Elect appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- To get a ripe lamb, elect a fan a fat celeb male pirate got.
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective elect
- Definition of the noun elect
- Definition of the verb elect
- Phrases with Elect
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Elect
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Elect
- Photos about Elect
- Video language resources about Elect
- Quotes about Elect
- Scrabble value of E1L1E1C3T1
- Anagrams of ELECT
- Share this page
Definition of the adjective elect
What does elect mean as an attribute of a noun?
- selected as the best
- elected but not yet installed in office
- example: the president elect
- adjective position: immediately postnominal adjective (it occurs immediately after the noun)
- similar: incoming
Definition of the noun elect
What does elect mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: elect
- an exclusive group of people
Alternative definition of the noun elect
- [uncountable] [theology] In Calvinist theology, those foreordained to Heaven.
- antonym: reprobate
Definition of the verb elect
What does elect mean as a doing word?
Elect is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: elected | electing | elects
- select by a vote for an office or membership
- examples: We elected him chairman of the board | They elect him as chairman
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] They elected John [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] We elected him as governor [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] to be [Predicate, not sentential clause] We elected Alan to be our new governor [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Predicate] We elected him governor
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- more generic terms: choose / pick out / select / take = pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb elect
- [transitive] To choose or make a decision (to do something)
- [transitive] To choose (a candidate) in an election
"Elect" is a book written by Rachel Van Dyken.
"Elect" a.k.a. "Isbannik (A.Solchenizyn)": Isbannik is a 1998 film directed by Olesja Fokina.
- read more about Isbannik (A.Solchenizyn)
Elect a.k.a. -elect: An -elect is a political candidate who has been elected to an office but who has not yet been installed or officially taken office These may include an incoming president, senator, representative, governor and mayor.
Phrases with Elect
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Elect
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The word elect means to choose. It is given to Christians because they are " chosen to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth," 2 Thess. ii. 13. It is probable that in Jerusalem and the adjacent parts of Judea, there ...
And of the Islands in the British Seas by Nicholas Carlisle
Sterling that had been saved during vacancies, constitute the whole of the Salary: the Kirk-Session elect the Teacher, according to Mr. Tod's deed of Settlement. The Marquis of QUEENsBERRY is almost the sole Proprietor. In the Church is the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Elect
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Elect
Click on an item to view that photo:
Elect. Candels. at Angsana Maldives
Photo credit: Mohmed Althani
View more pictures about The Elect.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Elect
Click on an item to play that video:
- 3007-Predestination-Explaining the meaning of Elect, Quickened, Chosen
Predestination-Explaining the meaning of Elect, Quickened, Chosen...
- Elect Meaning
Video shows what elect means. One chosen or set apart.. In Calvinist theology, one foreordained to Heaven. In other Christian theologies, someone chosen by ...
- "End Times Prophecy Terminology Keys" - Tribulation Day of Christ Elect DFW Baptist
- P3 A LONGMAN ELECT C1 VOCABULARY
- Longman Elect Book 5A Ch 3 Vocabulary
Longman Elect Book 5A Ch 3 Vocabulary.
- Longman Elect Book 3B Ch 4 p.31 verb table
Longman Elect Book 3B Ch 4 p.31 verb table.
View more videos about The Elect.
See also the pronunciation examples of Elect!
Quotes about Elect
Scrabble value of E1L1E1C3T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine