On this page:
- Definition of the noun chile
- Phrases with Chile
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Chile
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Chile
- Photos about Chile
- Videos about Chile
- Quotes about Chile
- Scrabble value of C3H4I1L1E1
- Anagrams of CHILE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun chile
What does chile mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- chile: chiles
- Chile: -
- very hot and finely tapering pepper of special pungency
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of chile: chili / chili pepper / chilli / chilly
- more generic term: hot pepper = any of various pungent capsicum fruits
- more specific terms:
- part of: Capsicum annuum longum / cayenne / cayenne pepper / chili pepper / chilli pepper / jalapeno / long pepper = plant bearing very hot and finely tapering long peppers
- substance of: chili powder = powder made of ground chili peppers mixed with e.g. cumin and garlic and oregano
Alternative definition of the noun chile
- [US, regional] chili
- [US, dialect, South, African American Vernacular English] child
Chile, officially the Republic of Chile, is a South American country occupying a long, narrow strip of land between the Andes mountains to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west. It borders Peru to the north, Bolivia to the northeast, Argentina to the east, and the Drake Passage in the far south. Chilean territory includes the Pacific islands of Juan Fernández, Salas y Gómez, Desventuradas, and Easter Island in Oceania. Chile also claims about 1,250,000 square kilometres of Antarctica, although all claims are suspended under the Antarctic Treaty.
- also known as Republic of Chile
- founded on (205 years ago)
- part of Latin America, Americas, South America
- instance of: South American country / South American nation = any one of the countries occupying the South American continent
- Patagonia = region in southern South America between the Andes and the South Atlantic
- Antofagasta = a port city on the Pacific in northern Chile
- Chiloe = the largest Chilean island and the only one to be settled
- Santiago de Chile / capital of Chile / Gran Santiago / Santiago = the capital and largest city of Chile; located in central Chile
- Punta Arenas = a city in southern Chile on the Strait of Magellan
- Temuco = a city in central Chile to the south of Concepcion
- Valparaiso = the chief port and second largest city of Chile
- Vina del Mar = a resort city on the Pacific in central Chile
- Tierra del Fuego = an archipelago off southern South America; separated from the continent by the Strait of Magellan
- Cape Horn = a rocky headland belonging to Chile at the southernmost tip of South America
- Cape Froward = a cape on the Strait of Magellan in southern Chile
- Atacama Desert = a desert in western Chile that extends roughly 600 miles south from the Peruvian border
- Guallatiri = the world's highest volcano; in the Andes in northern Chile
- Lascar = a volcano in the Andes in Chile
- Tupungatito = an inactive volcano in central Chile
- Andes = a mountain range in South America running 5000 miles along the Pacific coast
- El Muerto = a mountain peak in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile
- Llullaillaco = a mountain in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile
- Ojos del Salado = a mountain in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile
- Tupungato = a mountain in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile
- member of: OAS / Organization of American States = an association including most countries in the western hemisphere
- member: Chilean = a native or inhabitant of Chile
- read more about Chile (country)
Who is Chile?
Chile a.k.a. Felipe Flores is a football player, athlete.
- read more about Felipe Flores
- Chile is a fictional character from the 1961 film West Side Story.
- Chile is a fictional character from the 2008 drama film Blues.
- "Chile" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Chile" is a composition.
- "Chile" is a book by Benjamín Subercaseaux.
- also known as "Chile, a geographic extravaganza"
- "Chile" is a book by Jere R. Behrman.
- subject: Chile
- "Chile" is a book by Karol C. Service.
- "Chile" is a book by Let's Go Inc.
- "Chile" is a book by Jacques Cori.
- also known as "Chile; fotos"
There are many other writings with this title.
Chile a.k.a. The Chile national football team represents Chile in all major international football competitions and is controlled by the Federación de Fútbol de Chile which was established in 1895. The team is commonly referred to as La Roja. They have appeared in nine World Cup tournaments and were hosts of the 1962 FIFA World Cup where they finished in third place, the highest position the country has ever achieved in the World Cup. They qualified for the 2014 FIFA World Cup on 15 October 2013 with a win against Ecuador. Since the mid to late 1960s, the Elo ratings ranks Chile among the 25 strongest football teams in the world.
- also known as Chile Mens National Football Team, Chile Men's National Football Team, Chile Football Team, Chile National Soccer Team, Chile Mens Football Team, Chile Men's Football Team, Chile Men's National Soccer Team, Chile Mens National Soccer Team, Chile Soccer Team, Chile Mens Soccer Team, Chile Men's Soccer Team, La Roja
Phrases with Chile
- chile nut
- chile pine
- Chile Aster
- chile hazel
- chile bonito
- chile pepper
- Chile Tomato
- chile tarweed
- Chile Cocopalm
- capital of chile
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Chile
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Parenting Across Cultures (2013)
Childrearing, Motherhood and Fatherhood in Non-Western Cultures by Helaine Selin
Chile is a country that is fairly easy to recognize on maps because of its unique shape, location and size.
The World (1998)
by Robert Prosser
for one country, Chile. Your main task is to use these figures to decide whether Chile is a MEDC, a NIC, or a LEDC - or none of these!
Chemistry of Spices (2008)
by V. A. Parthasarathy, Bhageerathy Chempakam, T. John Zachariah
The word chile is a variation of chil derived from the Nahuatl (Aztec) dialect, which referred to plants now known as Capsicum, whereas aji is a variation of axi ... However, chile means pepper (Capsicum), whether the fruits are pungent or not.
by DIANE Publishing Company
Summary Chile is a transit country for South American cocaine smuggled to world markets. It also is a potential money laundering center ecause of its roxiinity to producer countries and the strength of its economy and banking system.
by Dwight Allan Moody, Ike Moody
Chile is the long, lean country that runs up the west coast of South America, from the artic regions of the south to the Valley of the Moon in the north. Its most distinctive geographic feature is the Andes mountain range that serves as its eastern ...
Builiding Relationships, Earning Trust, and Creating Influence Around the World: Easyread Large Edition by Catherine Lee
Chile is the longest country in the world—4,000 miles long and only 100 miles wide. The northern part is the driest place on earth. Some of the areas of the Altacama desert have not had any rainfall in recorded history. The southern part of the ...
by Jane Holiday
Chile is a land of deserts and rain forests.
New Geography (1920)
by Wallace Walter Atwood
Chile is a long, narrow country about 3000 miles from north to south. Estimate its average width. Two states of the size of California could be fitted into its been but little intermarriage with the native people. This has been a distinct advantage to ...
Elementary Geography (1902)
by Henry Justin Roddy
Chile is a long, narrow country larger than the state of Texas. The climate is arid in the north,
Planet Entrepreneur (2013)
The World Entrepreneurship Forum's Guide to Business Success Around the World by Steven D. Strauss
Start-Up Chile is a program designed by the Chilean Ministry of Economy, executed by its Development Agency (Corfo),
by U S Congress
Chile is an excellent candidate for a free trade agreement. It has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. The agreement the...
More broadly, Chile is the first Latin American ...
Choosing Survival (2013)
Creating Highly Adaptive Societies by John Kemp
Chile is an increasingly influential nation in South America.
by Salvatore Bizzarro
Chile 0226. Amunátegui y Solar, Domingo. Historia de Chile. Santiago: Editorial Nascimento ...
(Except Ornamentals) by Peter Hanelt, Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research
Saggio Chile (1782) 185 et 350, nom. cons .
An Encyclopedia of the Pacific Rim's Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and Volcanoes by Bethany D. Rinard Hinga Ph.D.
Andesite Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica Arica Earthquake and Tsunami, Chile (1868) Augustine Volcano, Alaska, ...
The family remained in New York for10years, until SenatorJoseph McCarthy's anticommunist hearings forced the organization to transfer Adolfo Dorfman to its Santiago, Chile, office. Although Dorfman livedfor manyyearsasa child and adult in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Chile
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Chile
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: xueexueg
Photo credit: amy.gizienski
Photo credit: ReflectedSerendipity
Photo credit: amy.gizienski
Photo credit: ReflectedSerendipity
- Chile - Parinacota
Photo credit: melenama
- Route 5 - Northern Chile
Route 5 in Northern Chile.
Kevin Dooley's Pan-American Trek using Google Street View.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Santiago, Chile
Photo credit: Jonas de Carvalho
- Chile Fitz Roy
Photo credit: foto11gen
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Chile
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vinyl Slang - Voodoo Chile [Hendrix cover]
- Chile Meaning
Video shows what Chile means. A country in South America. Official name: Republic of Chile.. Chile pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- The Meaning of the Earthquake in Chile; A Message from Mother Earth!
A vision has arrived to us regarding the great sorrow and pain of mother earth and the meaning of the recent Earthquake.
- Oasis en Chile - Cigarettes & Alcohol + The Meaning of Soul
Oasis en Santiago de Chile Arena Santiago 05 de Mayo de 2009.
- Oasis Chile 05-05-2009 -06- Meaning Of Soul
- OASIS EN CHILE 5 DE MAYO 2009 - THE MEANING OF SOUL
- Explanation of Geysers. San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Chile
- CHILE SWARM | Strong 5.7 EARTHQUAKE just struck 1.7.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- New MAJOR 6.4 EARTHQUAKE shake CHILE 4.2.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Strong! 5.9 EARTHQUAKE strike CHILE 1.3.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- "English as a foreign language teacher education in Chile: a CHAT perspective"
III International ISCAR Summer University for PhD students "Moving with and beyond Vygotsky" 2-8 July 2012 MSUPE, Russia -- Malba Barahona, presentation ...
- [ESL Chile] The Language Exchange
Learn and Study English in Toronto, Canada and find out what has made Hansa Language Centre the leader in language education since 1969! The Language ...
- Curso de Ingles en Inglaterra para adultos EC-English, Esl Chile
EC Language Centres en Covent Garden ofrese cursos de ingles intesivo para adultos en el extranjero y fuimos a visitarlos. ESL Chile agencia de estudios en ...
- Fulfilled / Massive 8.3 MEGA-QUAKE S AMERICA, CHILE 4.1.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Massive 6.6 EARTHQUAKE shake CHILE & ARGENTINA 8.23.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Language Schools New Zealand - Queenstown Student video testimonial - Chile
Description Schools New Zealand - Queenstown Student video testimonial - Chile Jaime.
- TESL/TEFL Certificate Program at the American Language Institute - Chile
This 140-hour certificate program prepares novice instructors to successfully live and teach English overseas. Over 100 TESL/TEFL Certificate graduates have ...
- EC Language Centres en Chile / Representantes de EC english
- Puerto Montt, Chile, ukr.language
- ChileGlobal Seminars UK: English as a Foreign Language in Chile 15.10.2014 (6)
- LILA, cursos de ingles intensivo en Inglaterra - ESL Chile
- Quest Language Studies - Testimonial (Jorge Perez from Chile)
Jorge, from Chile, talks about his experience at Quest and why Toronto is the best place to study English. # Ilovequest # Canada # onlyenglish # video ...
- [ESL Chile] Waikato University
Nau mai, haere mai! Welcome to Waikato - the forward thinking, flexible University where you can be more and do more in the world.
- [ESL Chile] Edenz
Edenz Colleges Learn English in Auckland with a quality New Zealand language school, University business courses are available, Film and TESOL.
- Curso de Ingles en Inglaterra, Churchill House ESL Chile
- Curso de ingles en inglaterra, Wimbledom School of English - ESL Chile
- ChileGlobal Seminars UK: English as a Foreign Language in Chile 15.10.2014 (2)
- [ESL Chile] International Language Academy of Canada
- Life in Chile - Tour of the Language School
For the first three weeks of your internship program in Chile with Adelante Abroad, you will take Spanish classes at this language school in Vina del Mar. Watch ...
View more videos about Santiago de Chile.
See also the pronunciation examples of Chile!
Quotes about Chile
Scrabble value of C3H4I1L1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CHILE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Chile!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Chile to see it in context!