Buy appears in the following tongue twisters:
- If you're keen on stunning kites and cunning stunts,
buy a cunning stunning stunt kite.
- To begin to toboggan,
first buy a toboggan.
But don't buy too big a toboggan.
Too big a toboggan is too big a toboggan to buy to begin to toboggan.
Buy appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- For evil’s live day, ubiety located a cadet-acolyte I buy a devil-sliver of.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun buy
- Definition of the verb buy
- Phrases with Buy
- Printed books with definitions for Buy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Buy
- Usage statistics about buy
- Photos about Buy
- Videos about Buy
- Sign language
- Quotes about Buy
- Scrabble value of B3U1Y4
- Anagrams of BUY
- Share this page
The word buy is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun buy
What does buy mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: buys
- an advantageous purchase
- example: the stock was a real buy at that price
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of buy: bargain / steal
- more generic word: purchase = something acquired by purchase
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun buy
- Something which is bought; a purchase.
- antonym: sale
Definition of the verb buy
What does buy mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
- obtain by purchase; acquire by means of a financial transaction
- examples: She buys for the big department store | The children buy the ball
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Theme] Carmen bought Mary a dress [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Carmen bought a dress | Carmen obtained the spare part [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] for [Asset] Carmen bought a dress for $50 [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] for [Beneficiary] Carmen bought a dress for Mary [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] Carmen bought a dress from Diana | Carmen obtained the spare part from Diana [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] at / for [Asset] FMC has bought 565,000 shares from Nortek Inc. at $23.50 a share [Asset - not location] [Verb] [Theme] $50 won't even buy a dress
Verbs of Change of Possession (with the same syntax): attain, book, call, catch, charter, choose, conserve, find, gather, hire, lease, order, phone, pick, pluck, procure, pull, reach, rent, reserve, shoot, slaughter, vote, win.
- domain: commerce / commercialism / mercantilism
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonym of buy: purchase
- antonym of buy: sell
- more generic words: acquire / get = come into the possession of something concrete or abstract
- more specific terms:
- repurchase / buy back = buy what had previously been sold, lost, or given away
- take = buy, select
- get = purchase
- subscribe to / subscribe / take = receive or obtain regularly
- take over / buy out / buy up = take over ownership of
- pick up = buy casually or spontaneously
- buy food / take out = purchase prepared food to be eaten at home
- impulse-buy = buy on impulse without proper reflection
- entailments: choose / pick out / select / take = pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives; pay = give money, usually in exchange for goods or services
- make illegal payments to in exchange for favors or influence
- example: Sam cannot buy Sue
- domain: crime / criminal offence / criminal offense / law-breaking
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of buy: bribe / corrupt / grease one's palms
- more generic word: pay = give money, usually in exchange for goods or services
- more specific terms:
- be worth or be capable of buying
- acquire by trade or sacrifice or exchange
- accept as true
Alternative definition of the verb buy
- [transitive] To obtain (something) in exchange for money or goods
- [transitive] To obtain by some sacrifice.
- [transitive] To bribe.
- synonym: make a buy
- [transitive] To be equivalent to in value.
- [transitive, informal] to accept as true; to believe
- [intransitive] To make a purchase or purchases.
Buy a.k.a. Bunbury Airport is an airport servicing the Western Australian city of Bunbury. Bunbury Airport is located 8 km south-west of the city centre and is the only airport serving the city. The airport is used largely as a facility for general and recreational flight training, but provides for charter services to the region. Additionally the airport is regularly used for Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Flying Doctor Service and Department of Environment and Conservation operations. Bunbury Airport serves an area that includes the city of Bunbury and the surrounding districts of Harvey, Dardanup, Capel and the South West region beyond.
- part of Western Australia
"Buy" is the debut studio album by American no wave band James Chance and the Contortions. It was released in 1979 through ZE Records.
- also known as Buy The Contortions
- genres: No wave, Free funk, Punk jazz, Jazz, Free jazz
- released in (36 years ago)
- Buy a.k.a. Kobiana Language: Kobiana or Buy is a Senegambian language of Senegal and Guinea-Bissau.
- read more about Kobiana Language
- Buy a.k.a. The Bullom So language, also called Mmani or Mandingi, is an endangered language spoken near the border between Guinea and Sierra Leone. It belongs to the Mel branch of the Niger–Congo language family and is particularly closely related to the Bom language. The people have intermarried with Temne and Susu speakers. As the few remaining speakers of Bullom So are all over 60, the language is considered moribund.
- also known as Bullin, Bullun, Mandingi, Northern Bullom, Bolom, Mmani, Bulem, Mandenyi, Bullom So
- Buy a.k.a. .buy is a new generic top level domain name applied for in ICANN's New gTLD Program This domain was bought by Amazon.com in an auction with price of $4,588,888 beating Google and two other competitors in an auction.
Phrases with Buy
Phrases starting with the word Buy:
- buy at
- buy in
- buy it
- buy up
- buy off
- buy out
- buy back
- buy food
- buy into
- buy time
- Buy Cotton
- Buy Off on
- Buy to let
Phrases ending with the word Buy:
Other phrases containing the word Buy:
View more phrases with the word Buy in thesaurus!
Printed books with definitions for Buy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
So Arranged as to Combine the Analytical and Synthetical Methods : with an Introduction for Beginners, and Various Exercises, Oral and Written, for the Formation, Analysis, Transformation, Classification and Correction of Sentences by Samuel Stillman Greene
" You may buy books or slates." It is a partial or contracted compound sentence.* you is the subject. Mtnj buy is the predicate. Yuu is not limited.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Buy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about buy
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb buy:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun buy:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb buy:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb buy and its most common antonym:
Photos about Buy
Click on an item to view that photo:
Make or buy
Photo credit: Owens Culinary
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Buy
Click on an item to play that video:
- Pullback Buy Explanation in Chart School
This is a description of the pullback buy set up as outlined in the Chart School section of...
- Metal Detector: Before you buy - Terminology
Explanation of the metal detecting terminology you need to know before buying a detector: Phase Shift, Target ID, and Discrimination. This video shows ...
- Buy Meaning
Video shows what buy means. To obtain (something) in exchange for money or goods. To obtain by some sacrifice.. To bribe.. buy pronunciation. How to ...
- Money Can't Buy Happiness & It's Meaning - Cara Ransom
Taking a two minute look at the quote "money can't buy happiness" KIPP Summit Application.
- Nourish Yourself with Nature & Meaning! Buy Lighting You Love.org
- The Real Meaning of Christmas by Rosemary Cabanas, buy on giftsfromroseofmary.com
- Money can't buy happiness Meaning
Video shows what money can't buy happiness means. Money can buy external things, but true happiness comes from inside.. Money can't buy happiness ...
- Traffic Monsoon - Buy AdPacks and explanation
- Buy down Definition
- Buy Sony HDR CX430V Definition Handycam Camcorder
- Buy D3200 Telephoto Zoom nikkor Professional Definition
- 4x05 Bree, buy a dictionary!
Danielle has been sent to a convent to hide her pregnancy, Phyllis found out and decided to take desperate measures to have her grandson by her side; ...
- Buy U a Reflexive Verb
T-Pain ft. Young Joc? nah.... Alex ft. CJ. this was a project made for Senior Buscaglia's freshman class. enjoy!
- WINDOWS 10 TRY BEFORE BUY : How to get and install another language Pack
In this short video you will learn how to get and install a different language pack to Windows 10 , this could be handy if your language does not support Cortana ...
- Practice Listening English Skill - ESL Podcast 171: Buy a Used Car
Learn Real English - ESL Podcast 171: Buy a Used Car.
- Buy Side Sell Side Analyst, Job Description of Equity Research Analyst
For details, visit...
- [ESL Tutorials] - Six science based ways that money actually CAN buy happiness
- Language of Desire Review | Do Not Buy Language Of Desire Before You Watch This Reviews
To Get Language of Desire Click On This Link...
- Language Learning FREE Buy eBooks.
- Language of Desire Review - Don't Buy Language of Desire Till You See This!
See also the pronunciation examples of Buy!
Sign Language Lesson 17: "You can buy food at Target."
Quotes about Buy
Buy a ticket for me, can you buy,
Could you buy, would you buy
And will you buy, all are requests,
The last one is more pleasing
[Where option is more open]
07.06.2003 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about buy...
Scrabble value of B3U1Y4
The value of this 3-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BUY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Buy!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Buy to see it in context!