomb
Scrabble value of B3O1M3B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BOMB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Bomb!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bomb to see it in context!