On this page:
- Definition of the noun britain
- Phrases with Britain
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Britain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Britain
- Photos about Britain
- Videos about Britain
- Sign language
- Quotes about Britain
- Scrabble value of B3R1I1T1A1I1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun britain
What does britain mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
- examples: Many immigrants to Britain have come from Asia. | Great Britain is no longer in control of world politics. | Britain is separated from the Continent by the Channel. | Britain's currency crisis has turned into a political one over government failure to stop the pound from going into free-fall. | Unlike Great Britain, the Upper House in the United States is an elected body. | In Great Britain the king reigns, but does not govern. | In Britain, the banks open at 9:00 in the morning. | If I were to live abroad, I would live in Britain. | I am anxious to visit Britain once again. | France seems to be swinging left - Britain to the right.
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Britain: Great Britain / U.K. / UK / United Kingdom / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- more specific word: Blighty = a slang term for Great Britain used by British troops serving abroad
- instance of: kingdom = a country with a king as head of state
- part of: British Isles = Great Britain and Ireland and adjacent islands in the north Atlantic
- England = a division of the United Kingdom
- Northern Ireland = a division of the United Kingdom located on the northern part of the island of Ireland
- Scotland = one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; located on the northern part of the island of Great Britain
- Cambria / Cymru / Wales = one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- member of: Common Market / EC / EEC / EU / Europe / European Community / European Economic Community / European Union = an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members; NATO / North Atlantic Treaty Organization = an international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security
- Britain a.k.a. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom or Britain, is a sovereign state in Europe. Lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland, the country includes the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland, and many smaller islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another state: the Republic of Ireland. Apart from this land border, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the North Sea in the east and the English Channel in the south. The Irish Sea lies between Great Britain and Ireland. The UK has an area of 243,610 square kilometres, making it the 78th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe.
- read more about United Kingdom (country)
- Britain a.k.a. Great Britain is an island in the North Atlantic off the north-west coast of continental Europe. With an area of 229,848 km², it is the largest island of the British Isles, the largest island in Europe and the ninth-largest in the world. In 2011 the island had a population of about 61 million people, making it the third-most populous island in the world, after Java and Honshū. It is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller islands. The island of Ireland lies to its west.
- read more about Great Britain
- Britain is an unincorporated community village in Loudoun County, Virginia lying along Milltown Creek. It is located on the eastern flanks of Short Hill Mountain along Mountain Road at its junction with Britain Road.
There are other places with in their name, like New Britain, Little Britain, SS Great Britain, New Britain Township, Little Britain Township, London Britain Township, New Britain High School, Kingdom of Great Britain, East New Britain Province, Kent Battle of Britain Museum, Smallest House in Great Britain, United Kingdom of Great Britain, New Britain Museum of American Art, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Who is Britain?
Britain is a musical artist.
- also known as Takayuki Tanaka
- born on (46 years ago) in Shiga Prefecture
- nationality: Japan
- profession: Musician
- member of musical group CURIO (Drums) between and (7 years)
- "Britain" is a book by Richard Brown.
- also known as "Britain: a social and economic history, 1700-1850: a modernizing country"; "Society and economy in modern Britain, 1700-1850"; Society and economy in modern Britain, 1700-1850
- "Britain" is a book by William Camden.
- also known as "Britain; or, A chorographicall description of the most flourishing kingdomes, England, Scotland, and Ireland, and the islands adjoyning"
- subject: Description and travel
- "Britain" is a book by Mark Leonard.
- also known as "Britain: renewing our identity"
- "Britain" is a book by Mary Anne McMullan.
- also known as "Britain: or, Fragments of poetical aberration"
- "Britain" is a book by John F. Osborne.
"Britain" is a film.
- country: England
Britain: The term Britain is a linguistic descendant of one of the oldest known names for Great Britain, an island off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The terms Briton and British, similarly derived, refer to its inhabitants and, to varying extents, the smaller islands in the vicinity. "British Isles" is the only ancient name for these islands to survive in general usage. Its first written appearance was by Pytheas of Massalia in the 4th century BCE. It originates with a group of P-Celtic speakers, resident on Great Britain, who were referred to, and perhaps referred to themselves, by the earliest known form of the term "British".
- also known as 不列顛
Phrases with Britain
Phrases ending with the word Britain:
- new britain
- great britain
- North Britain
- South Britain
- Broken Britain
- battle of britain
- king of great britain
Other phrases containing the word Britain:
- New Britain Goshawk
- New Britain Friarbird
- New Britain Bronzewing
- New Britain Sparrowhawk
- Great Britain Blackberry
- Great Britain and Ireland
- Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- New Britain Naked-Backed Fruit Bat
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Britain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Journal of Adventures Whilst Exploring Lake Nyassa, Central Africa, and Establishing the Settlement of "Livingstonia". by Edward Daniel Young
When two Nouns in Latin are connected by the verb " To be," they are put in the same case : as, Britannia est insula, Britain is an island. Use the Nominative case after the verb " To be." Eule 4. — The latter of two Nouns is put in the Genitive ...
by Nakae Chomin
Great Britain is a framed painting by Raphael; France is a mural by Michelangelo. Great Britain is Du Fu's poetry, strict and formal; France is Li Bo's more relaxed and flowing verse. Great Britain is the rigid General Cheng Bushi; France is the ...
British Foreign Policy (1997)
by Laurence Martin, John C. Garnett
Britain is an advanced industrial...
by Shlomo Sand
Britain is the state of all its citizens—English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Muslims who immigrated and became citizens,
by Emma Smith
Britain is a wealthy country. It is the world's sixth largest economy in terms of gross domestic...
According to a recent report: Britain is an unequal country, more so than many other 2. Social justice and inequality.
Exporters' Encyclopaedia (1920)
Great Britain Denia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Spain Deniliquin Australasia...
Great Britain Derby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
by Sian Echard, Robert Rouse
LYNN STALEY Colgate University, USA From the beginning of its written history, Britain was conceived of as an island nation whose history was built around stories of rupture and loss, the consequences of earlier invasions, conquests, and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Britain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Britain
Click on an item to view that photo:
Britain, Britain, Britain.
Photo credit: richardarcher
- Britain Map
Photo credit: Le Ciel Azuré
- Modern Britain
Photo credit: Tupinambah
- MuTATE Britain
Photo credit: vandalog
- Tate Britain Dome
Photo credit: barcar
- Tate Britain
Photo credit: KathrynW1
- MuTATE Britain
Photo credit: vandalog
- Tate Britain
Photo credit: JohnJobby
- Tate Britain
Photo credit: KathrynW1
- Reboot Britain
Photo credit: jdlasica
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Britain
Click on an item to play that video:
- Britain's void of meaning- Timothy Winter
Britain's void of meaning By Timothy Winter (Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad) At the launch of "The Destitute" by Turath Publishings An amazingly comprehensive ...
- Dialect Experimenting with America, Norway and Britain
In which Pawtal, Deliciafay and Thenaebyrd777 discuss.
- Battle of Britain Meaning
Video shows what Battle of Britain means. A series of air engagements between the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and the German Luftwaffe during World War II ...
- 37 Things you need to know about Modern Britain "The Secret Meaning of Shoes"
Part of The House of St Barnabas Spring Culture Series. The Secret Meaning of Shoes examines how and why shoes have become the most fetishized ...
- British Election Returns: The Meaning for Britain
May 6, 2010 The Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies at Harvard University & The Harvard Club of the United Kingdom present a transatlantic ...
- Britain Meaning
Video shows what Britain means. The island of Great Britain, consisting of England, Scotland and Wales.. Brittany.. The United Kingdom; the British state and its ...
- North Britain Meaning
Video shows what North Britain means. Scotland. North Britain Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say North Britain. Powered by ...
- 10 Finance Terminology Differences Between Britain and America
- Britain in a Day by JPR - Part VIII: An explanation of it all
- BEBC Explainer Video - Britain's first and foremost specialist English Language Bookseller
The Bournemouth English Book Centre (BEBC), formed in 1974, is Britain's first and foremost specialist Bookshop, supplying books and materials for the ...
- Major FLOOD!! upon EUROPE BRITAIN 2.17.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- More students speaking English as 2nd language across Britain
In Britain, the number of schoolchildren who speak English as a second language has been on the rise. There are even some schools where none of the ...
- A Language of Culture: Scotland, Britain and Europe.
Franchesca Hashemi talks to EU Citizen of 2013 Professor Ricardo Demarco from his Gallery Archive in Edinburgh.
- English Language: Three Invasions of Britain
In the short video ClarkvonHeller covers a brief history regarding the three invasions of Britain. This information is also covered in ESL Doxography page 118.
- Language Learning: Languages of Britain, from Polychronicon by Ranulph Higden
The LibriVox Language Learning Collection Vol. 004 by Language: Multilingual This collection is part of an initiative to create a language learning resource at ...
- Major FLOOD!! Upon BRITAIN 2.17.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Acoustic Festival of Britain 2014 Rodney Branigan & Tim Snider - Body Language
Video Credits:- Producer - Daniel Northfield Camera Operators - Andrzej Hardie-Douglas, Will Shacklady, Rob Duyvesteyn, Emma Moore, Zee Khattak, Michael ...
- Boris Johnson Wants Britain 'United By English Language'
Boris Johnson criticises immigrants who have 'failed to integrate' into British society by learning English.
- Britain's Got Talent (read full description first)
- Read Britain Across the Seas Africa: A History and Description of the British Empire (Clas EBOOK
See also the pronunciation examples of Britain!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Britain
Much of the aid we first gave to Russia we took away from what we promised Britain. So in a sense, Britain participated in a very real way in the recovery of Russia. (W. Averell Harriman)
more quotes about britain...
Scrabble value of B3R1I1T1A1I1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Britain to see it in context!