On this page:
- Definition of the verb evolve
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Evolve
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Evolve
- Usage statistics about evolve
- Photos about Evolve
- Video language resources about Evolve
- Quotes about Evolve
- Scrabble value of E1V4O1L1V4E1
- Share this page
The word evolve and its family (evolution, evolved, evolving, evolves, evolutionary, evolutionist, evolutionists) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb evolve
What does evolve mean as a doing word?
Evolve is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: evolved | evolving | evolves
- work out
- undergo development or evolution
- example: Modern man evolved a long time ago
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax there [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] There appeared a ship on the horizon Verbs of Appearance: appear, arise, awake, awaken, break, burst, coalesce, come, dawn, derive, develop, emanate, emerge, erupt, exude, flow, form, grow, gush, issue, materialize, open, plop, pop up, re-emerge, reappear, result, rise, show up, spill, spread, spring up, steal, stem, stream, supervene, surge, take shape, wax [Theme] [Verb] A ship appeared [Theme] [Verb] [Location, locative adverb] It appeared there [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] A ship appeared on the horizon [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] On the horizon appeared a large ship [Agent - being] [Verb] [Material] into [Product] The gardener grew that acorn into an oak tree Verbs of Transformation: develop, generate, grow, hatch, mature [Agent - being] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] The gardener grew an oak tree from that acorn [Material - concrete object] [Verb] into [Product] That acorn will grow into an oak tree [Product - concrete object] [Verb] from / out of [Material] An oak tree will grow from that acorn
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- more generic word: develop = grow, progress, unfold, or evolve through a process of evolution, natural growth, differentiation, or a conducive environment
- more specific words:
- gain through experience
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Material] into [Product] The gardener grew that acorn into an oak tree [Agent - being] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] The gardener grew an oak tree from that acorn [Material - concrete object] [Verb] into [Product] That acorn will grow into an oak tree [Product - concrete object] [Verb] from / out of [Material] An oak tree will grow from that acorn
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of evolve: acquire / develop
- more generic word: change = undergo a change; become different in essence
Alternative definition of the verb evolve
- To move in regular procession through a system.
- To develop.
"Evolve" is a video game.
- mode: Cooperative gameplay, Multiplayer video game, Single-player video game
- developer: Turtle Rock Studios
- genres: First-person Shooter, Cooperative game
- publisher: 2K Games
- released on
- "Evolve" is the second EP by American deathcore band, Chelsea Grin, released on June 19, 2012 through Artery Recordings. It is the first release by the band with guitarist Jason Richardson taking up lead guitar since his departure from Born of Osiris and the last release to feature Andrew Carlston on drums. Evolve was mixed by Jason Suecof and was engineered by famed metal producer and Dååth guitarist, Eyal Levi.
- "Evolve" is the twelfth studio album by singer-songwriter Ani DiFranco, released in 2003. The album won DiFranco and Brian Grunert a Grammy Award for Best Recording Package in 2004. This album is more eclectic and stylistically venturous than DiFranco's previous works, experimenting with styles such as jazz and funk.
- "Evolve" is an R&B mid-tempo song by American recording artist Mýa. It served as Harrison’s fifth and final U.S. digital single from her sixth studio album K.I.S.S.. Singled out of as one of Harrison favorite songs on the album, Evolve is a heartfelt mid-tempo track about having determination and will power through it all and not letting anyone stop you. The song was written and composed by Harrison and Delisha Thomas with production handled by Lee Major.
- "Evolve" is the debut album by the Florida-based nu metal/hard rock music group Endo. The album was released on March 20, 2001 via DV8/Columbia Records. The track "Malice" is present on the soundtrack for the film, Dracula 2000.
- "Evolve" is the second studio album by American rock supergroup Eye Empire. It is their first full length album to feature drummer Ryan Bennett on every track.
- genre: Alternative metal
- released on
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Paradise Lost.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Exzakt.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical EP of Prompt.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Approaching Nirvana.
- released on
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Victor Calderone.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Cindy Akana.
- released in (6 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical single of Insight.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Pulse Legion.
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of It Is I.
- released on (19 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical single of Ricochet.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Jackiem Joyner.
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Tarsis.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Animassacre.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Zachary Stowasser.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Evolve" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Freeform
- "Evolve" is a musical album of Petroleum.
Evolve is a musical group.
- albums: "Happy Hour in the Gene Pool", "Approaching Nirvana"
- Evolve Wrestling is an American professional wrestling promotion based in the Northeast founded in 2010 by former Ring of Honor booker and current Dragon Gate USA vice president, Gabe Sapolsky, Full Impact Pro owner Sal Hamaoui, and independent wrestler Davey Richards. The company features a roster of independently-contracted wrestlers from all over the country, as well as several competitors from Japan. The promotion has a close working relationship with Dragon Gate USA.
- official website: www.evolvewrestling.com
- Evolve is a website.
- official website: evolve.elsevier.com
- Evolve is a 2008 documentary television series on History. The series premiere, "Eyes", was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Science, Technology and Nature Programming.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Evolve
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Respiratory Care Exam Review (2015)
by David H. Persing, Gary Persing
Evolve is an interactive learning environment designed to work in coordination with this text.
Think Like a Winner! (1991)
by Staples, Walter Doyle
This ability to creatively imagine your future in the precise way you want it to evolve is the second great wonder of the mind. Many of your actual experiences during your upbringing were probably less than ideal. The odds are that you ...
Are Incentives Everything? (2001)
Payment Mechanisms for Health Care Providers in Developing Countries by Varun Gauri
Increasing or decreasing the utilization of specific medical procedures as technologies evolve is a continual health policy problem, and encouraging greater utilization of public health and preventive care is a preoccupation of public health ...
Pro ADO.NET Data Services (2009)
Working with RESTful Data by John Shaw, Gary Evans
This statement has been true since the beginning of the Internet, but what continues to evolve is the format and type of content being returned in the response messages received by users. The most common content type returned in response ...
Abacus Evolve Yr4/P5 (2005)
Textbook 3 by Harcourt Education
Car Cup Dog Mouse Tin Plate Cat Big Red Soft Blue Hard Sad Motorbike Giraffe Hamster Needle Window Sofa Chimney Purple Happy Little Orange Gentle Abacus Evolve is the mathematics programme for creative teaching, with.
Abacus Evolve 2 Textbook (2005)
by Ruth Merttens, David Kirkby
Abacus Evolve is the mathematics programme for creative teaching, with.
Algorithms and Applications by Panos M. Pardalos, Leonidas Pitsoulis
The next approach to evolve is that of a multiple pane window in which the position of hard data ...
by Karin C. VanMeter, Robert J Hubert, William G. VanMeter
http://evolve.elsevier.com/VanMeter/microbiology/ Evolve is an interactive learning environment designed to work in coordination with this text. Instructors may use Evolve to provide an Internet-based course component that reinforces and ...
First Life (2011)
Discovering the Connections Between Stars, Cells, and How Life Began by David Deamer
THEODOSIUS DOBZHANSKY, 1973 The ability to evolve is the final aspect of any definition of life. Whatever system of molecules we imagine to be the first form of life or fabricate in the laboratory as synthetic life must have a demonstrated ...
20th International Symposium, SPIRE 2013, Jerusalem, Israel, October 7-9, 2013, Proceedings by Oren Kurland, Moshe Lewenstein, Ely Porat
Being capable of storing archive data with historic information on how documents evolve is a challenging task by itself, but we also need to provide searching capabilities to make this information easily available for people when needed.
Sales Automation Done Right (2005)
Selling in the Digital Age by Keith Thompson
Disconnected Databases An unavoidable result of the way in which companies evolve is that important information gets scattered and strewn around the organization. Growth is always accompanied by the formation of functional groups, each ...
by Katherine Dunster
Birds evolve. Triassic Period 245-208 million Dry land, many deserts. Continents are mountainous and years ago joined into one supercontinent. The first dinosaurs and mammals appear. The forests are dominated by gymnosperms and ferns.
Evolve Student Resources for Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions, 10th edition, include the following: • Anatomy Tables Detailed tables describing position, ...
by Denise Tiran
Baillière's Midwives' Dictionary Evolve Learning Resources for Students and Lecturers. See the instructions and PIN code panel on the inside cover for access to the web site. https://evolve.elsevier.com/Bailliere/midwivesdictionary/ Think ...
Language Policy and Political Issues in Education by Ruth Wodak, P. Corson
Policies may also evolve as a consequence of actions governments do not take, for example, by not providing support for the teaching or learning of a particular language, or language variety, or by designating and promoting an official ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
variables, other personality variables that are more linked to particular situations such as foreign language classroom anxiety might evolve. Psychological variables that are not linked to any particular personality trait such as attitudes and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Evolve
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about evolve
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb evolve:
Photos about Evolve
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Evolve
Click on an item to play that video:
- Evolve Meaning
Video shows what evolve means. To move in regular procession through a system.. To change, transform, develop.. Of a population, to change genetic ...
- Evolve Your Definition of Traceability
- Liberation Frequency #8: The Origins of Evolve and Ascend + Sun Language
Jennifer Sodini and Billy O'Brien discuss how they met, and what lead them on their journey to create Evolve and Ascend. They elaborate on the synchronicities ...
- BODY LANGUAGE - Evolve Dance Complex [Boardman, OH]
- Develop Vs Evolve - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Pronunciation of evolve - Open Education Sociology Dictionary
How to say evolve. Learn sociology terms at...
- PRE-TOEFL 2 LEVEL (HIGH EVOLVE LANGUAGE LEARNING)
- Client description of evolve - Sterre
- Charnel eon Evolve's! CHECK THE DESCRIPTION
View more videos about To Evolve.
See also the pronunciation examples of Evolve!
Quotes about Evolve
We will evolve
this way or
take on interactive
hybrid or stasis forms
chaos disaster inflicted
only healthy offspring
of selected survivors
have options to evolve (Terence George Craddock)
more quotes about evolve...
Scrabble value of E1V4O1L1V4E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Evolve to see it in context!