Content appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Set one wet net no cat set, as it is a test a content ewe notes.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun content:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun content
- Definition of the adjective content
- Definition of the verb content
- Phrases with Content
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Content
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Content
- Photos about Content
- Videos about Content
- Sign language
- Quotes about Content
- Scrabble value of C3O1N1T1E1N1T1
- Anagrams of CONTENT
- Share this page
Content is sometimes a misspelling of continent.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun content
What does content mean as a name of something?
Content is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: contents
- (usually plural) everything that is included in a collection and that is held or included in something
- examples: he emptied the contents of his pockets | the two groups were similar in content
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of content: contents
- more generic words: accumulation / aggregation / assemblage / collection = several things grouped together or considered as a whole
- what a communication that is about something is about
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of content: message / subject matter / substance
- more generic word: communication = something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
- more specific terms:
- body = the central message of a communication
- corker = a remarkable or excellent thing or person
- reminder = a message that helps you remember something
- postulation / petition / request = a formal message requesting something that is submitted to an authority
- memorial = a written statement of facts submitted in conjunction with a petition to an authority
- latent content = hidden meaning of a fantasy or dream
- subject / theme / topic = the subject matter of a conversation or discussion
- parenthesis / digression / divagation / excursus / aside = a message that departs from the main subject
- signification / significance / meaning / import = the message that is intended or expressed or signified
- meaninglessness / nonsensicality / nonsense / hokum / bunk = a message that seems to convey no meaning
- garbage / drivel = a worthless message
- acknowledgement / acknowledgment = a statement acknowledging something or someone
- refusal = a message refusing to accept something that is offered
- information / info = a message received and understood
- counselling / counseling / direction / guidance / counsel = something that provides direction or advice as to a decision or course of action
- commitment / dedication = a message that makes a pledge
- commendation / approval = a message expressing a favorable opinion
- disapproval = the expression of disapproval
- respects = a formal expression of esteem
- discourtesy / disrespect = an expression of lack of respect
- interpolation / insertion = a message (spoken or written) that is introduced or inserted
- statement = a message that is stated or declared
- statement = a nonverbal message
- witticism / wittiness / humour / humor / wit = a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
- opinion / view = a message expressing a belief about something
- instruction / direction = a message describing how something is to be done
- proposal = something proposed
- offering / offer = something offered
- submission / entry = something (manuscripts or architectural plans and models or estimates or works of art of all genres etc.) submitted for the judgment of others
- narration / narrative / story / tale = a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events
- promotional material / packaging / promotion / publicity / promo = a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea or person or institution
- sensationalism = subject matter that is calculated to excite and please vulgar tastes
- shocker = a sensational message
- the proportion of a substance that is contained in a mixture or alloy etc.
- the amount that can be contained
- the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of content: cognitive content / mental object
- more generic words: cognition / knowledge / noesis = the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning
- more specific terms:
- tradition = an inherited pattern of thought or action
- object = the focus of cognitions or feelings
- intellectual nourishment / food for thought / food = anything that provides mental stimulus for thinking
- thing-in-itself / noumenon = the intellectual conception of a thing as it is in itself, not as it is known through perception
- universe of discourse / universe = everything stated or assumed in a given discussion
- subject / matter / issue / topic = some situation or event that is thought about
- issue = an important question that is in dispute and must be settled
- thought / idea = the content of cognition
- heart and soul / nitty-gritty / inwardness / substance / essence / center / centre / kernel / marrow / heart / core / gist / meat / pith / nub / sum = the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
- wisdom = accumulated knowledge or erudition or enlightenment
- internal representation / mental representation / representation = a presentation to the mind in the form of an idea or image
- belief = any cognitive content held as true
- kenosis = the concept of emptying one's own will and receive God's will, in Catholicism
- disbelief / unbelief = a rejection of belief
- unorthodoxy / heresy = a belief that rejects the orthodox tenets of a religion
- goal / end = the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it
- education = knowledge acquired by learning and instruction
- experience = the content of direct observation or participation in an event
- acculturation / culture = all the knowledge and values shared by a society
- traditional knowledge / lore = knowledge gained through tradition or anecdote
- ignorance = the lack of knowledge or education
- knowledge domain / knowledge base / domain = the content of a particular field of knowledge
- metaknowledge = knowledge about knowledge
- the state of being contented with your situation in life
- something (a person or object or scene) selected by an artist or photographer for graphic representation
Alternative definition of the noun content
- [uncountable] That which is contained.
- Subject matter; substance.
- The amount of material contained.
- [mathematics] The n-dimensional space contained by an n-dimensional polytope (called volume in the case of a polyhedron and area in the case of a polygon).
- See contents.
- Satisfaction; contentment
Definition of the adjective content
What does content mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more content / most content
- satisfied or showing satisfaction with things as they are
Alternative definition of the adjective content
Definition of the verb content
What does content mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: contented | contenting | contents
- satisfy in a limited way
- make content
- examples: I am contented | The good news will content her
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Cause] [Verb] The clown amused [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown amused the children [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] [Adjective] That movie bored me silly [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] with [Oblique] The clown amused the children with his antics [Cause, genitive]'s [Oblique] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown's antics amused the children [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Adverb] Little children amuse easily
Verbs of Psychological State (with the same syntax): abash, affect, afflict, affront, aggravate, aggrieve, agitate, agonize, alarm, alienate, amaze, amuse, anger, annoy, antagonize, appall, appease, arouse, assuage, astonish, astound, awe, baffle, befuddle, beguile, bewilder, bewitch, boggle, bore, bother, bug, calm, captivate, chagrin, charm, cheer, chill, comfort, concern, confound, confuse, console, convince, cow, crush, cut, daunt, daze, dazzle, deject, delight, demolish, demoralize, depress, devastate, disappoint, disarm, discombobulate, discomfit, discompose, disconcert, discourage, disgrace, disgruntle, disgust, dishearten, disillusion, dismay, dispirit, displease, disquiet, dissatisfy, distract, distress, disturb, divert, dumbfound, elate, electrify, embarrass, embolden, enchant, encourage, enervate, engage, engross, enlighten, enliven, enrage, enrapture, entertain, enthrall, enthuse, entice, entrance, exasperate, excite, exhaust, exhilarate, fascinate, fatigue, faze, flabbergast, flatter, floor, fluster, frighten, frustrate, gall, galvanize, gladden, gratify, grieve, harass, harm, haunt, hearten, horrify, humble, humiliate, hurt, hypnotize, impair, impress, incense, inflame, infuriate, inspire, insult, interest, intimidate, intoxicate, intrigue, invigorate, irk, irritate, jade, jar, jollify, jolt, lull, madden, menace, mesmerize, miff, molest, mollify, mortify, move, muddle, mystify, nauseate, nettle, numb, obsess, occupy, offend, outrage, overawe, overwhelm, pacify, pain, peeve, perplex, perturb, pester, pique, placate, plague, please, preoccupy, provoke, puzzle, quench, rankle, ravish, reassure, recharge, refresh, rejuvenate, relax, relieve, repel, repulse, revitalize, revolt, rile, roil, ruffle, sadden, satiate, satisfy, scandalize, scare, shake, shame, shock, sicken, sober, solace, soothe, spellbind, spook, stagger, startle, stimulate, sting, stir, strike, stump, stun, stupefy, surprise, tantalize, taunt, tease, tempt, terrify, terrorize, threaten, thrill, throw, tickle, tire, titillate, torment, torture, touch, transfix, transport, trouble, try, unnerve, unsettle, uplift, upset, vex, weary, worry, wound, wow.
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- antonym: discontent
- more generic words: gratify / satisfy = make happy or satisfied
Alternative definition of the verb content
- [transitive] To give contentment or satisfaction; to satisfy; to gratify; to appease.
- Content, also known as the Bowling House, is a historic home located in Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, across the street from the county courthouse. The home is a 2 ¹⁄₂-story, two-part frame structure built in three stages. The first section, built in 1787, consisted of the present main block, with a stair hall and porch were added ca. 1800. A north wing was added before 1844. Content is one of the oldest buildings remaining in the county seat of Upper Marlboro, along with Kingston and the Buck House. Content has always been owned by prominent families in the civic, economic, and social affairs of town, county, and state including the Magruder, Beanes, and Lee families; and the Bowling family of the 20th century.
- Content, also known as C.C. Harper Farm, is a historic home located at Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland, United States. It is of brick construction, two stories high, five bays wide and one room deep, with a single flush brick chimney. The house was constructed about 1787. Also on the property are a small Flemish bond brick dairy and a meathouse.
- "Content" is the seventh full-length studio album by UK band Gang of Four, released January 24, 2011 on Grönland Records in Europe and the following day on Yep Roc Records in the US.
- also known as Content - Deluxe Can
- genre: Post-punk
- released on
- "Content" is a musical album of Philipp Quehenberger.
- released in
- "Content" is a composition.
- music by Gary Newby
"Content" is a book by Cory Doctorow.
- also known as "Content: selected essays on technology, creativity, copyright, and the future of the future"
"Content" is a 2010 documentary film directed and written by Chris Petit.
- countries: United States of America, United Kingdom
- written by Ian Penman & Chris Petit
- cinematography by Chris Petit
- edited by Emma Matthews
- music by AGF
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (5 years ago)
- Content: The Broadcast Content that is being broadcast.
- Content: Broadcast Content with this advisory.
- content: Information content within the Information Object. For example, text, still and moving images, audio, and other intellectual productions. Examples: duration, character count.
Phrases with Content
Phrases starting with the word Content:
- Content Key
- Content farm
- content word
- Content filtering
- Content Wrangling
- Content repository
- Content management system
Phrases ending with the word Content:
- Web content
- heat content
- Open Content
- Adult Content
- latent content
- cognitive content
- Hausdorff Content
- To One's Heart's Content
Other phrases containing the word Content:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Content
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
How to Count It All Joy (2012)
When Faced with Insurmountable Circumstances! by Bernita Scott Weston
The word content means to be satisfied. Synonyms are: contended, gratified, happy, pleased and satisfied. Let's review some supporting S criptures: Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have.
Test Your EQ (2009)
Assess Your Emotional Intelligence with 22 Personality Questionnaires by Philip Carter
Being content also means having the flexibility to realize that we sometimes have to modify our beliefs and the way we do things, and to set new goals. In keeping with many of the tests in this book a degree of self- analysis is recommended, ...
Improve Your EQ and Learn How to Impress Potential Employers by Philip Carter
Being content also means having the flexibility to realize that we sometimes have to modify our beliefs and the way we do things, and to set new goals. In keeping with many of the tests in this book a degree of selfanalysis is recommended, ...
Seeking Justice (2015)
by Jordan Douglas
Being content means trusting in God. Being upset does not help, usually makes it worse. Trusting in god elevates our stress. Be dependent on God for everything. Psalm 5:12 and Ephesians 2:8, 'by grace are ye saved through faith'.
Living Beyond the World System by Happy Caldwell
” Being content means letting your conversation ( general behavior) be without covetousness. Don't get troubled, anxious, and nervous trying to be something you are 52 HOW TO THRIVE IN PERILOUS TIMES.
Amazing Yoga! (2010)
A Practical Guide to Building Strength, Wellness, and Spirit by Sean Conley, Karen Conley
Being content means you are happy and comfortable in your own skin. As we all know, it is almost impossible to keep our minds out of the past and peeking towards the future. But when we focus our thoughts on what could happen, we spend ...
by Michael Proudfoot, A.R. Lacey
Content . A term whose use has altered between its appearanceinthe nineteenth century and its presentday uses. Propositional attitudes(attitudes which involve propositions, like belief, desire, fear, doubt, thought, imagination, surmise) have ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
Content and Language Integrated Learning, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Dalton-Puffer, C., Nikula, T. and Smit, U. (2010) Language Use and Language Learning in CLIL Classrooms, ...
The Encyclopedia of Wood (2007)
by U S Dept of Agriculture
The average moisture content should have upper and lower tolerance limits, and all values should fall within these limits. Kiln-dried softwood dimension lumber generally has an average moisture content of 19% or less; the average moisture ...
by Kate Shoup Welsh, Kate J. Chase
After you set your supervisor password, Content Advisor is enabled with the default settings in place. These default settings apply maximum restrictions, blocking all content that does not meet or exceed the most conservative ratings criteria as ...
The Encyclopedia of Money (2009)
by Larry Allen
William Lowndes, secretary to the treasury, proposed recoinage at a lower silver content for a given face value, bringing the silver content of freshly minted coins into line with the silver content of worn, clipped coins. Wear and clipping had on ...
by Kirsten Malmkjaer
Content and expression must be analysed separately, but with constant regard to the interplay between them; namely, the function between sign expression and sign content. Replacement of one sign expression, e.g., ram, by another, e.g., ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
kindness, сэтгэлийн агуугаарoutofthe kindness of one's heart АГУУЛАГДАХУУH contents АГУУЛАЛТ content (n.) АГУУЛАМЖ content (n.) ...
by Peter Auger
content Whatever is contained in a work; the meaning communicated. Content is commonly contrasted with STYLE and FORM: the distinction is between what and how meaning is expressed. It is widely recognised that content and ...
by David Levinson
But it is the content of films themselves that raised the battle cry of reform during the twentieth century. In 1922 the advent of talking motion pictures resulted in a quasi-governmental entity called the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Content
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Content
Click on an item to view that photo:
Sleepy, sunny, snoozing, lazy afternoon....
Photo credit: Homini:)
Jimmy Dean settled in next to a visiting Friend, Payton. Jimmy Dean just likes to sit with people.
Photo credit: Tobyotter
Photo credit: @wewon31
A little sun, a little neck scratching and Frank is content with life.
Photo credit: Tobyotter
Photo credit: ^Joe
Photo credit: photosavvy
Photo credit: sergio_leenen
- Content Curation
Photo credit: *[email protected]*
- Plotting the Content Marketing Ensemble
An evolving overview of content channels and formats
Photo credit: Altimeter, a Prophet Company
- Nonprofit Communications - Content Strategy
Nonprofit Communications with and without a Content Strategy -- in other words, why you need one.
Photo credit: kivilm
- Content Curators in Practice
Photo credit: cambodia4kidsorg
- How Companies Organize for Content Marketing
Altimeter Group has identified the following enterprise models for governing the orchestration of content within organizations to ensure that content is created in harmony.
Photo credit: Altimeter, a Prophet Company
- Content Advisory
Photo credit: wburris
- Content writer
content writer posed as a homeless person
Please feel free to use this image under the creative commons license with attribution to howtostartablogonline.net/content-writer-photo
Photo credit: itsmeritesh
- Content Berlin
Photo credit: *mb**
- Joe Pulizzi - Content Marketing World
This needs a caption!
Photo credit: TopRankMarketing
- Joe Pulizzi at Content Marketing World
Photo credit: TopRankMarketing
- Content Marketing Explosion
Photo credit: Krzysztof Urbanowicz
- Content Creation Guide infografika
Photo credit: Krzysztof Urbanowicz
- Content Marketing Landscape - infografika
Photo credit: Krzysztof Urbanowicz
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Content
Click on an item to play that video:
- Content Meaning
Video shows what content means. That which is contained.. Subject matter; substance.. The amount of material contained; contents.. content pronunciation.
- Noam Chomsky - Meaning/Content/Reference
- 2-3 Informative/Explanatory Content Vocabulary Diagrams
In this video, Nancy Fetzer is referring to her Writing Curriculum Manual. All of her videos are aligned to her manuals. Go to...
- Water content Meaning
Video shows what water content means. The amount of water contained in a material, such as soil, rock or wood.. Water content Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- World History Content Vocabulary
Take notes on these vocab words to know! Make sure you listen to the explanations--don't just copy the words on screen.
- Senators not content with official explanation regarding "laglag-bala" scheme
Several senators express discontent regarding the explanation of the officials of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport regarding the "laglag-bala" scheme, ...
- The Meaning Behind The Pipe *Warning: Religious Content*
- Channel Update: Explanation of Twitch GW2 beta content
- Week 11 : Portfolio Content Explanation
- Henry Jenkins on How Content Gains Meaning and Value in a Networked Culture
About the Speech: "Content is King" but what constitutes content has shifted considerably in the last decade. This far-reaching talk offered a snapshot of a ...
- Content Amplification: Definition, Tips & Examples
SVP of Digital Content Heidi Sullivan discusses content amplification: from its definition to how it relates to native advertising and how it can help you reach a ...
- Channel Update - New Series, Lack Of Content Explanation
Channel update video giving an explanation of the reasons behind the lack of content over the past week and the new content that is coming as a result of it!
- A brief explanation of Content Strategy
In under 2 minutes - a brief explanation of Content Strategy.
- Content Marketing: The Definition and Value
- Content Vocabulary for Kindergarten English Language Learners 2
content vocabulary for kindergarten English Language Learners.
- Content Vocabulary Words for Kindergarten English Language Learners
Soup, frog, swing, tie, children, car, slide and more!
- Content Vocabulary
- A Presentation: Using the Content Curation Definition for Thought Leadership
- Oral Language Practice- Content Vocabulary
- Content Marketing - A Definition 2015
- Content and Language Integrated Learning - Incredible Teaching Tip
Sarah Phillips, author of Incredible English and an expert in CLIL and brain-based learning, presents an Incredible Teaching Tip on Content and Language ...
- VIU. CLIL. Content and Language Integrated Learning
'CLIL refers to situations where subjects, or parts of subjects, are taught through a foreign language with dual-focussed aims, namely the learning of content, and ...
- Premium Content Description
4MIN News July 26, 2013...
- Content Cognitive Dictionary Lesson
- Content and Language Objectives
Learning about how to post student-friendly objectives-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Literacy in Primary CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning)
Chapter 1 - Literacy in primary CLIL - Supporting teachers in primary CLIL contexts: overview 0:00 Chapter 2 - What does literacy mean 1:37 Chapter 3 - How ...
- Introduction to Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
Video from series: Every learner a language learner, every teacher a language teacher. Presented by John Clegg, an expert in Content and Language ...
- Content Language Integrated Learning (CLIL): SKOLA Workshop Session 3
Content Language Integrated Learning (CLIL): SKOLA Workshop Session 3.
- Garudzhep 2013 Part 2 Academic & Content Description of New Products
Garudzhep 2013 Part 2 Academic & Content Description of New Products By Mr. Amit Ranade.
- Add content language YouTube
View more videos about Cognitive Content.
See also the pronunciation examples of Content!
Life Coach for the Deaf, American Sign Language Content
Quotes about Content
Scrabble value of C3O1N1T1E1N1T1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CONTENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Content!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Content to see it in context!