The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun dolly:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun dolly
- Definition of the verb dolly
- Phrases with Dolly
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dolly
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dolly
- Photos about Dolly
- Video language resources about Dolly
- Sign language
- Quotes about Dolly
- Scrabble value of D2O1L1L1Y4
- Anagrams of DOLLY
- Share this page
Dolly is sometimes a misspelling of duly.
The word dolly is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun dolly
What does dolly mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: dollies
- conveyance consisting of a wheeled support on which a camera can be mounted
- conveyance consisting of a wheeled platform for moving heavy objects
- a small replica of a person; used as a toy
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of dolly: doll
- more generic words: plaything / toy = an artifact designed to be played with
- more specific terms:
- golliwogg / golliwog = a grotesque black doll
- kachina = a carved doll wearing the costume of a particular Pueblo spirit
- paper doll = a piece of paper cut or folded into the shape of a human being
- puppet = a doll with a hollow head of a person or animal and a cloth body
- rag doll = a cloth doll that is stuffed and (usually) painted
- sawdust doll = a doll that is stuffed with sawdust
- toy soldier = a doll that resembles a soldier
Alternative definition of the noun dolly
- A contrivance, turning on a vertical axis by a handle or winch, and giving a circular motion to the ore to be washed; a stirrer.
- A tool with an indented head for shaping the head of a rivet.
- In pile driving, a block interposed between the head of the pile and the ram of the driver.
- A small truck with a single wide roller used for moving heavy beams, columns, etc., in bridge building.
- A compact, narrow-gauge locomotive used for moving construction trains, switching, etc.
- [film] A specialized piece of film equipment that looks like a little car to which a camera is mounted.
- (children, colloquial): A child's name for a doll.
- [cricket] A ball hit by a batsman such that it goes gently to a fielder for a simple catch.
- a doll
Specialised definition of the noun dolly
Glossary of sports
an easy catch (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb dolly
What does dolly mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: dollied
- [transitive, cricket] To hit a dolly.
- To move an object using a dolly.
- Dolly a.k.a. Dolly Parton: Dolly Rebecca Parton, DHL is an American singer-songwriter, instrumentalist, actress, author, and philanthropist, known for her work in country music. Her career began as a child performer on the radio, then recording a few singles from the age of 13. She rose to prominence in 1967 as a featured performer on singer Porter Wagoner's weekly syndicated TV program; their first duet single, a cover of Tom Paxton's "The Last Thing on My Mind", was a top-ten hit on the country singles chart and led to several successful albums before they ended their partnership in 1974. Moving towards mainstream pop music, her 1977 single "Here You Come Again" was a success on both the country and pop charts. A string of pop-country hits followed into the mid-1980s, the most successful being her 1981 hit "9 to 5" and her 1983 duet with Kenny Rogers "Islands in the Stream", both of which topped the U.S. pop and country singles charts. A pair of albums recorded with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris were among her later successes. In the late 1990s, she returned to classic country/bluegrass with a series of acclaimed recordings.
- read more about Dolly Parton
- Dolly a.k.a. Rosie O'Donnell: Roseann "Rosie" O'Donnell is an American comedian, actress, author, and television personality. She has also been a magazine editor and continues to be a celebrity blogger, LGBT rights activist, television producer, and collaborative partner in the LGBT family vacation company R Family Vacations.
- read more about Rosie O'Donnell
- Dolly a.k.a. Annette Funicello: Annette Joanne Funicello was an American actress and singer. Funicello began her professional career as a child performer at the age of twelve. She rose to prominence as one of the most popular "Mouseketeers" on the original Mickey Mouse Club. As a teenager, she transitioned to a successful career as a singer with the pop singles "O Dio Mio," "Tall Paul" and "Pineapple Princess", as well as establishing herself as a film actress, popularizing the successful "Beach Party" genre alongside co-star Frankie Avalon during the mid-1960s.
- read more about Annette Funicello (actress)
- Dolly a.k.a. Jennifer Ketcham: Jennifer "Jennie" Ketcham is an American writer, reality television personality, blogger, artist, and former pornographic actress and film director under the name Penny Flame. She has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Tyra Banks Show, The View, Entertainment Tonight, Extra and Lifechangers to discuss sex addiction, and her blog has been featured on Last Call with Carson Daly.
- read more about Jennifer Ketcham
- Dolly a.k.a. Poonam Bajwa is an Indian actress, who predominantly appears in Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu films.
- read more about Poonam Bajwa (actress)
- Dolly a.k.a. Diana Lynn was an American actress.
- read more about Diana Lynn (actress)
- Dolly is a musical artist.
- Dolly a.k.a. Dolly Golden is a former pornographic actress.
- read more about Dolly Golden
- Dolly a.k.a. Dot Allison is a Scottish singer and songwriter, who has made significant inroads in electronic music circles, most notably as a result of her tenure fronting the band One Dove in the early 1990s. She is married to the film composer Christian Henson and they live in London.
- read more about Dot Allison (musical artist)
- Dolly a.k.a. Dolly Haas: Dorothy Clara Louise "Dolly" Haas was an actress and singer who played in German and American films, and often appeared in Broadway plays. Her husband was caricaturist Al Hirschfeld.
- read more about Dolly Haas (actress)
- Dolly a.k.a. Dolores Chaplin is a film actor, family member.
- read more about Dolores Chaplin (actress)
- Dolly a.k.a. Darya Zabinski is an actress.
- read more about Darya Zabinski (actress)
- Dolly is an actor.
- also known as Dooli
- profession: Actor
- read more about Dolly (actress)
- Dolly is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Dolly (actress)
- Dolly a.k.a. Dolly Reagan appeared in the 1981 documentary Being Different.
- read more about Dolly Reagan
- Dolly is a rock band from Nantes, France. The group is popular in France but less well-known elsewhere. Dolly's vocalist Emmanuelle Monet has appeared in many collaborations, including a song together with Apocalyptica on the single "Wie weit/How far/En Vie". Dolly stopped their activity indefinitely after the death of Michaël Chamberlin in a car accident on 25 May 2005.
- also known as d.o.l.l.y.
- genres: Rock music, Alternative rock
- albums: "Dolly", "Un jour de rêves", "Plein air", "Amours lynchées", "Sometimes EP", "Tous des stars", "Partir seule", "No One No Feeling", "Je n'veux pas rester sage", "Quand l'herbe nous dévore", "C'est pour toi", "Sunday Afternoon"
- Dolly is a Japanese visual kei rock band formed in 2005. They are signed to the Marder Suitcase label.
There are other groups with in their name, like dolly d., Dolly Dots, Dolly Roll, Vapid Dolly, Dolly Varden, Come to Dolly, Dolly Mixture, The Dolly Rockers, The Dolly Ranchers, The Dolly Rocker Movement and Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton.
Dolly is a record label.
- Dolly was a female domestic sheep, and the first mammal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell, using the process of nuclear transfer. She was cloned by Ian Wilmut, Keith Campbell and colleagues at the Roslin Institute, part of the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, and the biotechnology company PPL Therapeutics, based near Edinburgh. The funding for Dolly's cloning was provided by PPL Therapeutics and the Ministry of Agriculture. She was born on 5 July 1996 and died from a progressive lung disease 5 months before her seventh birthday. She has been called "the world's most famous sheep" by sources including BBC News and Scientific American.
- also known as Ντόλυ, 多利
- born on (18 years ago) in Scotland
- died on (11 years ago)
- Dolly is a White German Shepherd.
- Dolly is St. Bernard dog who played Beethoven in the 2008 film Beethoven's Big Break.
- read more about Dolly (film actress)
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 1962 film Nomos 4000.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 1963 film I Pseftra.
- Dolly is a fictional film character.
- Dolly is a fictional character in the 2010 computer-animated 3D film Toy Story 3.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the book Barnaby Rudge.
- also known as Dolly Varden
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 1967 film Up the MacGregors.
- Dolly a.k.a. Doll: Dolly is a fictional character from the 2014 TV series Doll & Em.
- read more about Doll
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 2011 film Rascals.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 2009 film Do Knot Disturb.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 2000 film Dard Pardesaan De.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 1995 film Dil Ka Doctor.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 2007 film Mr. Hot Mr. Kool.
- Dolly is a fictional character from the 1976 film Forever Emmanuelle.
- Dolly is a television variety show that ran on ABC during the 1987-1988 season featuring Dolly Parton.
- begun on and completed on (26 years ago)
- 22 episodes of 60 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- created by Dolly Parton
- regular cast:
- genres: Variety show, Comedy
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Sound Mixing - Variety Series Or Special (Down in New Orleans, Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Variety or Music Series or a Special) nomination for Doug Rider, David E. Fluhr, Carroll Pratt & Doug Nelson
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Sound Mixing - Variety Series Or Special (Down in New Orleans), received by Carroll Pratt, Doug Nelson, David E. Fluhr & Doug Rider
- "Dolly" a.k.a. "Dolly!" is a television variety show starring country music star Dolly Parton that aired in first-run syndication in 1976.
- "Dolly" is a short film, directed by John Eugene & Pedro Vasconcellos.
- country: Brazil
- released in
- "Dolly" is a 1993 album by Violetta Villas.
- also known as Laleczka
- released in (21 years ago)
- "Dolly" is the 2009 compilation album by Dolly Parton.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Dolly" is a musical album of Dolly.
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Dolly" is a composition.
- "Dolly" is a musical single of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "DOLLY" is a composition.
- music by K.A.Z
- Dolly: A dolly is a small trailer that can be coupled to a truck or trailer so as to support a semi-trailer. The dolly consists of a bogie equipped with a fifth wheel, to which the semi-trailer is coupled. This dolly needs its own rear lights and a registration plate. Some Americans call the whole dolly a bogie.
- Dolly is a monthly teen magazine started in 1970 by Fairfax Ltd. in Australia, and purchased by ACP in 1988. The current editor is Gemma Crisp, former features editor at Cleo, who was made editor of Dolly magazine in September 2007. The previous editor was Bronwyn McCahon who has been editor since 2004 and is now the editor of Australian Cosmopolitan. Dolly was the basis and inspiration for Sassy Magazine in the United States.
- official website: www.dolly.ninemsn.com.au
- Dolly a.k.a. Hand truck: A hand truck, also known as a two wheeler, stack truck, trolley, trolley truck, sack barrow, sack truck, dolly, or bag barrow, is an L-shaped box-moving handcart with handles at one end, wheels at the base, with a small ledge to set objects on, flat against the floor when the hand-truck is upright. The objects to be moved are tilted forward, the ledge is inserted underneath them, and the objects allowed to tilt back and rest on the ledge. Then the truck and object are tilted backward until the weight is balanced over the large wheels, making otherwise bulky and heavy objects easier to move. It is a first-class lever.
- read more about Hand truck
- Dolly: A dolly is the name given to a category of tools used in shaping sheet metal. In general, a dolly is a solid piece of metal, small enough to hold in one hand, with a curved or shaped face. Generally a dolly will have more than one surface, each with its own radius of curvature, allowing the craftsman more flexibility in using the tool.
Phrases with Dolly
Phrases starting with the word Dolly:
Phrases ending with the word Dolly:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dolly
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by CTI Reviews
A dolly is the name given to a category of tools used in shaping sheet metal. In general, a dolly is a solid piece of metal, small enough to hold in one hand, with a curved or shaped face. Generally a dolly will have more than one surface, each ...
by Delmar, Cengage Learning
This means a tractor/ trailer is considered to be two vehicles, each requiring a decal; a converter dolly is a separate vehicle. The decal must show the following information: date vehicle passed inspection, name and address to contact ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
dolly does, doze A group of female deer is a gathering of does, and a fairly brief sleep on the train or in your easy chair is a doze. Note that 'does' as a group of deer is pronounced quite different from 'does', the third person singular present ...
by Vin T. Sparano
COMMON NAMES: Dolly Varden trout. Dolly, western char, bull trout, salmon trout, red-spotted trout. SCIENTIFIC NAME: Stilvelinux malma. DESCRIPTION: This member of the char family somewhat resembles the brook trout but lacks the ...
by Jill Berk Jiminez
Dolly en costume marin, 1914 (Dongen, Dolly ...
by Jonathon Green
dolly 1. n [Motor trade] ashapedmetal block used asan 'anvil' for smoothing out imperfections in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dolly
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Dolly
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: sk8geek
Photo credit: RedButtons
Shot on the set of 'Dying to Know', a short drama film produced by pFlix Films for the Earl Mountbatten Hospice on the Isle of Wight.
Canon EOS 400D / Nikkor AI-F 35mm f2.8
Photo credit: willjackson.eu
Airbrushed by Creepy Scotty
Photo credit: Jonny Fritz
Photo credit: BabyEksy
Photo credit: phil hirst
Photo credit: intoruth
Photo credit: ndanger
Photo credit: Gustavo La Rotta Amaya
Xmas window display
Photo credit: ELCHAN18
Photo credit: Ross Griff
Photo credit: northways
Photo credit: MattRead
Photo credit: olavXO
Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm F1.8
M42 - SR mount adaptor
Fujifilm Gyomuyo 100
Photo credit: Yosh the Fishhead
Photo credit: micadew
- Tropical Dolly
Photo credit: Editor B
- Dolly pic
Photo credit: vaxomatic
- Dolly Styrene
Photo credit: sk8geek
- Red Dolly
Photo credit: fczuardi
View more pictures about Dolly Parton.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Dolly
Click on an item to play that video:
- Dolly Meaning
Video shows what dolly means. A contrivance, turning on a vertical axis by a handle or winch, and giving a circular motion to the ore to be washed; a stirrer.
- Dolly Meaning
Video shows what Dolly means. A diminutive of the female given name Dorothy, and later also of Dolores.. Dolly Parton. Dolly Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Introducing dolly couture & what's your definition of a bar
Y'all check out...
- Psy Dolly, Tom Urwin - QUEEN BEE [Definition]
- David Francis & Dolly Dana: Passamaquoddy language and traditional forest uses.
Passamaquoddy language and traditional forest uses.
- The Dolly Description
- Dolly's Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Dolly!
Miss Polly had a Dolly - British Sign Language (BSL) and singing
Signs and Sounds runs baby and toddler British Sign Language and singing classes.
Quotes about Dolly
Scrabble value of D2O1L1L1Y4
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DOLLY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Dolly!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dolly to see it in context!