On this page:
- Definition of the noun classical music
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Classical music
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Classical music
- Photos about Classical music
- Video language resources about Classical music
- Quotes about Classical music
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun classical music
What does classical music mean as a name of something?
- traditional genre of music conforming to an established form and appealing to critical interest and developed musical taste
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of classical music: classical / serious music
- more generic terms: genre / music genre / musical genre / musical style = an expressive style of music
- more specific terms:
- chamber music = serious music performed by a small group of musicians
- opera = a drama set to music
- oratorio / cantata = a musical composition for voices and orchestra based on a religious text
- concerto = a composition for orchestra and a soloist
- fugue = a musical form consisting of a theme repeated a fifth above or a fourth below its first statement
- rondeau / rondo = a musical form that is often the last movement of a sonata
- sonata = a musical composition of 3 or 4 movements of contrasting forms
Alternative definition of the noun classical music
- [music] Music of the classical period; the music of Mozart, Haydn, etc; the musical period before the romantic.
- [informal] The more serious forms of European and American music, as opposed to folk music, jazz or the many forms of popular music.
- Classical music is art music produced or rooted in the traditions of Western music. It encompasses a broad period from roughly the 11th century to the present day. The central norms of this tradition became codified between 1550 and 1900, which is known as the common practice period. The major time divisions of classical music are the early music period, which includes Medieval and Renaissance, the Common practice period, which includes the Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods, and the modern and contemporary period, which includes 20th century and contemporary.
- also known as Western art music
- subgenre of Art music
- 20th-century classical music
- Contemporary classical music
- Neoclassical metal
- Symphonic metal
- Russian classical music
- Italian classical music
- Romantic music
- Baroque music
- Chamber music
- Early music
- Chinese classical music
- Indian classical music
- Ottoman classical music
- American classical music
- Classical Crossover
- Pop music
- "Classical Music" a.k.a. "Various" is a musical single of X-Agon.
- read more about Various
- "Classical Music" is a musical single of Action Painting!.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Classical Music" is a musical album of Family Fodder.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Classical music" is a book by John Stanley.
- also known as "Classical music: the great composers and their masterworks"
- "Classical music" is a book by Philip G. Downs.
- also known as "Classical music: the era of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven"
Classical Music a.k.a. Classical Music Magazine is a trade magazine for the classical music profession. It champions those working in the UK classical music industry - notably as main media partner in the ABO/Rhinegold Awards for backstage industry figures, held for the first time in January 2012 - and has correspondents across Great Britain and in New York.
- official website: www.rhinegold.co.uk/magazines/classical_music/default.asp
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Classical music
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bertil H. Van Boer
“Classical music” has two definitions, one narrower and referring to a glorious period in musical history running from about 1730 to 1800, give or take a decade or so on each end, and the other encompassing the entire span of serious or “art” ...
by John Michael Cooper
Historical Dictionary ofModern and Contemporary Classical Music. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2012. Boer, Bertil van. Historical Dictionary ofMusic of ...
VolumeII: Performance and Production by John Shepherd
This notation's relationship to popular music differs in some important respects from its relationship to classical music. To understand how this notation and, indeed, other forms related to it function within popular music, it is necessary to ...
Volume 12: Music by Bill C. Malone
Classical Music and Opera By the 18th century, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Classical music
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Classical music
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Classical music for urban ppl
Photo credit: igo.rs
- Watching a classical music piece
Chiado, Lisbon, Portugal
Photo credit: pedrosimoes7
View more pictures about Indian classical music.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Classical music
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Classical music!
Quotes about Classical music
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Classical music to see it in context!