On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bryophyta
What does bryophyta mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a division of nonflowering plants characterized by rhizoids rather than true roots and having little or no organized vascular tissue and showing alternation of generations between gamete-bearing forms and spore-bearing forms; comprises true mosses (Bryopsida) and liverworts (Hepaticopsida) and hornworts (Anthoceropsida)
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of Bryophyta: division Bryophyta
- more generic word: division = taxonomic unit of plants corresponding to a phylum
- member of: kingdom Plantae / plant kingdom / Plantae = the taxonomic kingdom comprising all living or extinct plants
- nonvascular plant / bryophyte = any of numerous plants of the division Bryophyta
- moss family = a family of mosses
- moss genus = a genus of mosses
- class Anthoceropsida / Anthoceropsida = hornworts: in some classification systems included in the class Hepaticopsida
- class Bryopsida / class Musci / Bryopsida / Musci = true mosses: bryophytes having leafy rather than thalloid gametophytes: comprises orders Andreaeales; Bryales; Dicranales; Eubryales
- class Hepaticopsida / class Hepaticae / Hepaticopsida / Hepaticae = liverworts: comprises orders Anthocerotales; Jungermanniales; Marchantiales
Phrases with Bryophyta
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bryophyta
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Genetics Classical To Modern (2007)
by P. K. Gupta
Bryophyta is a group of the simplest and primitive plants which occupy a position between the green land thallophyta (algae) and the pteridophyta. It is a small group represented by about 960 genera and 24,000 species. They are worldwide ...
Bryophyta is a group of non-vascular land plants of moist habitats, in which diploid sporophyte lives as a parasite on independent haploid gametophyte. They occur in damp and shady places. They are usually amphibious in habitat.
Bryophyte Ecology (2012)
by A. Smith
Although the Bryophyta is a relatively small division of plants, with between 14000 and 21000 species the interest that they have aroused is out of all proportion to the size either of the plants or of the division. It is evident, however, that despite ...
Asking about Life (2005)
by Allan J. Tobin, Jennie Dusheck
Bryophyta is the single division of nonvascular plants. The nine divisions of Tracheophyta are all vascular plants. Table 22-1 The Divisions of Plants Division Bryophyta (mosses, liverworts, 452 PART FOUR DIVERSITY What Are the ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (2016)
11th Edition by Various Authors
Between the Hepaticae, Anthocerotales, Sphagnales and Musci, there are no connecting forms known, and it must be left as an open question whether the Bryophyta are a monophyletic or polyphyletic group. The question of the relationship of ...
Dictionary of Biology (2014)
by Bill Indge
Bryophyta functions. The main functions of some of the major parts of the brain are given below. • The forebrain - The cerebrum, or cerebral hemispheres, controls the body's voluntary behavior. It is responsible for analyzing and interpreting ...
by John Owen Edward Clark, William Hemsley
Bryophyta Division of the plant kingdom that consists principally of the liverworts and mosses. In evolutionary terms...
A Dictionary of Science (2017)
by Jonathan Law
Like the mosses (see BRYOPHYTA), liverworts show marked alternation of generations between haploid gametebearing forms (gametophytes) and diploid sporebearing forms (sporophytes), the latter being dependent on the former for ...
A Biographical Dictionary of Contributors to the Natural History of the Free State and Lesotho (2008)
by Rodney Moffett
Bryophyta part 1; Mosses, fascicle 1 Sphagnaceae – Grimmiaceae. Flora of Southern Africa, Botanical Research Institute, Pretoria. Magill, R.E. 1987. Bryophyta part 1; Mosses, fascicle 2 Gigaspermaceae – Bartramiaceae.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bryophyta
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bryophyta
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of B3R1Y4O1P3H4Y4T1A1
The value of this 9-letter word is 22 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Bryophyta to find many related words and phrases!