Christian holy day
On this page:
Definition of the noun christian holy day
What does christian holy day mean as a name of something?
- a religious holiday for Christians
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- more generic terms: holy day / religious holiday = a day specified for religious observance
- more specific terms:
- quarter day = a Christian holy day
- holy day of obligation = a day when Catholics must attend Mass and refrain from servile work, and Episcopalians must take Communion
- Saint Agnes's Eve / January 20 = a Christian holy day
- Easter Sunday / Easter Day = the day (in March or April) on which the festival of Easter is celebrated
- Palm Sunday = Sunday before Easter
- Passion Sunday = second Sunday before Easter
- Good Friday = Friday before Easter
- Low Sunday = the Sunday following Easter
- Holy Saturday = the Saturday before Easter
- Holy Innocents' Day / Innocents' Day = December 28, commemorating Herod's slaughter of the children of Bethlehem
- Septuagesima Sunday / Septuagesima = the 3rd Sunday before Lent
- Quinquagesima Sunday / Quinquagesima = the Sunday before Ash Wednesday
- Quadrigesima Sunday / Quadragesima = the first Sunday in Lent
- Trinity Sunday = eighth Sunday after Easter
- Rogation Day = one of the three days before Ascension Day
- Maundy Thursday / Holy Thursday = the Thursday before Easter
- Corpus Christi = Thursday after Trinity Sunday
- Saints Peter and Paul / June 29 = first celebrated in the 3rd century
- Epiphany of Our Lord / Three Kings' Day / Twelfth day / January 6 / Epiphany = twelve days after Christmas
- Saint Joseph / St Joseph / March 19 = a Christian holy day
- Twelfth night = eve of Twelfth day
- All Souls' Day / November 2 = a day of supplication for all the souls in purgatory
- Ash Wednesday = the 7th Wednesday before Easter; the first day of Lent; the day following Mardi Gras
- Ember Day = a day set aside for fasting and prayer
- Advent Sunday = the first of the four Sundays during Advent
- Shrove Tuesday / Fat Tuesday / pancake day / Mardi Gras = the last day before Lent
- Transfiguration Day / Transfiguration / August 6 = a church festival held in commemoration of the Transfiguration of Jesus
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Christian holy day
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Notes and Queries (1898)
The Christian holy day is the first day, the only sect of Christians ...
Revised Full-Color Edition by Merrill C. Tenney
While later writers came to think of Sunday as bearing some analogy to the Hebrew Sabbath, and others called the Christian holy day a Sabbath (Eusebius, Commentary on the Ninetyfirst Psalm, quoted by J. A. Hessey, Sunday: Its Origin, ...
by Mark W. Harris
The Christian holy day that celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, has often been reinterpreted by Unitarian Universalists to make it compatible to a liberal perspective. Puritan forebears rejected the observance of Easter, ...
by Paul Fieldhouse
All Souls' Day is a Christian holy day that follows immediately Halloween and All Saints' Day. All Souls' Day is observed by the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches and by some Anglican and Protestant denominations. A special ...
by Daniel G. Reid, Robert D. Linder, Bruce Shelley, Harry S. Stout, Craig A. Noll
A Christian holy day. As the early Christians distinguished themselves from Judaism, they emphasized Sunday as the Lord's Day, the day of the resurrection. English Puritanism” insisted on a strictly observed Christian sabbath (Sunday), and ...
by Michael Flood, Judith Kegan Gardiner, Bob Pease, Keith Pringle
Passionfruit's nameisoftentakentorefer toits extraordinary powers and notitsmorepristine origin as havingbeendiscoveredon the Christian holy day, Passion Sunday.Perhaps themostinfamous and persistentaphrodisiac is socalled 'Spanish Fly', ...
End of Days (2017)
An Encyclopedia of the Apocalypse in World Religions by Wendell G. Johnson
The papacy is held responsible for moving the Christian Holy Day from Saturday to Sunday, the ...
by J. Madison Davis, Professor of Journalism Professional Writing Program J Madison Davis, Daniel A. Frankforter
Easter, Christian holy day commemorating the resurrection of Jesus. It derives from OE eastre, a spring equinox celebration in honor of Eostre, the Teutonic dawn goddess. In western Christianity, it is the first Sunday after the full moon on the ...
by J. Madison Davis
Easter, Christian holy day commemorating the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Christian holy day
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Christian holy day
If you need images about Christian holy day for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Quotes about Christian holy day
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'Christian holy day"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Christian holy day to see it in context!