On this page:
Definition of the noun caryophyllales
What does caryophyllales mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- corresponds approximately to the older group Centrospermae
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific name: Chenopodiales
- synonyms of Caryophyllales: order Caryophyllales / order-Chenopodiales
- more generic term: plant order = the order of plants
- member of: Caryophyllidae / subclass Caryophyllidae = a group of families of mostly flowers having basal or central placentation and trinucleate pollen (binucleate pollen is commoner in flowering plants); contains 14 families including: Caryophyllaceae (carnations and pinks); Aizoaceae; Amaranthaceae; Batidaceae; Chenopodiaceae; Cactaceae (order Opuntiales); Nyctaginaceae; Phytolaccaceae; corresponds approximately to order Caryophyllales
- family Caryophyllaceae / carnation family / Caryophyllaceae / pink family = large family of herbs or subshrubs
- family Tetragoniaceae / carpetweed family / family Aizoaceae / Tetragoniaceae / Aizoaceae = succulent herbs or small shrubs mostly of South Africa but also New Zealand and North America: carpetweeds
- family Amaranthaceae / amaranth family / Amaranthaceae = cosmopolitan family of herbs and shrubs
- family Batidaceae / saltwort family / Batidaceae = family coextensive with genus Batis: saltworts
- family Chenopodiaceae / goosefoot family / Chenopodiaceae = includes spinach and beets
- family Nyctaginaceae / family Allioniaceae / four-o'clock family / Nyctaginaceae / Allioniaceae = a family of flowering plants of the order Caryophyllales
- family Phytolaccaceae / pokeweed family / Phytolaccaceae = chiefly tropical herbaceous plants (including shrubs and trees) with racemose flowers: genera Phytolacca, Agdestis, Ercilla, Rivina, Trichostigma
- family Portulacaceae / purslane family / Portulacaceae = family of usually succulent herbs
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Caryophyllales
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by William M. MacArthur
The Caryophyllales is a very large and diverse group containing carnations, amaranths, cacti and most of the carnivorous plants. The Saxifragales is another diverse group containing liquidamber, saxifrage, gooseberry, black currant, peony ...
THE MAIN NAPHTHOQUINONE-CONTAINING ORDERS Caryophyllales The Caryophyllales is a large order containing ca. 6.3% of eudicot diversity. Of interest are the four carnivorous plant families; Droseraceae, Nepenthaceae, ...
The order Caryophyllales is a large natural association of families diagnosed in part by a curved ...
by Michael Allaby
(order *Caryophyllales) A family, mostly of *herbs, in which the leaves are * simple, *opposite, normally entire, and *exstipulate. The flowers are usually borne in terminal, forked *cymes (dichasia) with a central flower in each fork; they are ...
by Tatiana Wielgorskaya, Armen Leonovich Takhtadzhi͡an
Caryophyllales. 1 /1. Argentina. Genus Halophytum. HALORAGACEAE R. Br. 1814. Dicots. Ha- loragales. 8/145. Cosmopolitan, esp. Southern Hemisphere (chiefly Australia).
6000 Scientific Terms Explored and Explained by Michael Allaby
Talinaceae (order Caryophyllales) A family of herbs, lianas and shrubs, often with tubers that has been recognized by the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group to address long-standing phylogenetic difficulties in the order. There are 2 genera of 27 ...
Encyclopedia of Food Grains (2015)
by Colin W Wrigley, Harold Corke, Koushik Seetharaman, Jonathan Faubion
Triticum Cereal Eudicots Core eudicots Caryophyllales Amaranthaceae Amaranthoideae Amaranthus Pseudocereal Chenopodioideae Atripliceae Chenopodium Pseudocereal Polygonaceae Fagopyrum Pseudocereal Asterids Asterales ...
A Dictionary of Genetics (2013)
by Robert C. King, Pamela Mulligan, William Stansfield
order Caryophyllales (carnations, Mirabilis) order Gentianales (gentians, olives, lilacs, Vinca) order Ericales (Primula) order Malvales (Gossypium, ...
by Vladimir V. Gouli, Svetlana Y. Gouli, Jose A.P. Marcelino
Anabasis aphylla small shrub (Caryophyllales: Amaranthaceae) containing an alkaloid, anabasine, closely related to nicotine; the plant is used as a botanical pesticide. Figure 14 Amynothrips andersoni (above); plant damage by thrips ...
by Philip Kearey
Caryophyllales ( Cactus, Beets, ...
by Katherine Dunster
Cannabidaceae Moraceae Leitneriaceae Rhoipteleaceae Juglandaceae Myricaceae Balanopaceae Fagaceae Betulaceae Casuarinales Casuarinaceae Caryophyllidae Caryophyllales Phytolaccaceae Achatocarpaceae Nyctaginaceae ...
Major ectomycorrhizal clade Geraniales Myrtales Sapindales Malvales Brassicales Santalales Major hemiparasitic clade Caryophyllales Many C4 plants Cornales Ericales Icacinales ...
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
Caryophyllaceae Botany, a family of dicotyledonous herbs of the order Caryophyllales having opposite, sometimes connate-perfoliate leaves, flowers with long, tapered petals, and an ovary with free-central placentation. Caryophyllaceae ...
by Daniel Simberloff, Marcel Rejmanek
Order Caryophyllales: 4 families, 5 genera, 7 species Cactaceae ( Pereskia); ...
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
A cochineal insect restricted to Cylindropuntia species (Caryophyllales: Cactaceae), or Genera Cereus and Opuntia. Occurs in all zoogeographic regions except Orient. DRPC used for biological control of Cylindropuntia imbricata (Haw. ) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Caryophyllales
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Caryophyllales
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of C3A1R1Y4O1P3H4Y4L1L1A1L1E1S1
The value of this 14-letter word is 27 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine