The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb cave in:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun cave in
- Definition of the verb cave in
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cave In
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cave In
- Photos about Cave In
- Video language resources about Cave In
- Quotes about Cave In
- Anagrams of CAVE IN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cave in
What does cave in mean as a name of something?
- the sudden collapse of something into a hollow beneath it
Alternative definition of the noun cave in
- The act of something collapsing or caving in.
- The location where something has caved in.
- [idiomatic] The act of relenting.
Definition of the verb cave in
What does cave in mean as a doing phrase?
- break down, literally or metaphorically
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of cave in: break / collapse / fall in / founder / give / give way
- more generic word: change = undergo a change; become different in essence
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb cave in
- To collapse inward or downward.
- [idiomatic] To relent; to acquiesce; to comply; to grant approval; to lose willpower.
Cave In is an American rock band that formed in 1995, in Methuen, Massachusetts. After several members changes in the late 1990s, their lineup solidified with the 1998 release of Until Your Heart Stops through Hydra Head Records. Their early albums were prominent in the metalcore scene. After this release, the band started experimenting with other genres. Cave In later received mainstream recognition for their 2003 RCA Records album Antenna and its lead single "Anchor," which had an overall alternative rock style. The group went on hiatus in 2006 and later reformed in 2009 with the release of a new EP, Planets of Old, as well as a new LP in 2011, titled White Silence. Both of these post-hiatus releases saw a return to Cave In's earlier and heavier sound.
- genres: Heavy metal, Rock music, Space rock, Alternative rock, Metalcore, Mathcore, Progressive rock, Post-hardcore, Hard rock, Alternative metal, Art rock, Progressive metal
- albums: "Until Your Heart Stops", "Creative Eclipses", "Jupiter", "Tides of Tomorrow", "Anchor", "Bootleg", "Antenna", "Live Airwaves", "Perfect Pitch Black", "Beyond Hypothermia", "Lift-Off", "Moons of Jupiter", "[untitled]", "Planets of Old", "Epicenter", "Anomalies, Vol. 1", "White Silence", "In These Black Days, Volume V"
- official website: www.cavein.net
- "Cave In" a.k.a. "Cave-in!" is a musical album of The Gruesomes.
- "Cave In" a.k.a. "Cave-In" is a musical EP of The Great Deceiver.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Cave In" is a composition.
- music by Elmer Bernstein
"Cave In" a.k.a. "Cave-in" is a book by Franklin W. Dixon.
- "Cave In" is a 2003 action, adventure, drama film written by Peter Sullivan and directed by Rex Piano.
- also known as A barlang fogságában, Deep Down - Kein Entkommen, Eglovismenoi, Intrappolati al centro della Terra, Le coeur enseveli, Piège en profondeur, Rescate en la mina, Soterrados
- countries: New Zealand, United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Dale G. Bradley, Grant Bradley, Jozsef Fityus
- executive producers: Paul Colichman, Mark Huljich, Stephen P. Jarchow & Jeffrey Schenck
- production design by Paul Gray & Ashley Turner
- art direction by Ross McGarva
- written by Peter Sullivan
- Mimi Rogers as Pat Bogen
- Ted Shackelford as Chief Bogen
- Bruce Allpress as Cappy Shuster
- Paul Gittins as Mac
- Jon Brazier as Jackman
- Ben Castles as Rabbit
- Winston Harris as Bull
- David Saccente as Dunbar
- Kip Chapman as Slim
- Morgan Reese Fairhead as Brooke
- Margaret-Mary Hollins as Christine
- Nikita Kearsley as Ashley
- Meryl Main as Susan
- David Taylor as Weasel
- Charlotte Woollams as Amanda
- casting by Lindsay Chag
- cinematography by Renaud Maire
- edited by Patrick Monaghan
- music by Andrew McDowall
- costume design by Sara Beale
- genres: Action Film, Adventure Film, Drama
- tagline: When a fight for survival gets personal.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Cave In" a.k.a. "Cave-In!" is an American action film starring Dennis Cole, Leslie Nielsen, and James Olson. The movie was produced by Irwin Allen in 1979 in association with Warner Bros. Television for NBC but not aired until 1983.
Cave In a.k.a. Cave-in: A cave-in is a collapse of a geologic formation, mine or structure which may occur during mining or tunneling. Geologic structures prone to spontaneous cave-ins include alvar, tsingy and other limestone formations, but can also include lava tubes and a variety of other subsurface rock formations. Glacier caves and other ice formations are very prone to collapse from exposure to warm temperatures or running water.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cave In
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Ventana Cave in Arizona and Tularosa Cave, Cordova Cave, Bat Cave and Sandia Cave in New Mexico have very early dates of first utilization and show long records of employment (often as long as 10,000 years or more). Still further south ...
by Barbara Ann Kipfer
Labastide: Magdalenian cave in Hautes–Pyrdndes, France, with many engraved figures anda large polychrome horse painting. There are hearths and engraved stones ...
Encyclopedia of Monasticism (2013)
by William M. Johnston
When it is an excavated cave temple, it is understood as a cave in the side of Mount Meru, reaching the very core of the world-system axis. Thus, c. 15th century. mandala, Tibet, Photo courtesy of John C. 812 MANDALA.
by Jean-Charles Seigneuret
The Cave in Antiquity In Western literature, the cave has had and continues to have symbolic values derived from a tradition that originates in Homer's epic Odysseia (Odyssey, c. 8th century B.c.) and that is given its most striking expression in ...
The Kentucky Encyclopedia (2015)
by John E. Kleber
Crumps Cave in Hart County was explored and mapped by Norman Pace, Joseph Saunders, Keith Ortize, and others. Ortize, Saunders, Daniel Crowl, and others began the massive exploration effort in the Fisher Ridge Cave System in Hart ...
Encyclopedia of Caves (2012)
by William B. White, David C. Culver
It is the longest cave in the world by a factor of 3, with about 631 km (392 miles) of ...
by Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama
Historical Context The cave in South Africa's Gauteng Province, a World Heritage Site, has yielded the oldest and most complete human skull in science. It dates to 2.5 million years ago and figures in the search for human origins. In terms of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cave In
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cave In
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Cave in!
The ceiling caved in!
Photo credit: MicahJon
- Cave in Amman
Photo credit: Andrew 鐘
- Cave in Wolfscote Dale
A cave in Wolfscote Dale
Photo credit: johncooke
- Indian Cave in Craters of the Moon edit
Photo credit: sociotard
- Cave in the Mountainside
Photo credit: blmurch
- Cave in Marble Mountain
Photo credit: NH53
- Cave in Halong Bay
Photo credit: NH53
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Cave In
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Cave In!
Quotes about Cave In
I keep waiting for the roof to cave in. I was raised to follow the Golden Rule, you know, treat people the way you wish to be treated. That's kind of the way I live my life. Maybe someone up there likes me for that. (Matt LeBlanc)