The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun cod:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb cod:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun cod
- Definition of the adjective cod
- Definition of the adverb cod
- Definition of the verb cod
- Other definitions of cod
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cod
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cod
- Photos about Cod
- Videos about Cod
- Sign language
- Quotes about Cod
- Scrabble value of C3O1D2
- Anagrams of COD
- Share this page
Cod is sometimes a misspelling of could.
The word cod is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cod
What does cod mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cod / cods
- the vessel that contains the seeds of a plant (not the seeds themselves)
- lean white flesh of important North Atlantic food fish; usually baked or poached
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonym of cod: codfish
- more generic term: saltwater fish = flesh of fish from the sea used as food
- more specific term: salt cod = codfish preserved in salt; must be desalted and flaked by soaking in water and pounding
- part of: Atlantic cod / Gadus morhua = one of the world's most important commercial fishes
- major food fish of Arctic and cold-temperate waters
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of cod: codfish
- more generic terms: gadoid / gadoid fish = a soft-finned fish of the family Gadidae
- more specific terms:
- codling = young codfish
- Atlantic cod / Gadus morhua = one of the world's most important commercial fishes
- Gadus macrocephalus / Pacific cod / Alaska cod = closely related to Atlantic cod
- Lota lota / eelpout / burbot / cusk / ling = elongate freshwater cod of northern Europe and Asia and North America having barbels around its mouth
- schrod / scrod = young Atlantic cod or haddock especially one split and boned for cooking
- member of: Gadus / genus Gadus = type genus of the Gadidae: the typical codfishes
- young animal: codling
- collective noun: school
- collateral adjective: gadoid / gadine
Alternative definition of the noun cod
- [obsolete] A bag.
- [obsolete] A husk or integument; a pod.
- [context: now rare] The scrotum (also in plural).
- A marine fish of the family Gadidae.
- A joke; a false imitation (now usually attributive).
Definition of the adjective cod
What does cod mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
Definition of the adverb cod
What does cod mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
Definition of the verb cod
What does cod mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: codded, codding
- fool or hoax
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of cod: befool / dupe / fool / gull / put on / put one across / put one over / slang / take in
- more generic terms: betray / deceive / lead astray = cause someone to believe an untruth
- more specific terms: pull the leg of / kid = tell false information to for fun
- harass with persistent criticism or carping
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of cod: bait / rag / rally / razz / ride / tantalise / tantalize / taunt / tease / twit
- more generic words: bemock / mock = treat with contempt
- more specific words:
Other definitions of cod
What does cod also mean?
- Cash on delivery
- Concise Oxford Dictionary
- Call of Duty
- Cod a.k.a. The Democratic Republic of the Congo, also known as DR Congo, DRC, Congo, Congo-Kinshasa, DROC, or RDC, is a country located in Central Africa. It borders the Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, and South Sudan to the north, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania to the East, Zambia and Angola to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. It is the second largest country in Africa by area and the eleventh largest in the world. With a population of over 75 million, the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the most populous officially Francophone country, the fourth most populous nation in Africa and the nineteenth most populous country in the world.
- also known as Zaire, Congo Kinshasa, Congo-Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, DR Congo, DROC, RDC
- founded on (55 years ago)
- part of Africa
- Cod a.k.a. Yellowstone Regional Airport is a public-use airport located two nautical miles southeast of the central business district of Cody, a city in Park County, Wyoming, United States. It is the only commercial airport in Park County. It is in northwestern Wyoming, about 53 miles from the east entrance of Yellowstone National Park.
There are other places with in their name, like Cape Cod, Cape Cod Bar, Cape Cod Bay, Cape Cod Canal, Cape Cod Winery, Cape Cod Hospital, Cape Cod Melody Tent, Cape Cod School of Art and The Cultural Center of Cape Cod.
- Cod is a fictional character from the 2011 film Funtimes.
- Cod is a fictional character from the 2003 film Northfork.
"Cod" is a book by George A. Rose.
- also known as "Cod: the ecological history of the North Atlantic fisheries"
- Cod a.k.a. Cocama language: Cocama is an indigenous language spoken by thousands of native people in western South America. It is spoken along the banks of the Northeastern lower Ucayali, lower Marañón, and Huallaga rivers and in neighboring areas of Brazil and an isolated area in Colombia. There are three dialects. The robust dialect is known as Cocama, Kokama, Kukama-Kukamiria, Ucayali, Xibitaoan, Huallaga, Pampadeque, and Pandequebo. By 1999, Cocamilla was moribund, being only spoken by people over 40.
- also known as Kokama, Cocama, Huallaga, Xibitaoan, Pampadeque, Ucayali, Pandequebo, Cocama-Cocamilla
- Cod is a file format.
- Cod a.k.a. small nuclear ribonucleoprotein polypeptides B and B1 is a gene.
- also known as B polypeptide of Sm protein, small nuclear ribonucleoprotein polypeptide B/B', small nuclear ribonucleoprotein polypeptides B and B', small nuclear ribonucleoprotein polypeptide B, Sm protein B/B'
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cod
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Andrew Smith
Cod is a member of the genus Gadus, of which there are three different recognized species:...
The Visual Food Encyclopedia (1996)
remove the salt from salt cod, place the cod haddock hake whiting black pollock tomcod fish in a colander skin-side up (if the fish has not been skinned) to prevent the salt from accumulating between the flesh and the skin. Submerge the ...
by Michael T. Murray, Joseph Pizzorno
Cod are saltwater fish that live best in deep, arctic-temperature water in order to grow, reproduce, and survive. It does not seem happenstance that the words “cod” and “cold” are indeed quite similar. Cod belong to the Gadidae family ...
Encyclopedia of the Arctic (2012)
by Mark Nuttall
290–309 COD Cod are fish of the genus Gadus (family Gadidae, order Gadiformes, class Osteichthyes). The genus Gadus includes from one to five species, ...
by Robert A. Ronzio
cod (Gradus morrhua; codfish) A large food fish from the North Atlantic, ...
by George Morley Story, W. J. Kirwin, John David Allison Widdowson
torn n Comb torn cod: see TOM COD. torn Conner, tommy ~ : blue perch (Tautogolabrus adspersus), a bottom-feeding fish of inshore waters, esp common around wharves and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cod
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cod
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Cod
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cod Meaning
Video shows what cod means. A small bag or pouch.. A husk or integument; a pod.. The scrotum (also in plural).. cod pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- Blue eye cod Meaning
Video shows what blue eye cod means. A fish, Hyperoglyphe antarctica, found in deep offshore waters off southern Australia.. Blue eye cod Meaning. How to ...
- Sleepy cod Meaning
Video shows what sleepy cod means. Oxyeleotris lineolatus, a medium-sized freshwater fish native to tropical regions of northern Australia.. Sleepy cod ...
- COD diet meaning and pronunciation
when you lose a lot of weight due to missing meals, because you play too much call of duty COD diet definition by Urban Dictionary.
- NHL 12: True Meaning of Determination (Dec 19 COD)
Joe gets a nice goal as he is being tripped hacked and chased by 4 players. Another video up tomorrow.
- This Is The Definition Of Hosting In COD
- CoD MW2 | Artcom vs Requine (chortas`s POV, ESL, 25.10.15)
- Trying to controll language on cod
- Mark Holland - Stage 1 - Selling Yourself - Body Language - Tone of Voice - COD
- ESL: Cod & Cord, Pronunciation & Dictation
A) Cod, god, sawed, pawed, awed, flawed, laud, Maude Cord, gourd, sword, poured, oared, floored, lord, moored B) Cod/cord, god/gourd, sawed/sword, ...
- COD Version Body Language
- Cod advanced warfare level up(description)
- COD Psy-03- Learning Language
- ESL: Cod & Card, Pronunciation & Dictation
A) Cod, god, laud, Todd, hot, dot, bought, cot, taught Card, guard, lard, tarred, heart, dart, Bart, cart, tart B) cod/card, god/guard, laud/lard, Todd/tarred, hot/heart, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Cod!
Sign Language COD
Quotes about Cod
My mother really didn't know a heck of a lot about business. She was a very good mother, that made sure we ate right and we had our cod liver oil, but didn't know a heck of a lot about what I did. (Sanford I. Weill)
more quotes about cod...
Scrabble value of C3O1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Cod!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Cod to see it in context!