On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun dail eireann
What does dail eireann mean as a name of something?
- the lower house of the parliament of the Irish Republic
- Dail Eireann a.k.a. Dáil Éireann was the revolutionary, unicameral parliament of the Irish Republic from 1919 to 1922. The Dáil was first formed by 73 Sinn Féin MPs elected in the 1918 United Kingdom general election. Their manifesto refused to recognise the British parliament at Westminster and chose instead to establish an independent legislature in Dublin. The convention of the First Dáil coincided with the beginning of the War of Independence.
- read more about Dáil Éireann
- Dail Eireann a.k.a. Dáil Éireann served as the directly elected lower house of the Oireachtas of the Irish Free State from 1922 to 1937. The Free State constitution described the role of the house as that of a "Chamber of Deputies". Until 1936 the Free State Oireachtas also included an upper house known as the Seanad. Like its modern successor, the Free State Dáil was, in any case, the dominant component of the legislature; it effectively had authority to enact almost any law it chose, and to appoint and dismiss the President of the Executive Council. The Free State Dáil ceased to be with the creation of the modern 'Dáil Éireann' under the terms of the 1937 Constitution of Ireland. Both the Dáil and Seanad sat in Leinster House.
- read more about Dáil Éireann
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dail Eireann
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gordon Gillespie
DAIL EIREANN (THE DAIL). The lower house of the Oireachtas (Irish Parliament), from which the Irish government is drawn. The Dail has 166 members known as Tachta Dala (TDs) elected from multimember constituencies ...
by James Stuart Olson, Robert Shadle
DAIL EIREANN of Ireland, and appropriated funds for afforestation and for fisheries. A committee was appointed to draft a Constitution and the Rules of Court, which created supreme, parish, and district courts. The Dail also voted funds ...
Dictionary of Politics (1992)
Selected American and Foreign Political and Legal Terms by Walter John Raymond
See OIREACHTAS, DAIL EIREANN. SEATO. See SOUTHEAST ASIA TREATY ORGANIZATION. Second Amendment Crowd. See GUN CONTROL. Second American Revolution, the. The period between 1954 — when the Supreme Court ...
Parties, Groups and Movements of the 20th Century by Peter Barberis, John McHugh, Mike Tyldesley
January Dail Eireann approves Treaty. De Valera resigns as president, succeeded by Arthur Griffith. Michael Collins heads provisional government. Mergers create the Transport and General Workers' Union (TGWU), Ernest Bevin its first ...
by Ernest Weekley
Dail Eireann [neol.]. Gael. Ir. ddil, meeting, and genitive of Eire, Ireland (see Erse) . The Dail Eireann, or Irish Constituent Assemhly, mrt in the Mansion House at Duhlin (Daily Mail, Jan. zz, 1919). daimio. Ohs. title of great Jap. nohle. Chin. dai ...
Heinemann English Dictionary (2001)
by Martin Manser
Dail Eireann (doyl air noun short form is Dail the lower house of parliament in the Republic of Ireland. [Irish doil assembly + Eireann Irish] daily adjective of or occurring every day. • daily adverb happening ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dail Eireann
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Dail Eireann
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos: