On this page:
- Definition of the noun connecticut
- Phrases with Connecticut
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Connecticut
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Connecticut
- Photos about Connecticut
- Videos about Connecticut
- Quotes about Connecticut
- Scrabble value of C3O1N1N1E1C3T1I1C3U1T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun connecticut
What does connecticut mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a New England state; one of the original 13 colonies
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Connecticut: Constitution State / CT / Ct. / Nutmeg State
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; New England = a region of northeastern United States comprising Maine and New Hampshire and Vermont and Massachusetts and Rhode Island and Connecticut
- Bridgeport = a port in southwestern Connecticut on Long Island Sound
- Farmington = a residential town in central Connecticut
- capital of Connecticut / Hartford = the state capital of Connecticut; located in central Connecticut on the Connecticut river
- New Haven = a city in southwestern Connecticut
- New London = a town in southeastern Connecticut near Long Island Sound
- Waterbury = a city in west central Connecticut
- Housatonic River / Housatonic = a river that rises in western Massachusetts and flows south through Connecticut to empty into Long Island Sound
- Long Island Sound = a sound between Long Island and Connecticut
- Taconic Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains along the eastern border of New York with Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont
- one of the British colonies that formed the United States
Connecticut is the southernmost state in the northeastern region of the United States known as New England. It is bordered by Rhode Island to the east, Massachusetts to the north, New York to the west, and Long Island Sound to the south. Its capital city is Hartford. The state is named after the Connecticut River, a major U.S. river that approximately bisects the state. The word is derived from various anglicized spellings of an Algonquian word for "long tidal river.
- also known as Constitution State, Nutmeg State, CT, conn, CN
- founded on (227 years ago)
- country: United States of America
- capital: Hartford
- read more about Connecticut (state)
"Connecticut" is a composition.
Phrases with Connecticut
- Connecticut warbler
- Connecticut Hawthorn
- Connecticut Blackberry
- Connecticut Beggarticks
- Connecticut Beggar-Ticks
- capital of connecticut
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Connecticut
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Casinos Coast to Coast (1998)
A Guide to the Best Hotels, Foods, Comps, Gambling and Entertainment Across the Country by Frank Deangelo
Connecticut is a lush green state with beautiful, hilly terrain spotted with white oak trees. Dairy products and poultry are the mainstays of the agricultural industry. Nuclear submarines, airplanes, and helicopters represent heavy industry.
by Eric D. Lehman
Connecticut is a doorway to the truth. Here you can walk through some of the oldest buildings in America, and feel moss on the stone walls of colonial farmers. You can taste a fried oyster in a seaside restaurant or the first sip of this year's ...
Progress, Challenges, and Opportunities by Peter Greenwood
Connecticut is the third smallest state in terms of area, encompassing only 5,500 square miles or 0.15% of the total US land mass. Its small size makes commuting to the state capital (Hartford) possible from any part of the state. Relatively ...
Connecticut Colony (2010)
by Bob Italia
Connecticut ratified the US ConstitutionConstitutionConstitutionConstitutionConstitution on January It became the fifth state Today Connecticut is the third smallest state in America But it is one of America's leading producers of helicopters jet ...
by Christian, Editor Campbell
Norman J Fleming Wiggin & Dana New Haven, Connecticut, United States Introduction Connecticut is a small Northeastern state (13,000 square kilometers) located between New York City and Boston. It is widely acknowledged to have one of ...
North America (2008)
by Anthony Trollope
Connecticut is a very proud little State, and has a pleasant legend of its own stanehness in ...
Connecticut Encyclopedia (2008)
by Jennifer Herman
POINTS OF INTEREST • Dinosaur State Park/Arboretum • Liberty Bell Museum ROXBURY Town; Litchfield County; Zip Code 06783; Elevation 557; Northwest Connecticut, on the Shepaug ...
by Lorrie Owens
Connecticut Historic Windham County.
Wyoming Arkansas,Colorado, Delaware,Illinois, Kentucky,Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Virginia Louisiana,Minnesota, New Jersey,New California,Washington Mexico, Tennessee, Wisconsin Connecticut,Mississippi, ...
by Marian Rengel
executive director of the Planned Parenthood League of Connecticut, and Cornelia Jahncke, president, celebrate the 1965 Supreme Court ruling. Bettmann/CORBIS India: Contraceptive Use: Guttmacher, Alan F. - an ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Connecticut
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Connecticut
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Connecticut River.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Connecticut
Click on an item to play that video:
- Connecticut Dialect Quiz
Answer the questions to test your familiarity with Connecticut area speech.
- CONNECTICUT ACCENT (Regional Dialect Meme)
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting Image ...
- The Fundament Orders of Connecticut Explanation
This video describes The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut.
- Connecticut Meaning
Video shows what Connecticut means. A Capital: Hartford.. A river in the New England region. Connecticut Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Regional Dialect Challenge (Southern Connecticut)
Regional Dialect Challenge Words: Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, ...
- Dialect - Connecticut / New England
Excuse the lag between the sound and the video.
- Jews Uncut #2 Regional Dialect (Toronto and Connecticut)
You won't find #1 because it got cut by youtube. Record yourself saying the following words and answering the following questions. Lets hear what the rest of the ...
- CT ESL Center: How to Spell Connecticut
- BODY LANGUAGE :: FREE 2 BE FEST 2009 - New Haven, Connecticut - August 29th, 2009
See also the pronunciation examples of Connecticut!
Quotes about Connecticut
Scrabble value of C3O1N1N1E1C3T1I1C3U1T1
The value of this 11-letter word is 17 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Connecticut to see it in context!