The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun computer memory:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun computer memory
What does computer memory mean as a name of something?
- an electronic memory device
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of computer memory: computer storage / memory / memory board / storage / store
- more generic terms: computer hardware / hardware = the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical components making up a computer system; memory device / storage device = a device that preserves information for retrieval
- more specific terms:
- non-volatile storage / nonvolatile storage = computer storage that is not lost when the power is turned off
- read-only storage / read-only memory / fixed storage / ROM = memory whose contents can be accessed and read but cannot be changed
- real storage = the main memory in a virtual memory system
- scratchpad = a high-speed internal memory used for temporary storage of preliminary information
- virtual storage / virtual memory = memory created by using the hard disk to simulate additional random-access memory
- volatile storage = computer storage that is erased when the power is turned off
- part of: computer / computing device / computing machine / data processor / electronic computer / information processing system = a machine for performing calculations automatically
- part: register = memory device that is the part of computer memory that has a specific address and that is used to hold information of a specific kind
Computer memory: In computing, memory refers to the physical devices used to store programs or data on a temporary or permanent basis for use in a computer or other digital electronic device. The term primary memory is used for the information in physical systems which function at high-speed, as a distinction from secondary memory, which are physical devices for program and data storage which are slow to access but offer higher memory capacity. If needed, primary memory can be stored in secondary memory, through a memory management technique called "virtual memory". An archaic synonym for memory is store.
- also known as 電腦記憶體
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Computer memory
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David W. South
Constant Magnetic Field CMG Computer Measurement Group CMI Computer- Managed Instruction; Computer Memory Interconnect (DEC) CMIP Common Management Information Protocol CMIS Common Manufacturing Information System; ...
by Mrinal Talukdar
ROM is builtin computer memory containing data that normally can only be read, not written to.
by Robert A. Saigh
Personal Computer Memory Card Interface Adapter card reader Permanent swap file: Contiguous disk sectors set aside by Microsoft Windows programs for rapid storage and retrieval of program instructions or data; used in virtual memory ...
by Eddie Martin
Memory Board; Memory Card; Motherboard; Network Card; PCB; PCI; PCMCIA ; Peripheral Component Interconnect; Personal Computer Memory Card International Association; Port; Printed Circuit Board; Slot; Sound Card; Expert System A ...
CACHE: Temporary computer memory storage space that speeds RAM data access; memory cache (“cache store” or “RAM cache”) is a portion of memory made of high-speed static RAM (SRAM) rather than the slower and cheaper dynamic ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Computer memory
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Computer memory
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Computer memory to see it in context!