Fart appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Fart, R.A.F.
- Butt raft, fart tub.
- Trafalgar rag: La Fart.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fart
- Definition of the verb fart
- Phrases with Fart
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fart
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fart
- Usage statistics about fart
- Photos about Fart
- Video language resources about Fart
- Sign language
- Quotes about Fart
- Scrabble value of F4A1R1T1
- Anagrams of FART
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fart
What does fart mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: farts
- a reflex that expels intestinal gas through the anus
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of fart: breaking wind / farting / flatus / wind
- more generic terms: inborn reflex / innate reflex / instinctive reflex / physiological reaction / reflex / reflex action / reflex response / unconditioned reflex = an automatic instinctive unlearned reaction to a stimulus
Alternative definition of the noun fart
- [informal, slang] An emission of digestive gases from the anus; a flatus.
- synonym: barking spider
- [colloquial, vulgar] An irritating person; a fool.
- synonym: bottom burp
- [colloquial, vulgar, potentially offensive] (usually as "'old fart'") An elderly person; especially one perceived to hold old-fashioned views.
- synonym: flatus
Definition of the verb fart
What does fart mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: farted | farting | farts
- expel intestinal gases through the anus
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] Paul hiccuped
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of fart: break wind
- more generic terms: act involuntarily / act reflexively = act in an uncontrolled manner
Alternative definition of the verb fart
- [informal, mildly vulgar] To emit digestive gases from the anus; to flatulate.
- synonym: beef
- [colloquial, usually, as "fart around"] To waste time with idle and inconsequential tasks; to go about one's activities in a lackadaisical manner; to be lazy or over-relaxed in one's manner or bearing.
- synonym: blow off
Fart is a word in the English language most commonly used in reference to flatulence. The word "fart" is generally considered unsuitable in formal situations as it may be considered vulgar or offensive. Fart can be used as a noun or a verb. The immediate roots are in the Middle English words ferten, feortan or farten, kin of the Old High German word ferzan. Cognates are found in old Norse, Slavic and also Greek and Sanskrit. The word "fart" has been incorporated into the colloquial and technical speech of a number of occupations, including computing.
Phrases with Fart
Phrases starting with the word Fart:
Phrases ending with the word Fart:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fart
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
No Country for Old Men (2008)
Fresh Perspectives on Irish Literature by Paddy Lyons, Alison O'Malley-Younger
Nowadays, a fart is an ill wind that blows no good, but in early modern Ireland, the fart is an art in itself, and not just an opening gambit or untimely intervention. Indeed, breaking wind is the peculiar forte of an WILLY MALEY A Few Shakes of a ...
Arithmetical Institutions (1735)
Containing a Compleat System of Arithmetic Natural, Logarithmical, and Algebraical in All Their Branches: ... By the Rev. Mr. John Kirkby by John Kirkby
An Aliquot Fart is that which being ...
by Christopher Stevens
By comparison, fart is a nasal noise, almost prissy. But fart has been the English slang for flatulence since AngloSaxon times at least, when the word was feortan. In Sanskrit, it is completely unchanged from the IndoEuropean root: pardis to ...
The fart is that both the plaintiff and the defendants, ...
Editor and Publisher (1919)
"The bald and uncomfortable fart is that the United States obtained this business very largely because the European sources of supply were closed and the merchants of South America had a choice only of buying in the United States or not ...
Editor & Publisher (1919)
Louis Advertising “The bald and uncomfortable fart is that the United States obtained this business very largely because the European sources of supply ...
A Bantawa Dictionary (2003)
by Werner Winter
fill fill be full filled fart; break wind long fart fart at s.o. be long (cf. bett-(a)) worm; maggot be large (cf. bom-(a)) bhom +pa+lung bhom+s\"n] bhont-(u) bhon+ga bhorok bhos-(a) bhukt-(u) bhukt-(u) da-( u) ...
by Richard Rudgley
Puckfist means an imp's silent fart (the releasing of the spores in the form of a dust cloud by the puffball being the inspiration for this scatological metaphor). In the French, Dutch and Danish versions of this the Offender is not the imp but the ...
The Leading Word of Each Article Being Printed in a New Nustaleek Type, to which is Added, Mohammedan Law and Bengal Revenue Terms by Samuel Rousseau
fart surrounded by a marsh. When Sheer Khaim conquered this country, fome of the Rajah's elephants fled into the wilds, where they have increased to great numbers. This Sircar produces long pepper. The Sircar of Khaleessutabad abounds ...
Teaching to Write and Pronounce the English Tongue with Ease and Propriety, in Wich Each Word is Accented According to Its Just and Natural Pronunciation ... with a List of Proper Names of Men and Women ..., Towich is Prefixed a Gammatical Introduction to the English Tongue by John Entick, William Crakelt
for Interjection - fart, for Participle : fr. for Preposition : / for ...
by Dale Erwin, Tessa Fedele
fart n. fetecchia, pereta, pireto, peretillo, peretone, piretone; series of farts ...
udarbeidet efter de bedste og nyeste ordbøger by Christian Friderich Bay
Skibswrag, a Wreck of a Ship, Skid, a Turd, Excrement, a Fart. (slaae en –) to fart, to poop. - Skide, to shite. Skidehuus, a House of Office, little House, Skiden, dirty, foul, nasty, sloverly, sluttish, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fart
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about fart
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fart:
Photos about Fart
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: gustopher
Photo credit: Little Li
Photo credit: cpratt
Photo credit: jaroh
Photo credit: Pochestorie
- Fart Bomb
Photo credit: basibanget
- Fart smeller!!
Photo credit: SarahSphar
- Blossom Fart
Photo credit: lifeasme40
Photo credit: JenCarole
- Fart Barf
Photo credit: jaroh
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fart
Click on an item to play that video:
- Slang in English - Bodily Noises - FART, BURP, YAWN, HICCUP, QUEEF
- Old fart Meaning
Video shows what old fart means. An elderly person who holds views that are considered old-fashioned.. old fart synonyms: old broad. old fart pronunciation.
- Fart Proposal meaning and pronunciation
A wedding proposal that consists of a naked man walking up to a table covered in flour which he proceeds to fart on and blow away, revealing lettering in stuck ...
- [2D1N S3-78] Kim Junho's Definition About 'Fart'
Kim Junho always have a special explanation about funny thing !XD.
- Definition of a fart can exhaust
Duce Massive's custom "flowgers" exhaust. Stock diameter straight pipe to coffee can amplification unit.
- The Camel, Muppet, and the Fart's explanation on a platypus.
As the title says. 1-16-15, all agreed to being uploaded.
- Fart Enthusiast meaning and pronunciation
an individual who is highly amused by anything associated with flatuation. Fart Enthusiast definition by Urban Dictionary.
- How to Pronounce Girlfriend Fart (Urban Slang Word)
Expand your vocabulary and learn how to say new words...
- Jon performing in "fart language"
- Ben Fart To Tom Cat (Filipino Language)
This video was uploaded from an Android phone.
- ESL 24 RGB Fart Stopper
- Hendrix Reads Book in Fart Sound Language (2/21/14)
- The Language of the Fart People!
- Fart Dictionary
Fart Dictionary Donwload Here...
- Fart Dictionary by Scott Sorensen Ebook PDF
Fart Dictionary by Scott Sorensen Ebook PDF Click...
- DOWNLOAD PDF Fart Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Fart!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Fart
To fart is, of course, unpleasant.
To fart silently is to steal
The wind and escape as a thief.
A thief fights thieves to hide his thefts.
(26.06.2011) (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about fart...
Scrabble value of F4A1R1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FART
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Fart!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fart to see it in context!