The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun crib:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun crib
- Definition of the verb crib
- Phrases with Crib
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crib
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crib
- Photos about Crib
- Video language resources about Crib
- Quotes about Crib
- Scrabble value of C3R1I1B3
- Anagrams of CRIB
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun crib
What does crib mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cribs
- baby bed with high sides made of slats
- a literal translation used in studying a foreign language (often used illicitly)
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of crib: pony / trot
- more generic terms: interlingual rendition / rendering / translation / version = a written communication in a second language having the same meaning as the written communication in a first language
- a bin or granary for storing grains
- the cards discarded by players at cribbage
- a card game (usually for two players) in which each player is dealt six cards and discards one or two
Alternative definition of the noun crib
- [US] A baby’s bed (British and Australasian cot) with high, often slatted, often moveable sides, suitable for a child who has outgrown a cradle or bassinet.
- synonym: bach [New Zealand, northern]
- [British] A bed for a child older than a baby.
- [nautical] A small sleeping berth in a packet ship or other small vessel
- A wicker basket; compare Moses basket.
- A manger, a feeding trough for animals elevated off the earth or floor, especially one for fodder such as hay.
- The baby Jesus and the manger in a creche or Nativity scene, consisting of statues of Mary, Joseph and various other characters such as the magi.
- A bin for drying or storing grain, as with a corn crib.
- A small room or covered structure, especially one of rough construction, used for storage or penning animals.
- A confined space, as with a cage or office-cubicle
- [obsolete] A job, a position; (British), an appointment.
- A hovel, a roughly constructed building best suited to the shelter of animals but used for human habitation.
- [slang] One’s residence, or where one normally hangs out.
- A boxy structure traditionally built of heavy wooden timbers, to support an existing structure from below, as with a mineshaft or a building being raised off its foundation in preparation for being moved; see cribbing.
- [usually, plural] A collection of quotes or references for use in speaking, for for assembling a written document, or as an aid to a project of some sort; a crib sheet.
- [obsolete] A minor theft, extortion or embezzlement, with or without criminal intent.
- [cribbage]: Short for the card game cribbage.
- [cribbage]: The cards discarded by players and used by the dealer.
- [cryptography] A known piece of information corresponding to a section of encrypted text, that is then used to work out the remaining sections.
- [New Zealand, southern] A small holiday home, often near a beach and of simple construction.
- [Australia, New Zealand] A packed lunch taken to work.
Definition of the verb crib
What does crib mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: cribbed, cribbing
- use a crib, as in an exam
- take unauthorized (intellectual material)
- line with beams or planks
Alternative definition of the verb crib
- [transitive] To place or confine in a crib.
- [intransitive] To collect one or more passages and/or references for use in a speech, written document or as an aid for some task; to create a crib sheet.
- [intransitive] To install timber supports, as with cribbing.
- [transitive, obsolete] To steal or embezzle, to cheat out of: petty thieving.
- [Indian English] To complain, to grumble
Who is Crib?
Crib a.k.a. Carla MacLeod is a retired member of the Canadian national women's hockey team. Through her paternal grandmother, MacLeod is related to former Montreal Canadiens legend Maurice Richard.
- read more about Carla MacLeod
"Crib" is an artwork by Peter Eugene Ball.
- Crib is a print ad.
- Crib is an accommodation feature.
Phrases with Crib
Phrases starting with the word Crib:
Phrases ending with the word Crib:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crib
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
One of the operational data files being used for the storage of data on mineral resources is called CRIB (Computerized Resources Information Bank) (Calkins and others, 1973). CRIB is a general-purpose inventory and reference file on ...
Below is a summary of the functional domains present in members of each complex, CRIB is a Cdc42/Rac interactive binding site; GUK is a guanylate kinase homology domain, SH3 is a Src homology 3 domain; L27 is a Lin2/Lin7 homology ...
Life and Mind (2012)
A Philosophical Quest by Jürgen Lawrenz
The baby's crib is the site for one of nature's most remarkable developments, and therefore the best observational post for watching a child growing a mind. Your insights will be improved if you have animals in the house as well: a dog, a cat or ...
The Essential Turing (2004)
by B. Jack. Copeland
A crib is a series of letters or words that are thought likely to occur in the plain language message that the cipher text encrypts. Say we have good reason to believe that the Wrst and fourth letters of the plain text are both E (perhaps a prisoner ...
Volume 2: Geography by Richard Pillsbury
Crib sizes differed widely, ranging from by feet to by feet, the length lying along the ridge. The single-crib barn was put to many uses and served many functions. Many had dirt floors and shed-roofed areas on one or more sides.
Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Tinker's Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
Crib (popular and thieves), a house, room, They separated in the garden after they had cracked the crib. — fr. Kingslcy : Geoff rey Hamlyn. The term is used by others in a disparaging sense for a place, house, situation, restaurant. (Schools) ...
by Dale Erwin, Tessa Fedele
shepherd, goatherd; figurine ofa crib; 'o ~ d' 'a maraveglia crib in a Christmas nativity scene, (fig.) someone who is playing dumb. pasturiello n.m. small figurine ofa crib in a nativity scene. 294 parrucchiano ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crib
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Crib
Click on an item to view that photo:
Playing crib with two decks in lunchroom
Photo credit: jasonwoodhead23
Photo credit: trenttsd
Photo credit: michael_swan
Photo credit: NH53
Photo credit: valentinapowers
The nursery is finally taking shape.
Photo credit: Joe Shlabotnik
- Foiled Crib
Aluminum foil on the crib mattress to deter the cats.
Photo credit: brownpau
- Brussels Crib
Brussels Christmas Crib in city center
Photo credit: Titanas
- New crib
Very majestic. *nods*
Photo credit: Debs (ò‿ó)♪
- Pam's crib
Photo credit: miguelb
- Riley has outgrown her crib
Photo credit: commensaFamily
- Trying his new crib
Photo credit: quinn.anya
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Crib
Click on an item to play that video:
- Crib Meaning
Video shows what crib means. A baby's bed (British and Australasian cot) with high, often slatted, often moveable sides, suitable for a child who has outgrown a ...
- Crack a crib Meaning
Video shows what crack a crib means. To break into a house.. Crack a crib Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say crack a crib.
- Corn crib Meaning
Video shows what corn crib means. A slatted bin for drying corn (maize).. Corn crib Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say corn crib.
- Crib board Meaning
Video shows what crib board means. cribbage board. Crib board Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say crib board. Powered by ...
- Language Room Crib
See also the pronunciation examples of Crib!
Quotes about Crib
The story about me, apocryphal or not, is that I could sing before I spoke. My parents went into bedroom one day and there I was standing in the crib singing God Bless America. (Linda Lavin)
more quotes about crib...
Scrabble value of C3R1I1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CRIB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Crib!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Crib to see it in context!