On this page:
- Definition of the noun countdown
- Definition of the verb countdown
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Countdown
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Countdown
- Photos about Countdown
- Video language resources about Countdown
- Quotes about Countdown
- Scrabble value of C3O1U1N1T1D2O1W4N1
- Anagrams of COUNTDOWN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun countdown
What does countdown mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: countdowns
- counting backward from an arbitrary number to indicate the time remaining before some event (such as launching a space vehicle)
- examples: Take it seriously! The school festival won't wait for us. We're already in the final countdown. | Stop the countdown. | The countdown has started.
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: count / counting / enumeration / numeration / reckoning / tally = the act of counting
Alternative definition of the noun countdown
- A count backward in fixed units to the time of some event, especially the launch of a space vehicle
- The acts of preparation carried out during this period
- [slang] A radio or television program counting down the top songs of a given week, usually in reverse order ending with the No. 1.
Definition of the verb countdown
What does countdown mean as a doing word?
- [nonstandard] To count down
- "Countdown" is a Russian action movie directed by Yevgeny Lavrentyev with a $7 million budget, which was huge for Russia of that time, and released in Moscow in December 2004.
- also known as Lichnyy nomer
- country: Russia
- languages: Russian Language, English Language
- producers: Sergei Gribkov, Yuriy Sagaydak, Vladimir Trushchenkov & Ruslan Vitryanyuk
- executive producer: Igor Bondarenko
- production design by Vladimir Trapeznikov
- art direction by Vladimir Trapeznikov & Roberto Caruso
- written by Yuriy Sagaydak, Yevgeny Lavrentyev, Ramil Yamaleyev
- John Amos as Admiral Melory
- Louise Lombard as Catherine Stone
- Svetlana Kopylova as School Teacher
- Alexei Makarov as Maj. Aleksei Smolin
- Vyacheslav Razbegaev as Umar Tamiev
- Egor Pazenko as Saulyus Boykis
- Yuri Tsurilo as Gen. Sergei Karpov
- Viktor Verzhbitsky as Lev Pokrovskiy
- Ramil Sabitov as Khasan
- Mariya Golubkina as Tatyana
- Orso Maria Guerrini as Italian Prime Minister
- Maria Semkina as Masha
- cinematography by Stasch Radwanski Jr. & Dmitriy Shlykov
- edited by Dmitri Slobtsov & Aleksandr Khachko
- music by Sergei Shnurov
- costume design by Natalya Naftalieva
- genres: Action Film, Adventure Film, Crime Fiction, Thriller
- rating: 12+ (RU)
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Countdown" is a 1968 film directed by Robert Altman, based on the novel The Pilgrim Project by Hank Searls. It stars James Caan and Robert Duvall as astronauts vying to be the first American to walk on the Moon as part of a crash program to beat the Soviet Union.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Jimmy Lydon & William Conrad
- executive producer: William Conrad
- art direction by Jack Poplin
- written by Loring Mandel
- based on "The Pilgrim Project" by Hank Searls
- cinematography by William W. Spencer
- edited by Gene Milford
- music by Leonard Rosenman
- set decoration by Ralph S. Hurst
- genres: Thriller, Science Fiction, Adventure Film
- subjects: Moon landing, Exploration of the Moon
- released in (47 years ago)
- "Countdown" is a 1996 crime mystery and thriller film written and directed by Keoni Waxman.
- also known as Serial Bomber
- countries: United States of America, Japan
- language: English Language
- genres: Buddy film, Action Thriller, Crime Fiction, Mystery
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (18 years ago)
- award: - Japan Academy Award for Newcomer of the Year, received by Yūki Amami
- "Countdown" is a 2011 caper film that takes the audience on an entertaining journey through the underbelly of South Korea. Starring two of the country's top actors Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Jae-young, this highly assured debut feature by Huh Jong-ho premiered at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.
- also known as Kawoonteudawoon, Ka-woon-teu-da-woon, 카운트다운
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- producer: Oh Jeong-wan
- production design by Yang Hong-sam
- written by Huh Jong-ho
- Jung Jae-young as Tae Geon-ho
- Jeon Do-yeon as Cha Ha-yeon
- Ji-wung Wi
- Yun-beom Bae
- Dae-byeong Jeon as Kang Jang-je
- Lee Gyeung-young as Jo Myeong-seok
- Oh Man-seok as Swy
- Kim Dong-wook as Myodesopsia
- Min as Cha Ha-yeon's daughter
- Jung Man-sik as Jo Myung-Suk's right-hand man
- Kwang-rok Oh as Doctor
- Song Hye-kyo as pretty girl
- cinematography by Kim Tae-kyung
- edited by Shin Min-Kyung
- music by Jang Young-gyu
- genres: Action Film, Thriller, Adventure Film, East Asian cinema, World cinema
- rating: 14A (Canada)
- released on
- "Countdown" is a 2012 horror film written and directed by Nattawut Poonpiriya.
- country: Thailand
- languages: Thai Language, English Language
- producers: Chenchonnee Soonthornsaratul, Yongyoot Thongkongtoon, Vanridee Pongsittisak, Suvimon Techasupinun, Pran Tadaveerawat
- executive producers: Paiboon Damrongchaitham, Saithip Montrikul Na Ayudhaya, Jina Osothsilp & Visute Poolvoralaks
- written by Nattawut Poonpiriya
- cinematography by Niramon Ross
- edited by Panayu Khunwallee
- music by Vichaya Vatanasapt
- genres: Thriller, Horror
- released on
- official website: www.countdownthemovie.com
- "Countdown" a.k.a. "Moscow Mission" is a Russian action movie directed by Vadim Smelyov. The movie was released in Moscow in 2006.
- read more about Moscow Mission
- "Countdown" is a 2011 animated short film written and directed by Celine Desrumaux.
- "Countdown" is a 2004 documentary film written and directed by Audrius Stonys.
- "Countdown" is a short film, directed by Kevin Glynn.
- country: Republic of Ireland
- released in
- "Countdown" is a 2005 short film directed by Xochitl Gonzalez.
- "Countdown" is a 1990 film directed by Ulrike Ottinger.
- country: Germany
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (25 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Countdown
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Teach Like a Champion 2.0 (2014)
62 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College by Doug Lemov
” Using Countdowns Effectively A countdown is a statement of a.
Believing in a Media Culture (2000)
by Gretchen Hailer
Top Music Countdown is a quarterly resource produced by Cornerstone Media. Its one-of-a-kind poster gives the twenty-five top songs within a three-month period and critiques each in relation to Christian values. The material also gives ideas ...
To Cut a Long Story Short (2013)
by Jeffrey Archer
” —C0sm0p0litan “The countdown is the thing:...
Amitav Ghosh (2003)
A Critical Study by Shubha Tiwari
Countdown is a deeply psychologically revealing analysis of the attitudes that lead to extreme animosity, abhorrence and suspicion between these two neighbouring countries. The politicians want to avert every future crisis by building an ...
If It Was Not For Terrorism (2011)
Crisis, Compromise, and Elite Discourse in the Age of “War on Terror” by Banu Baybars Hawks, Lami Baruh
The countdown is a rhetoric of submission to the authority of ...
A Cinema of Loneliness (2011)
by Robert Kolker
Countdown is a studio film and gives no idea of what Altman was to do, though it does offer an example of the early work of two major seventies' actors, James Caan and Robert Duvall. The film would hardly be worth mentioning were it not an ...
Ulrike Ottinger (2008)
The Autobiography of Art Cinema by Laurence A. Rickels
Countdown is the document of the ten days leading to unification of the two German currencies. The American or global term countdown was first introduced in the 1950s in the United States. A 1969 American film about the space race already ...
DC Countdown Cover to DC Countdown. Art by Jim Lee and Alex Ross. Publication information Publisher DC Comics Format One-shot Genre Superhero Publication date May 2005 Number of issues 1 Creative team Writer(s) Geoff Johns ...
Encyclopedia of Space (2009)
by Heather Couper, Nigel Henbest
COUNTDOWN THE FINAL PART OP EVERY LAUNCH CAMPAIGN begins when all the separate components arrive at the launch center to be assembled into the launch vehicle. The launch campaign for Ariane 5, for example, begins 21 days ...
by Stoppani, Jim
Countdown. Cycle. Although all the basic strength training programs have some form of gradual progression wherethe reps performedat each workout decrease overtime, thecountdown cycle uses acorresponding system that matches sets, ...
by Christopher H. Sterling, Cary O'Dell
isthelongestrunningnational music countdown broadcast on American radio during the rock era. In its 30 year history, the show has undergone a series of personnel and ownership changes.
by Christopher H. Sterling
is the longest running national music countdown broadcaston American radio during the rockera.In its 30year history, the show has undergoneaseries ofpersonnel andownership changes. ThefirstAT40 show aired ...
Volume 18 - Supplement 3: Computers in SPateflight: The NASA Experience by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
A projected fleet of three orbiters would be limited to a maximum 2-week turnaround between flights and a 2- hour countdown in order to achieve that many firings39. Compared to the 5-month checkout of a Saturn V and its 3-day countdowns, ...
by Immanuel Ness
Countdown. in. Tennessee. The fight in Tennessee began on June 19, when Tennessean Sue Shelton White, a close colleague of Alice Paul, sent Governor Albert H. Roberts, a Democrat, a letter requesting a special session of the legislature.
by Eric W. Weisstein
edu/~hales/ countdown/. Hales, T. C. "An Overview of the Kepler Conjecture." http:// www. math.lsa.umich.edu/~hales/countdown/sphere0.ps. Hales, T. C. "Recent Progress on the ...
by William Safire
countdown Period of crisis before a decision or event; the last few days before an election. The word was popularized as the nation watched televised rocket blast-offs from ...
by Paul Dickson
countdown naut used the word while in outer space and millions of people heard it on TV and radio. Copacetic was widely reported in newspapers and magazines and was so commonly used thereafter that it made it into the 1982 edition of ...
by Moshe Moshkovitz
countdown A count backward to the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Countdown
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Countdown
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: John Charalambous
110m men's hurdle
Photo credit: bleublogger
1000 rockets on the pad, preparing to break a world record!
Photo credit: Klobetime
A crop from previous photo
Photo credit: Bahadorjn
Photo credit: Andrew Gustar
Photo credit: tpjournal
House numbers in South Kensington.
Photo credit: garryknight
The countdown timer at the London Marathon store on Long Acre
Photo credit: nedrichards
311210 - Zojoji Temple @ Minato-ku on NYE, Tokyo
Photo credit: Raelene G
Photo credit: MrStyXman
Start of the Grand Cycling Classic Race in Grand Rapids, MI on 8/20/11. USA Cycling National Championships.
Photo credit: music2fish2 (eric lanning)
At Kennedy Space Center before the launch of STS-125 Space Shuttle Atlantis
Photo credit: Matthew Simantov
50 seconds to go!
Photo credit: vagueonthehow
Photo credit: Lauren(elle)n
Photo credit: Kathleen Zarubin
Photo credit: eclecctica
Photo credit: ssoosay
Photo credit: robertivanc
- Olympics Countdown
Inside Central MTR Station, Hong Kong.
Photo credit: goosmurf
Photo credit: Briskiii
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Countdown
Click on an item to play that video:
- Papal Conclave Countdown: Discovering the Meaning of Miracles
David Wright on Vatican lore and the importance of miracles.
- Culture Beat No Deeper Meaning Live At Countdown
- Grow Your Smart Vocabulary Countdown - Word #4 - BALK
- Countdown Meaning
Video shows what countdown means. A count backward in fixed units to the time of some event, especially the launch of a space vehicle. The acts of preparation ...
- The True Meaning of BOXING DAY (365 backflip countdown: 5 days to go)
Answer the age old question: What is boxing day anyways? Thought this would be fun for today's countdown vlog! 5 days to go everyone!
- Countdown, explanation.
- Snare Drum - Countdown Explanation
Full stroke countdown exercise explained.
- Major Definition - S.L.A.M. Countdown 11.4.11
Major Definition performing at S.L.A.M's 4th Annual Hip Hop Showcase: Countdown 11.4.11 in Johns Hopkins University.
- Cure your panic attack countdown to calm track 4 explanation
- By Definition - After the show at Vivocity Countdown 2008
- Snare Drum - Countdown Even Explanation
- Countdown Widget Explanation, CMNTY Platform
- The Real Meaning Of The Matchmaking Countdown
- Snare Drum - Countdown Odd Explanation
- THE 12 DAYS OF VIDEOS! COUNTDOWN DAY 5: The New Definition of Christmas
- Snare Drum - Countdown Fill In Explanation
- Explanation for January 20th Countdown Clock
- MINEBLAST COUNTDOWN! - Check Description!
- Countdown: O'Reilly Body Language Review 5-15-08
Keith has a "Body Language Expert" Review Bill O's meldown at Inside Edition.
- Rachel Dennis body language countdown 2015
- Description of countdown clock to Hong Kong sovereignty
- Rachel & Jeff Beat Dictionary Corner On Countdown 18May29010
Rachel Riley and Jeff Stelling beat dictionary corner with a longer word and they deservedly both look rather proud of themselves.
- THE 12 DAYS OF VIDEOS! COUNTDOWN DAY 10: Urban Dictionary Christmas Challenge
- A countdown of some description.
See also the pronunciation examples of Countdown!
Quotes about Countdown
Scrabble value of C3O1U1N1T1D2O1W4N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 15 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COUNTDOWN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
- CUT DOWN ON
See also the blanagrams of Countdown!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Countdown to see it in context!