"Chemmeen" is a 1965 Malayalam romantic drama film based on the highly acclaimed novel of the same name by Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai and directed by Ramu Kariat from a screenplay by S. L. Puram Sadanandan.
- also known as Chemeen, Chemmeen Lahren
- country: India
- language: Malayalam Language
- producer: Babu Ismail Settu
- written by Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai & S. L. Puram Sadanandan
- based on a story by Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai
- cinematography by Marcus Bartley & U. Rajagopal
- edited by Hrishikesh Mukherjee & K.D. George
- music by Salil Chowdhury
- genres: Drama, Romance, Malayalam Cinema, World cinema
- released on (48 years ago)
- award: - National Film Award for Best Feature Film, received by Babu Ismail Settu, Kanmani Films, Ramu Kariat
"Chemmeen" is a Malayalam novel written by Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai in 1956. Chemmeen tells the story of the relationship between Karuthamma, the daughter of a Hindu fisherman, and Pareekutti, the son of a Muslim fish wholesaler.The theme of the novel is a myth among the fishermen communities along the coastal Kerala State in the Southern India. The myth is about chastity. If the married fisher woman was infidel when her husband was in the sea, the Sea Goddess the Goddess would consume him. It is to perpetuate this myth that Thakazhi wrote this beautiful novel. It was adapted into a film of same name, which won critical acclaim and commercial success.
- genres: Chivalric romance, Drama, Romance novel
- released in (58 years ago)
"Chemmeen" is a musical album of Salil Chowdhury, soundtrack.
- also known as Chemmeen Soundtrack
- genre: World music
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Chemmeen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
India Today: An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic (2011)
An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic by Arnold P. Kaminsky, Roger D. Long Ph.D.
published Chemmeen ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Chemmeen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Chemmeen
Photo credit: zedvox
Scrabble value of C3H4E1M3M3E1E1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 17 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Chemmeen for some fun with words!