On this page:
- Definition of the noun brogue
- Definition of the verb brogue
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Brogue
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Brogue
- Photos about Brogue
- Videos about Brogue
- Quotes about Brogue
- Scrabble value of B3R1O1G2U1E1
- Anagrams of BROGUE
- Share this page
Definition of the noun brogue
What does brogue mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: brogues
- a thick and heavy shoe
Alternative definition of the noun brogue
- A strong dialectal accent. In Ireland it used to be a term for Irish spoken with a strong English accent, but gradually changed to mean English spoken with a strong Irish accent as English control of Ireland gradually increased and Irish waned as the standard language.
- synonym: brogan
- A strong Oxford shoe, with ornamental perforations and wing tips.
- [dated] A heavy shoe of untanned leather.
Definition of the verb brogue
What does brogue mean as a doing word?
- [transitive, intransitive] To speak with a brogue (accent).
- [intransitive] To walk.
- [transitive] To kick.
- [transitive] To punch a hole in, as with an awl.
- [dialect] to fish for eels by disturbing the waters
Brogue a.k.a. Brogue, Pennsylvania: Brogue is an unincorporated community in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. Brogue is located on Pennsylvania Route 74 7 miles east of Red Lion.
- read more about Brogue, Pennsylvania
Brogue is a musical group.
- album: "Girls and Strong Whisky"
- official website: www.broguemusic.com/biography.htm
Brogue: The term brogue generally refers to an Irish accent. Less commonly it may also refer to certain other regional forms of English, in particular those of Scotland or the English West Country.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Brogue
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Irish Life and Character (1898)
by Michael MacDonagh
The brogue is an accent, an intonation — mellifluous saucy, leisurely — an index, in fact, of the Irish character — and to convey it in print is beyond the power of man. It has certain peculiarities of inflection and emphasis which cannot be ...
A Dictionary of Footwear (1912)
by Carl Rodney Rasmussen
Brogue—a rude shoe of Irish origin: the first brogues being made of untanned leather with the hair on. The brogue was made in two styles, the single pump consisting of sole and upper only and the double pump having a welt sewed between ...
by T. K. Pratt
' brogue Transitive verb. Archaic ...
by Stanley Newman, Daniel Stark
opposite: 5 brake __ accelerator: 6 linear accent: 4 beat, burr, tone 5 acute, drawl , grave, twang 6 brogue, play up, rhythm, speech, stress, timbre, weight 7 cadence, cadency, point up 8 contrast, emphasis, language, localism, locution, tonality ...
footmark footwear Footwearincludes: 03 dap,tie 04 boot,clog, geta, mule,pump, shoe,vibs 05 jelly, sabot, tacky, thong, wader, welly 06bootee,brogue, casual, galosh, laceup, loafer, Oxford, patten, sandal, slipon, thongs 07gumboot,slipper, ...
The English Dialect Dictionary, Being the Complete Vocabulary of All Dialect Words Still in Use, Or Known to Have Been in Use During the Last Two Hundred Years: F-M (1900)
by Joseph Wright
To grumble, mutter, complain in an undertone; to speak the Somerset 'brogue.' Cf. geower. Shr.' Obsol. Gm.used ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Brogue
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Brogue
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Brogue
Click on an item to play that video:
- Carolina Outer Banks Brogue Vocabulary
Excerpt from The Carolina Brogue by NCLLP films. THE CAROLINA BROGUE WILL PREMIERE ON UNC-TV (NC PBS) APRIL 2nd, 10 PM.
- Brogue Meaning
Video shows what brogue means. A strong dialectal accent. In Ireland it used to be a term for Irish spoken with a strong English accent, but gradually changed to ...
- Blue Bucket Brogue from Language
- Lightweight Brogue from Language
See also the pronunciation examples of Brogue!
Quotes about Brogue
Scrabble value of B3R1O1G2U1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BROGUE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Brogue!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Brogue to see it in context!