The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun devotee:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun devotee
What does devotee mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: devotees
- an ardent follower and admirer
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of devotee: buff / fan / lover
- more generic word: follower = a person who accepts the leadership of another
- more specific words:
- aerophile = a lover of aviation
- aficionado = a serious devotee of some particular music genre or musical performer
- amorist = one dedicated to love and lovemaking especially one who writes about love
- bacchanal / bacchant = a drunken reveller
- groupie = an enthusiastic young fan
- metalhead = a fan of heavy metal music
- member of: followers / following = a group of followers or enthusiasts
Alternative definition of the noun devotee
- An ardent enthusiast or admirer
- A fanatical or zealous believer in a particular religion or god
"Devotee" is the story of Hervé, an assertive 43-year-old man who was born without arms and legs. He meets a gorgeous young man online, a devotee who seems like he might be different. Their encounters prove Hervé’s difficulty in finding a true connection with someone who is interested in treating him like a person rather than a mere fetish.
- country: France
- language: French
- director: Rémi Lange
- genres: Romance Film, World cinema, LGBT, Drama
- subject: Acrotomophilia
- released in (7 years ago)
- Devotee is a fictional character from the 1975 film Sanyasi.
- Devotee is a fictional character from the 1977 film Shirdi Ke Sai Baba.
- Devotee is a fictional character from the 2008 film Yes Man.
- Devotee is a fictional character from the 2007 film Nobel Son.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Devotee
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Essence of Bhagavad Gita (2002)
by Braja Dulal Mookherjee
A devotee is a part of God. Sri Ramakrishna always had a saying:...
by Shāpurjī Edaljī
One engaged wholly in the exercises of devotion and mortification, an austere devotee, an ascetic. (rWW Austerity &c, fofa affix.) Cltrtl, /• Inquiry or examination into ; investigation of. 2 Revisal;collation;inspection. ClNrtt«1R, m. An investigator ...
Volume 1: A - L; Volume 2: M - Z by Patrick Taylor, Frederick I. Case
Nevertheless, the devotee cannot conceive of a ceremony without immolation. Thus, we are presented with an obvious antagonism. The deity values the blood, which is unclean to the devotees. Why is blood perceived in this way, favored by ...
by John Shakespear
A worshipper, an as- cetick, a devotee. Lj tappd, s. m. Division, district, parish. (j-Lj tapds (r. Shine, burn) s. f. 1. Sunshine, the sunbeams. 2. Toil, labour. CiLj tapak (Pers. d/UU) s. m. 1. Affection, esteem, regard, love, zeal, ardour.
Printed Entirely in the Roman Character, Conformable to the System Laid Down by Sir William Jones, and Improved Since His Time by Duncan Forbes
a servant, a devotee ; a slave. a. abddl, m. a religious person, ...
by John Shakespear
A worshipper, an ascetic, a devotee. H. k3 tappd, s. m. Division, district, parish. s. c-be tapds (r. तप Shine, burn) s. f. 1. Sunshine, 2. Toil, labour. H- k5 tdppd, s. (dakh) A small heap of cow-dung or other excrement ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Devotee
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Devotee
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Akuppa
Photo credit: MalayD
Photo credit: Carol Mitchell
One man one temple.
Photo credit: moonpointer 1
Photo credit: Shubhizz
Prostrate before the immensity of the divine
Photo credit: bookminx
Photo credit: denvie balidoy
Photo credit: Shubhizz
Photo credit: 7 july :-)
- The devotee
A family visit to the temple
Photo credit: rajagopal_rajeev
- Sinulog Devotee
Photo credit: roybuloy
- Firewalking Festival devotee
Fire Walking @ Sri Mariamman Temple, Singapore
Photo credit: froisnaidu
- Shiva Devotee
Brihadeeswarar temple - Tanjore
Photo credit: madpai
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Devotee
Click on an item to play that video:
- Devotee Meaning
Video shows what devotee means. An ardent enthusiast or admirer. A fanatical or zealous believer in a particular religion or god. Devotee Meaning. How to ...
- Meaning of taking dust of the feet of the Devotee by Radhanath Swami
Meaning of taking dust of the feet of the Devotee by Radhanath Swami [For more wisdom snippets, visit ...
- Yug pravah: Mataji's Words of Wisdom, A devotee's experience and explanation of Birthday Ritual
The video starts off with the words of wisdom from Guru Mata. She's talking about the power of the organization- the power of unity; it has the capacity to create ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Devotee!
Quotes about Devotee
I was a new devotee of Eastern mysticism and even though I did not join that particular group, I could well have done. They seemed a bit extreme but I regarded myself as not quite ready. (Mary Garden)
more quotes about devotee...
Scrabble value of D2E1V4O1T1E1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Devotee to see it in context!