Brown appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Round brown bread
(the Indian bread "Roti")
- Black background, brown background.
- Bake big batches of bitter brown bread.
Brown appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (Used by Microsoft Windows as sample text; famous for its coherency; 35 letters)
- Jay visited back home and gazed upon a brown fox and quail. (47 letters)
- Brown jars prevented the mixture from freezing too quickly. (50 letters)
On this page:
- Definition of the noun brown
- Definition of the adjective brown
- Definition of the verb brown
- Phrases with Brown
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Brown
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Brown
- Photos about Brown
- Videos about Brown
- Sign language
- Quotes about Brown
- Scrabble value of B3R1O1W4N1
- Share this page
The word brown is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun brown
What does brown mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: browns
- an orange of low brightness and saturation
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of brown: brownness
- more generic terms: chromatic color / chromatic colour / spectral color / spectral colour = a color that has hue
- more specific terms:
- Vandyke brown = a moderate brown color
- chestnut = the brown color of chestnuts
- burnt umber / deep brown / chocolate / coffee / umber = a medium brown to dark-brown color
- hazel = a shade of brown that is yellowish or reddish
- light brown = a brown that is light but unsaturated
- mocha = a dark brown color
- reddish brown / burnt sienna / Venetian red / mahogany / sepia = a shade of brown with a tinge of red
- yellowish brown / caramel brown / raw sienna / caramel / buff = a medium to dark tan color
- puce = a color varying from dark purplish brown to dark red
- olive brown = a shade of brown tinged with green
- taupe = a greyish brown
- Scottish botanist who first observed the movement of small particles in fluids now known a Brownian motion (1773-1858)
- abolitionist who was hanged after leading an unsuccessful raid at Harper's Ferry, Virginia (1800-1859)
- a university in Rhode Island
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of Brown: Brown University
- instance of: university = establishment where a seat of higher learning is housed, including administrative and living quarters as well as facilities for research and teaching
- part of: Little Rhody / Ocean State / R.I. / Rhode Island / RI = a state in New England; one of the original 13 colonies
- member of: Ivy League = a league of universities and colleges in the northeastern United States that have a reputation for scholastic achievement and social prestige
Alternative definition of the noun brown
- A colour like that of chocolate or coffee.
- [context: snooker] One of the colour balls used in snooker with a value of 4 points.
Definition of the adjective brown
What does brown mean as an attribute of a noun?
Brown is one of the top 100 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: browner | brownest
- of a color similar to that of wood or earth
- (of skin) deeply suntanned
Alternative definition of the adjective brown
- Having a brown colour.
Definition of the verb brown
What does brown mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: browned | browning | browns
- fry in a pan until it changes color
- examples: brown the meat in the pan | The chefs brown the vegetables
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Jennifer baked the potatoes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Jennifer boiled the pot dry [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] in / on / with [Instrument] Jennifer boiled the pot dry on the stove [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] in / on / with [Instrument] Jennifer baked the potatoes in the oven [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Jennifer baked the potatoes to a crisp [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] in / on / with [Instrument] Jennifer baked the potatoes to a crisp in the oven [Instrument - solid] [Verb] [Patient] This oven bakes potatoes [Patient - concrete object] [Verb] The potatoes baked [Patient - concrete object] [Verb] [Adjective] Pots boil dry [Patient - concrete object] [Verb] [Adjective] in / on / with [Instrument] Pots boil dry on the stove [Patient - concrete object] [Verb] [Adverb] Copper rods bend easily | Cotton clothes dry easily | Crystal vases break easily | Idaho potatoes bake beautifully [Patient - concrete object] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] Potatoes bake to a crisp [Patient - concrete object] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] in / on / with [Instrument] Potatoes bake to a crisp in the oven
Verbs of Change of State (with the same syntax): bake, barbecue, blanch, boil, braise, broil, char, coddle, cook, crisp, deep-fry, french-fry, fry, grill, heat, microwave, overcook, overheat, pan-broil, pan-fry, parboil, parch, percolate, perk, plank, poach, reheat, rissole, roast, saute, scald, scallop, sear, shirr, simmer, steam, steep, stew, toast, warm up.
- domain: cookery / cooking / preparation
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- more generic word: cook = transform and make suitable for consumption by heating
- make brown in color
- Brown a.k.a. Brown University is a private Ivy League research university in Providence, Rhode Island.
- read more about Brown University
- Brown a.k.a. Brown, California: Brown is an unincorporated community in Kern County, California. It is located on the Southern Pacific Railroad 9 miles north-northwest of Inyokern, at an elevation of 2392 feet.
- read more about Brown, California
- Brown a.k.a. Brown, Oklahoma: Brown is an unincorporated community in Bryan County, Oklahoma. It is located 13 miles northwest of Durant, Oklahoma. It had a post office from July 3, 1913 until July 15, 1927. It was named after its first postmaster, Robert H. Brown.
- read more about Brown, Oklahoma
- Brown a.k.a. Brown Township is one of the twelve townships of Miami County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,554 people in the township, 1,044 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
- read more about Brown Township
There are other places with in their name, like Brown Bay, Brown City, Brown Deer, Brown Edge, Brown Hill, Brown Lake, Fort Brown, Owen Brown, Brown truss, Mount Brown, Brown County, Brown's Town, Brown College, Brown Springs, Brown Building, Brown Mountain, Castello Brown, Tom Brown Park.
- Brown a.k.a. Uwe Schmidt, also known as Atom™, Atom Heart, or Señor Coconut, is a German composer, musician and producer of electronic music. He is often regarded as the father of electrolatino, electrogospel, and aciton music.
- read more about Uwe Schmidt
- Brown a.k.a. James Brown: James E. Brown was an American film and TV actor best known for his role as Lieutenant Ripley "Rip" Masters in all 166 episodes of the 1954-1959 ABC Western television series, The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin.
- read more about James Brown (actor)
- Brown a.k.a. Lew Brown was a lyricist for popular songs in the United States.
- read more about Lew Brown
- Brown a.k.a. Dominic Brown is an English independent documentary filmmaker, based in London.
- read more about Dominic Brown (film director)
- Brown a.k.a. Bernard B. Brown was an American sound engineer and composer, who wrote the scores for many early animated cartoons produced by Leon Schlesinger Productions for distribution by Warner Bros. Pictures. He won an Academy Award in the category Sound Recording and was nominated for seven more in the same category. He was also nominated three times in the category Best Visual Effects. He worked on more than 520 films between 1930 and 1958.
- read more about Bernard B. Brown
- Brown was an English first-class cricketer associated with Marylebone Cricket Club who was active in the 1810s. He is recorded in one match in 1814, totalling 11 runs with a highest score of 7 not out.
- Brown was an English cricketer who made 2 known appearances in major cricket matches from 1789 to 1791. He was mainly associated with Middlesex.
- Brown a.k.a. John Brown: John Dowell Brown was an English cricketer. Brown was a left-handed batsman who bowled slow left-arm orthodox. He was born at Coventry, Warwickshire.
- read more about John Brown
Brown is a musical group.
- albums: "Brown", "Półświatło"
- Brown is a fictional character from the 2006 film The Departed.
- Brown is a fictional character from the 2009 thriller film Exam.
There are other characters with in their name, like lt brown, Mr Brown, Abe Brown, Ann Brown, Ben Brown, Bob Brown, Brown Owl, Bud Brown, Dr. Brown, Fiz Brown, Jan Brown, Jay Brown, Jim Brown, Kim Brown, Liz Brown, Lou Brown, Mac Brown, Mr. Brown, Mrs Brown and Ray Brown.
- "Brown" is the second studio album by metal group P.O.D.. The album was released on Rescue Records. It was initially released on October 8, 1996, and sold out quickly. The original issue is considered a very desirable collectible by fans and has different artwork. It was remastered, remixed and re-released in 2000 by Diamante. Many fans prefer the chunkier sound of the original issue.
- "Brown" is the debut album of the Experimental band Grotus.
- "Brown" is a musical album of Uwe Schmidt.
- released on (19 years ago)
- "Brown" is an album that was nominated for Best R&B/Soul Recording in the 2000 Juno Awards.
- "Brown" is a musical single of Mamá Ladilla.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Brown" is a musical album of Brown.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Brown" is a musical album of Interlard.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Brown" is a musical EP of Cepia.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Brown" is a composition.
- music by Jeff Alexander
- "Brown" a.k.a. "Esmer" is a musical album of Rober Hatemo.
- read more about Esmer
"Brown" is a book by Richard Rodriguez.
- genres: Autobiography, Sociology, Biography
- subjects: United States of America, History of the United States, Demographics of the United States, Erotica, History, Social history
- award: - National Book Critics Circle Award for General Nonfiction nomination for Richard Rodriguez
"Brown" is a 2012 short film directed by Dr. Kortney Ryan Ziegler.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genres: Documentary film, Biographical film, Historical Documentaries
- released in (4 years ago)
- Brown is the color of dark wood or rich soil. It is a composite color; in printing or painting, it is made by combining red, black and yellow, or red, yellow and blue. In the RGB color model used to make colors on television screens and computer monitors, it is made by combining red and green, in specific proportions. The color is seen widely in nature, in wood, soil, and human hair color, eye color and skin pigmentation. In Europe and the United States, it is the color most often associated with plainness, humility, the rustic, and poverty. It is also, according to public opinion surveys in Europe and the United States, the least favorite color of the public.
- Brown or Brown people is a racial and ethnic classification. Like black people and white people, it is a metaphor for race based on human skin color. In racialist anthropology, the color brown and the term brown people was used to describe a series of hypothesized racial groups that included various populations from North Africa, the Horn of Africa, Western Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Latin America and South America. In Brazil, brown people is a cognate term for pardo. In North America, both Latinos and South Asians sometimes self-identify or are described as brown people.
- also known as Brown people
- Brown is a breed coloring.
- Brown is an educational institution, school.
- Brown is not a true coat color. All "brown" horses are either genetically bay if they carry the "E" gene or genetically chestnut if they do not. Without genetic testing, however, a chestnut or bay horse may be called "brown" if there is little red in its coat.
- Brown is a lunar impact crater that is located in the southeast part of the Moon, to the southwest of the prominent ray crater Tycho. Northwest of Brown is the crater Wilhelm, and to the west is Montanari.
Phrases with Brown
- Brown Ht
- Brown ale
- brown ash
- Brown Bag
- brown bat
- brown cup
- Brown Eye
- Brown Jay
- brown man
- brown oak
- brown out
- Brown Owl
- brown rat
- Brown Ray
- brown rot
- brown alga
- brown bear
- brown bent
View more phrases with the word Brown in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Brown
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
The brown rat is one of the world's most widespread and abundant mammals. It is considerably larger than its close relative, the ship, or black, rat, reaching up to 11 inches (28 cm) from nose to the base of the tail and weighing up to \% pounds ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Brown
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Brown
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Brînzei
Photo credit: grongar
- Brown Field
- Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown from Peanuts Men's "Swag" T-Shirt! Spotted by Mike Mozart of TheToyChannel and JeepersMedia on YouTube
Photo credit: JeepersMedia
- Brown Field
- COREY BROWN
Photo credit: NAPARAZZI
- Brown rice
For the February scavenger hunt category "natural".
Photo credit: Dano
- Brown Field
- Brown leaves
Photo credit: jrsnchzhrs
- Brown Field
- Brown Sugar
Photo credit: rwkvisual
- Brown Field
- NATHAN BROWN
Photo credit: NAPARAZZI
- Brown Field
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Brown
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (The Meaning of Christmas)
A Charlie Brown Christmas is the first prime-time animated TV special based upon the comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz. It was produced and directed ...
- Derren Brown Subliminal Advertising with explanation
Derren Brown's US version (with explanation) on his ad agency subliminal advertising bit.
- The true meaning of Christmas--Charlie Brown, Snoopy & Linus
This the true meaning of Christmas depicted by Linus and told to Charlie Brown...
- A Charlie Brown Christmas The Meaning of Christmas YouTube3
NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED ) Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes ...
- Derren Brown "Trains of Thought" NLP Explanation Video 1of 2
- Brown Color Meaning
- A Charlie Brown Christmas - True Meaning
Linus explains what Christmas is really all about.
- Brown Socks - The Meaning (live)
Brown Socks live La Claque , Genova,04/04/15 Vi piace la nostra musica? seguiteci su FB! FB link ...
- Derren Brown - 10 Heads in a Row (explanation)
- Color Brown Meaning and Mood Ring Color Symbolism
BROWN Color Meanings and Mood Ring Color Symbolism - Another Color Wheel Chart exclusive by...
- BROWN SEQUARD SYNDROME(BEST EXPLANATION)
- EG Brown Explanation
- Derren Brown - Stuck feet with EXPLANATION
Here's a fun trick. Preformed by Derren. Explaination later...
- Brown noser Meaning
Video shows what brown noser means. One who brownnoses (flatters or humors somebody in an obsequious manner for personal gain); one who sucks up; ...
- 3 Year Old Gus Sharing The True Meaning Of Christmas - Charlie Brown
This is 3 year old Gus sharing the Christmas story from Luke Chapter 2. Charlie Brown, Christmas, Linus, Luke 2, Luke 2:8-14, What Christmas...
- The Definition of Leadership - Deonte' Brown
- Eman & Doc Link - The Meaning Of Living (Imaani Brown Remix)
- Charlie Brown - True Meaning of Christmas - Luke 2, 8-14
Charlie Brown - True Meaning of Christmas - Luke 2, 8-14.
- Explanation On How Two Brown Eyed People Can Have a Blue Eyed Child
Hold your horses! Before you have that paternity test, consider the following... This video is a brief explanation on how it is possible for two brown eyed parents to ...
- Charlie Brown Christmas - Linus- The Meaning Of Christmas
Thats what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.
- Derren Brown - Language
Derren shows that it doesn't matter what language you speak. A hungarian speaking woman describes what she drew to an arabian speaking man. The man ...
- Derren Brown - How To Read Body Language Easily
Derren Brown shares his secrets on how to read someones mind, by feeling their body and reading their body language. Visit For...
- Body Language-Kaci Brown
- The Language Of Jesus Is Love/Scott Wesley Brown
Missions song by Scott Wesley Brown featuring a duet with Black Gospel artist Shirley Caesar.
- Non-Verbal Intelligence: Body Language Success #CSIWorld 2012 Dr. "Jack" Brown
- Stephen Brown - Language
- George Brown College School of ESL
The ESL program at George Brown College offers rewarding language training in the heart of Toronto -- one of the most multi-cultural cities in Canada.
- English Self-Study Lesson - Draw, Eat, Brown - ESL Lesson 248
SCRIPT A curtain is drawn across the stage. A person is eating cereal with a spoon. The chicken has browned. A) A curtain is drawn across the stage. (a) B) A ...
- ESL at George Brown College
produced by: ill Productions Directed by: Tino Mongelli & Anand Castellino Audio by: Matt Mariani.
- Delaware Dance Fever (DDF) Kaci Brown Body Language
Delaware Dance Fever (DDF) 05.17.2010 Kaci Brown Body Language.
See also the pronunciation examples of Brown!
Click on an item to play that video:
- BROWN | Colors in ASL - American Sign Language
The sign for BROWN in ASL - American Sign Language. A part of the colors series in ASL.
- Sign Language "No Hurry" Zac Brown Band
College ASL final project!
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear read in Sign Language
Brown Bear, Brown Bear read in Sign Language.
- 'brown' in American Sign Language
- Enter Sandman cover by Zac Brown Band with sign language interpretation.
Quotes about Brown
Scrabble value of B3R1O1W4N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Brown to see it in context!