On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun elasmobranchii
What does elasmobranchii mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- sharks; rays; dogfishes; skates
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonyms of Elasmobranchii: Selachii / subclass Elasmobranchii / subclass Selachii
- more generic word: class = a taxonomic group containing one or more orders
- member of: Chondrichthyes / class Chondrichthyes = cartilaginous fishes
- elasmobranch / selachian = any of numerous fishes of the class Chondrichthyes characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton and placoid scales: sharks; rays
- family Hexanchidae / Hexanchidae = primitive sharks
- family Lamnidae / Lamnidae = oceanic sharks
- family Cetorhinidae / Cetorhinidae = in some older classifications considered the family of the basking sharks
- family Alopiidae / Alopiidae = thresher sharks
- family Orectolobidae / Orectolobidae = nurse sharks and carpet sharks
- family Odontaspididae / family Carchariidae / Odontaspididae / Carchariidae = sand sharks
- family Rhincodontidae / Rhincodontidae = small-toothed sharks comprising only one species
- family Scyliorhinidae / Scyliorhinidae = small bottom-dwelling sharks
- family Carcharhinidae / Carcharhinidae = largest family of living sharks; found worldwide especially in tropical waters
- family Triakidae / Triakidae = small sharks with smooth skins and lacking spines on their dorsal fins
- family Squalidae / Squalidae = dogfishes having a spine in each dorsal fin
- family Sphyrnidae / Sphyrnidae = hammerhead sharks
- family Squatinidae / Squatinidae = bottom-dwelling ray-like sharks
- order Torpediniformes / Torpediniformes = rays with bodies shaped like torpedoes
- order Rajiformes / order Batoidei / Rajiformes / Batoidei = fish with dorsoventrally flattened bodies; includes: rays; skates; guitarfishes
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Elasmobranchii
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Encyclopedia of Animals (2004)
A Complete Visual Guide by Fred Cooke
Elasmobranchii is a large group that includes the wide- ranging sharks, skates, and rays. The smaller Holocephali group contains the relatively "primitive" chimaeras. These bizarre-looking and mosdy bottom-dwelling fishes differ from the ...
A Dictionary of Science (2017)
by Jonathan Law
Elasmobranchii. See CHONDRICHTHYES. elastance. The reciprocal of * capacitance. It is measured in farad–1 (sometimes called a 'daraf'). elastic. cartilage. See CARTILAGE. elastic. collision. A collision in which the total kinetic energy of the ...
by Barbara Charton, John Tietjen
Subclass Elasmobranchii Order Selachi Sharks and dogfish Order Batoidea Skates and rays Order Holocephali Chimaeras Class Osteichtyes (bony fish) Subclass Actinopterygii (ray-finned fish) ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
Squalidae (dogfish; subclass *Elasmobranchii, order *Squaliformes) A fairly large family of marine sharks that have two *dorsal fins, each often preceded by a solid spine. The *anal fin is lacking. Some species, e.g. Etmopterus spinax (Atlantic ...
Abstract Modern cartilaginous fishes, representatives of the earliest jawed vertebrates that diverged >450 million years ago, are grouped into two subclasses, Elasmobranchii (sharks, skates, and rays) and Holocephali ( chimeras). They are the ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
any fish the subclass Elasmobranchii (Class Chondrichthyes), q.v. elasmobranch poisoning. a type ...
A Dictionary of Biology (1957)
by Michael Abercrombie, Clarence James Hickman, M. L. Johnson
ELASMOBRANCHII. Often synonymous with Chondrichthyes (q.v.). Sometimes made a sub-class of Chondrichthyes, including all members of this class except Holocephali. ELASTIN.
by John Owen Edward Clark, William Hemsley
Copepoda Mystacocarida Ostracoda Chilopoda Diplopoda Insecta Pauropoda Chordata Cephalochordata Hemichordata Vertebrata Urochordata Enteropneusta Pterobranchia Agnatha Elasmobranchii Osteichthyes Amphibia Reptilia Aves ...
by Hanneke(J.)G. Baretta-Bekker, Egbert K. Duursma, Bouwe R. Kuipers
Elasmobranchii see →Pisces. electrodes conducting surface used for the determination of solute concentrations. The functioning of reversible electrodes is based on Nernst's Law (electrical potential proportional to the logarithm of the solute ...
by Paul A. Rees
tooth eggbreaking behaviour eggeating behaviour egging EGGS EIA EID technology ejaculate ejaculation EKG Elasmobranchii electric fence,hot wire electric fishing electric stunner electrocardiogram (ECG), EKG electrocardiograph (ECG), ...
by Kitty Blount, Maggie Crowley
Dunkleosteus from the Late Devonian Devonian shark Cladoselache ELASMOBRANCHII (SHARKS AND RAYS) JAWLESS FISH ARMORED FISH HAGFISH EXTINCT JAWLESS FISH LAMPREYS SPINY ...
by Virginia P. Studdert, Clive C. Gay, Douglas C. Blood
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Elasmobranchii
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of E1L1A1S1M3O1B3R1A1N1C3H4I1I1
The value of this 14-letter word is 23 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Elasmobranchii to find many related words and phrases!