The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun brute:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun brute
- Definition of the adjective brute
- Phrases with Brute
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Brute
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Brute
- Photos about Brute
- Videos about Brute
- Quotes about Brute
- Scrabble value of B3R1U1T1E1
- Anagrams of BRUTE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun brute
What does brute mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: brutes
- a cruelly rapacious person
- a living organism characterized by voluntary movement
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonyms of brute: animal / animate being / beast / creature / fauna
- more generic words: being / organism = a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
- more specific terms:
- pest = any unwanted and destructive insect or other animal that attacks food or crops or livestock etc.
- critter = a regional term for `creature'
- creepy-crawly = an animal that creeps or crawls
- darter = a person or other animal that moves abruptly and rapidly
- peeper = an animal that makes short high-pitched sounds
- homoiotherm / homeotherm / homotherm = an animal that has a body temperature that is relatively constant and independent of the environmental temperature
- poikilotherm / ectotherm = an animal whose body temperature varies with the temperature of its surroundings
- range animal = any animal that lives and grazes in the grassy open land of western North America
- varment / varmint = any usually predatory wild animal considered undesirable
- scavenger = any animal that feeds on refuse and other decaying organic matter
- work animal = an animal trained for and used for heavy labor
- domesticated animal / domestic animal = any of various animals that have been tamed and made fit for a human environment
- feeder = an animal that feeds on a particular source of food
- migrator = an animal (especially birds and fish) that travels between different habitats at particular times of the year
- moulter / molter = an animal (especially birds and arthropods and reptiles) that periodically shed their outer layer
- pet = a domesticated animal kept for companionship or amusement
- stayer = a person or other animal having powers of endurance or perseverance
- stunt = a creature (especially a whale) that has been prevented from attaining full growth
- marine creature / marine animal / sea creature / sea animal = any of numerous animals inhabiting the sea including e.g. fishes and molluscs and many mammals
- female = an animal that produces gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes
- male = an animal that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that can fertilize female gametes
- adult = any mature animal
- offspring / young = any immature animal
- thoroughbred / pureblood / purebred = a pedigreed animal of unmixed lineage
- giant = any creature of exceptional size
- survivor = an animal that survives in spite of adversity
- mutant = an animal that has undergone mutation
- herbivore = any animal that feeds chiefly on grass and other plants
- insectivore = any organism that feeds mainly on insects
- acrodont = an animal having teeth consolidated with the summit of the alveolar ridge without sockets
- pleurodont = an animal having teeth fused with the inner surface of the alveolar ridge without sockets
- zooplankton = animal constituent of plankton
- fertilized egg / conceptus / embryo = an animal organism in the early stages of growth and differentiation that in higher forms merge into fetal stages but in lower forms terminate in commencement of larval life
- chordate = any animal of the phylum Chordata having a notochord or spinal column
- invertebrate = any animal lacking a backbone or notochord
- metazoan = any animal of the subkingdom Metazoa
- omnivore = an animal that feeds on both animal and vegetable substances
- predatory animal / predator = any animal that lives by preying on other animals
- quarry / prey = animal hunted or caught for food
- game = animal hunted for food or sport
- hexapod = an animal having six feet
- biped = an animal with two feet
- larva = the immature free-living form of most invertebrates and amphibians and fish which at hatching from the egg is fundamentally unlike its parent and must metamorphose
- racer = an animal that races
- fictional animal = animals that exist only in fiction
- captive = an animal that is confined
- mate = the partner of an animal
- member of: animal kingdom / Animalia / kingdom Animalia = taxonomic kingdom comprising all living or extinct animals
- substance: animal tissue = the tissue in the bodies of animals
Alternative definition of the noun brute
- An animal seen as being without human reason; a senseless beast. [definition from 17th c.]
- Someone with the characteristics of an unthinking animal; a coarse or brutal person. [definition from 17th c.]
Definition of the adjective brute
What does brute mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: bruter |
- resembling a beast; showing lack of human sensibility
Alternative definition of the adjective brute
- Without reason or intelligence (of animals). [definition from 15th c.]
- Characteristic of unthinking animals; senseless, unreasoning (of humans). [definition from 16th c.]
- Being unconnected with intelligence or thought; purely material, senseless. [definition from 16th c.]
- Crude, unpolished. [definition from 17th c.]
Brute a.k.a. Brute.: Brute was a side project band by guitarist Vic Chesnutt and the members of Widespread Panic.
- read more about Brute.
Who is Brute?
Brute a.k.a. Aidan Hughes is a commercial artist. He was born in 1956 in Merseyside, England, and was trained as an artist by his father, himself a landscape painter.
- read more about Aidan Hughes
- "Brute" is a song by industrial rock group KMFDM that was first released on their 1995 album Nihil. It was also released as a single with the song "Revolution" as B-side.
- "Brute" is a composition.
- "Brute" is a musical single of Ferry Corsten & Armin van Buuren.
- released on
- "Brute" is a 1995 single by KMFDM.
- genre: Industrial music
- released on (19 years ago)
- "Brute" is a composition.
- music by Philip Oakey
- "Brute": Bandyta is a 1997 drama film written by Cezary Harasimowicz and directed by Maciej Dejczer.
- also known as Bandyta
- countries: Germany, Poland, France
- language: English Language
- producers: Claus Boje, Leonardo De La Fuente, Edouard Douek & Lew Rywin
- production design by Andrzej Przedworski
- written by Cezary Harasimowicz
- cinematography by Marian Prokop & Arthur Reinhart
- edited by Arpad Bondy, Katarzyna Rudnik, Scott Stevenson
- music by Michał Lorenc
- costume design by Magdalena Biedrzycka
- set decoration by Ewa Braun
- genre: Drama
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Brute" is a 2013 documentary film directed by Navid Sinaki.
- Brute is a fictional character in Marvel Comics.
- Brute is a fictional character from the 1997 film Brute.
- Brute is a fictional character, a mutant in the Marvel Comics Universe. His first appearance was in New Mutants vol. 1 #91.
- Brute is a fictional character from the 2011 film Cross.
BRUTE is an Aviation waypoint, Geocode.
Phrases with Brute
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Brute
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Halo Encyclopedia (2011)
by DK Publishing
BRUTE CAPTAIN ULTRA captain ranks and these beasts are immensely strong and agile. They wear cyan armor, which offers very high resistance to most weapons. JIRALHANAERANKS BRUTE SPECIALISTS ROLE: Airborne shocktroops ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
BRUTE, n. brdt L. Imitus; It. bruto, stupid, irrational; F. Irrut, raw, rough : a beast; any animal except man; a savage ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
BRUTE, n. & adj ...
The New Hacker's Dictionary (1996)
by Eric S. Raymond
BRS o brute force 9l provided a central or default meaning of the word previously lacking in hacker usage. Nowadays, if someone mentions using a 'browser' without qualification, one may assume it is a Web browser. BRS /B-R-S/ n. Syn.
by Binh Nguyen
html brute force BS BS BS BS BS BS2000 BSA adj. Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing ...
a work of universal reference in all departments of knowledge, with a new atlas of the world ... by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
brute (br8t), ...
Volume 26 - Supplement 11: Aaron: Art and Artificial Intelligence to Transducers by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
Brute force tree-searching methods have already accomplished a lot more in terms of chess playing strength than many well-educated writers would have opined [11,12]. When the CHESS series reached the expert level in the late 1970s, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Brute
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Brute
Click on an item to view that photo:
Pete seems to fit the description every gay man who's ever been attacked gives to the police.
Photo credit: fwonkas
Photo credit: sherrattsam
Photo credit: Tomoir III
Photo credit: Editor B
- Halo Reach: Brute
Shots from Halo Reach
Photo credit: commorancy
- Gloomhaven Brute Alternate Model Comparison
Photo credit: Paul Hood
- Brute Strength
US Military vehicle outside Coventry Cathedral
Photo credit: Marcus T Ward
- Veuve Clicquot Brute
Golden yellow color with aromas of ripe apples, peaches, quince, and white blossoms. The mousse is creamy and persistent, and the palate shows flavors of brioche, vanilla, crisp citrus, yellow fruit, and a toasty finish.
Photo credit: adambarhan
- Tour Eiffel - Brute
La Tour Eiffel en pied pendant son 1/4 d'heure de folie.
The Eiffel Tower while it shine...
Photo credit: Gimli_36
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Brute
Click on an item to play that video:
- Et tu, Brute Meaning
Video shows what et tu, Brute means. "You too, Brutus" or "even you, Brutus", expression of betrayal.. Et tu, Brute Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Brute Meaning
Video shows what brute means. Without reason or intelligence (of animals).. Characteristic of unthinking animals; senseless, unreasoning (of humans).
- Kettlebell Brute Strength Workout (explanation)
A brief explanation of the Kettlebell Brute Strength ladder workout which includes two 10 minute sets plus a kettlebell carry finisher.
- Grand Geneva Golf - Brute #1 Hole Description
A video tutorial of how to play #1 on Grand Geneva's legendary Brute Golf Course designed by Robert Bruce Harris. The course is located at highways 12 and ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Brute!
Quotes about Brute
Scrabble value of B3R1U1T1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine