Fast appears in the following tongue twister:
- Free Ritz wristwatch.
Try saying Ritz wristwatch 5 times fast!
(from the back of a Ritz cracker box)
Fast appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Race fast, safe car.
- A Toyota! Race fast… safe car: a Toyota.
- Go Bill: it's "sip it safe, fast--I piss 'till I bog."
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective fast:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective fast and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective fast
- Definition of the adverb fast
- Definition of the noun fast
- Definition of the verb fast
- Other definitions of fast
- Phrases with Fast
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fast
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fast
- Photos about Fast
- Video language resources about Fast
- Sign language
- Quotes about Fast
- Scrabble value of F4A1S1T1
- Anagrams of FAST
- Share this page
Fast is sometimes a misspelling of first.
The word fast is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective fast
What does fast mean as an attribute of a noun?
Fast is one of the top 100 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: faster | fastest
- acting or moving or capable of acting or moving quickly
- examples: fast film | on the fast track in school | set a fast pace | a fast car
- antonym: slow
- similar: accelerated; alacritous; blistering / hot / red-hot; double-quick; express; fast-breaking; fast-paced; fleet / swift; high-speed / high-velocity; hurrying / scurrying; immediate / prompt / quick / straightaway; instant / instantaneous; meteoric; quick / speedy; rapid; rapid / speedy; smart; winged; windy
- attribute: swiftness / fastness / speed = a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens
- see also: sudden; hurried
- (used of timepieces) indicating a time ahead of or later than the correct time
- example: my watch is fast
- antonym: slow
- at a rapid tempo
- (of surfaces) conducive to rapid speeds
- examples: a fast road | grass courts are faster than clay
- similar: smooth
- resistant to destruction or fading
- unrestrained by convention or morality
- hurried and brief
- securely fixed in place
- unwavering in devotion to friend or vow or cause
- (of a photographic lens or emulsion) causing a shortening of exposure time
- example: a fast lens
- similar: causative
Alternative definition of the adjective fast
- firmly or securely fixed in place; stable [definition from 9th c.]
- Of people: steadfast, with unwavering feeling. (Now only in set phrases like "fast friend".) [definition from 10th c.]
- Moving with great speed, or capable of doing so; swift, rapid [definition from 14th c.]
- [computing, of a piece of hardware] Able to transfer data in a short period of time
- deep or sound (of sleep); fast asleep (of people) [definition 16th-19th c.]
- Of dyes or colours: not running or fading when subjected to detrimental conditions such as wetness or intense light; permanent [definition from 17th c.]
- synonym: colour-fast
- [colloquial] Having an extravagent lifestyle or immoral habits [definition from 18th c.]
- ahead of the correct time or schedule [definition from 19th c.]
- [context: of photographic film] More sensitive to light than average [definition from 20th c.]
Definition of the adverb fast
What does fast mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- quickly or rapidly (often used as a combining form)
- examples: how fast can he get here? | ran as fast as he could | needs medical help fast | fast-running rivers | fast-breaking news | fast-opening (or fast-closing) shutters
- firmly or closely
- examples: held fast to the rope | her foot was stuck fast
- synonym of fast: tight
Alternative definition of the adverb fast
- In a firm or secure manner, securely; in such a way as not to be moved [definition from 10th c.]
- [context: of sleeping] deeply or soundly [definition from 13th c.]
- Immediately following in place or time; close, very near [definition from 13th c.]
- quickly, with great speed; within a short time [definition from 13th c.]
- ahead of the correct time or schedule
Definition of the noun fast
What does fast mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fasts
- abstaining from food
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of fast: fasting
- more generic word: abstinence = act or practice of refraining from indulging an appetite
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun fast
- The act or practice of abstaining from food or of eating very little food
- synonym: fasting
- The period of time during which one abstains from or eats very little food
- [British, rail transport] A train that calls at only some stations it passes between its origin and destination, typically just the principal stations
Definition of the verb fast
What does fast mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: fasted | fasting | fasts
- abstain from certain foods, as for religious or medical reasons
- abstain from eating
Other definitions of fast
What does fast also mean?
- [archery] Short for "stand fast", a warning not to pass between the arrow and the target
- antonym: loose
- Fast a.k.a. Willie Parker: Willie Everette Parker, Jr. is a retired American football running back who played for six seasons for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League. After playing college football for North Carolina, he was signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2004.
- read more about Willie Parker
- Fast a.k.a. Brian Leiser: Brian Andrew Leiser, is a member of the band Fun Lovin' Criminals, plays bass, keyboards, harmonica, and the trumpet. He attended Horace Greeley High School in Chappaqua NY, graduating in 1990.
- read more about Brian Leiser
- Fast a.k.a. Barry Wright is a rapper.
- read more about Barry Wright
Fast is a fictional character from the book A Dog's Purpose.
- "Fast" is a 2013 short film written and directed by Melanie Vesey.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Jennifer Kennedy, Hilary Scratch, Melanie Vesey
- executive producers: Christina Bounarroti & Fred Stapula
- art direction by Darren Williams
- written by Melanie Vesey
- cinematography by Inga Mitinyan
- edited by Hilary Scratch
- music by Barb Morrison
- set decoration by Dani Greva
- genres: Drama, Fantasy, Science Fiction
- released in
- "Fast" is a 1995 romantic comedy film directed by Dante Desarthe.
- "Fast" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Fast" is a musical album of Bleach.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Fast" is a musical album of Custom.
- released on (12 years ago)
- FAST is an acronym used as a mnemonic to help detect and enhance responsiveness to stroke victim needs. The acronym stands for Facial drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulties and Time.
- Fast is a breed temperament.
- Fast is a cricket bowling pace.
- Fast is a canonical version, musical recording.
- Fast is a religious practice.
- Fast is a film music contributor.
- FAST a.k.a. The USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies brings together storage system researchers and practitioners to explore new directions in the design, implementation, evaluation, and deployment of storage systems.
- read more about USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies
- Fast a.k.a. Fas-activated serine/threonine kinase is a gene.
- also known as FAST kinase
Phrases with Fast
Phrases starting with the word Fast:
- fast day
- fast dye
- fast one
- fast buck
- fast food
- fast lane
- Fast Rope
- fast break
- fast of ab
- fast of av
- fast track
Phrases ending with the word Fast:
View more phrases with the word Fast in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fast
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Lara Alcock
Being fast means that you'll have more time to do more practice, or to study another topic, or to go out with your friends. It is also the case that people who are good at some mathematical topic—those with a deep and thorough understanding ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
forward engineer support team FET facility engineer team FEU forty-foot equivalent unit FEZ fighter engagement zone FF navy fast frigate Ff fatigue correction factor FFA free-fire area FFC force fires coordinator FFCC flight ferry control center ...
The Slang Dictionary Or the Vulgar Words, Street Phrases, and Fast Expressions of High and Low Society Many with Their Etymology, and a Few with Their History Traced (1864)
FAST, gay, spreeish, unsteady, thoughtless,—an Anm'ieanism that has of late ascended from the streets to the drawing-room. The word has certainly now a distinct meaning, which it had not thirty years ago. QUICK is the synonyme for FAST, ...
by Stephen Marvin
Syndrome Principle; Unlearned Principle FAST COMPUTATION Principle of molecular dynamics FAST STOCHASTIC GLOBAL OPTIMIZATION Correspondence Principle; Entropy Maximum Principle; Extended Maximum Entropy Principle; ...
by Hal Leonard Corp.
Tempo Terms Term Meaning Grave Very Slow Largo, Lento Slow Larghetto A little faster than Largo Adagio Moderately Slow Andante "Walking" Tempo Andantino A little faster than Andante* Allegretto A little slower than Allegro Allegro Fast ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fast
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fast
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Nicolás Sanguinetti
Photo credit: schmollmolch
Photo credit: Juan Lupión
Photo credit: Jamie C2009
Photo credit: gryte16
Project 365 - 34
Detox day 8, juice fast day 2
Photo credit: JuditK
Photo credit: Homini:)
Photo credit: Daniel_Hache
Photo credit: LFLamb
VIEW FROM KUALA LUMPUR PUTRA LRT TRAIN
Photo credit: fhir.photograph
MIA Charter Boat, doing 60 while at the dock!
Photo credit: bcgrote
- Fast bei den Wolken
Aussicht vom Taubenstein
Photo credit: spatz_2011
- Floating fast...
Photo credit: LivewithoutPS
- Fast & Furious
The Hostas are coming in fast and furious.
Photo credit: Clearly Ambiguous
- Fast intake
Photo credit: Brawn
- Speak Your Mind & ride a fast horse
Photo credit: Wesley Fryer
- Under Fast
Photo credit: Thairms
Photo credit: Spanish Coches
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fast
Click on an item to play that video:
- TOEFL iBT Vocabulary: How to Learn TOEFL Words Fast!
- FAST Technology Explained: EFI Terminology
Whether you are ready to make the switch to Electronic Fuel Injection or if you are still considering the switch, there are several words and phrases that you will ...
- Fast Meaning
Video shows what fast means. Firmly or securely fixed in place; stable.. Firm against attack; fortified by nature or art; impregnable; strong.. Steadfast, with ...
- POLICE STATE WARNING EXPLANATION: CONSTITUTION IS FADING FAST
Heien v. North Carolina (Supreme Court Ruling)...
- Fast & Total Body Definition In 4 Minutes- L-Sit Tabata Workout
Get Your Free Tabata Workouts With Amir & Dianna! Every Week...
- Foreign language text reader: Learn vocabulary naturally, in context, fast and for FREE!
Link to FLTR...
- Surfer Blood "Fast Jabroni" live at New Slang
Palm Beaches own Surfer Blood played New Slang on their first ever UK tour, in support of Pete & The Pirates. Here's "Fast Jabroni" from their debut album, ...
- Classroom Vocabulary Learn English Vocabulary - Learning English Fast
Classroom Vocabulary Learn English Vocabulary - Learning English Fast...
- ChronoScan Fast field definition
A short tutorial showing how to create template fields using fast mode.
- Fast &Total Body Definition In 4 Minutes- L-Sit Tabata Workout Instruction
Get Your Free Tabata Workouts With Amir & Dianna! Every Week...
- Fast and the Furious meaning and pronunciation
The Holy Grail of rice-boy movies (you know, the loud, obnoxious kids with slow cars). Explains many mysteries and fads of the current import car scene. Proves ...
- Fast: Definition and Rulings
- Parts of speech (fast explanation)
- Fast & Fierce Start Explanation
- FAST Explanation
hope u guys did enjoy.
- Explanation of how The Daniel Fast religious diet works
Author Susan Gregory explains how the Daniel Fast, a system of religious fasting, helps people with physical and spiritual health.
- Revealed: The Secret to Start Speaking a Language Fast
- How to Learn a New Language Fast | Tim Ferriss
How to learn a new language fast Watch all 13 episodes here...
- Fast ForWord Language Program Demonstration
Want to know more about auditory processing disorder? Join the Udemy course for FREE.
- How to Use Fast ForWord Language v2
Fast ForWord Language maps the brain to improve the fundamental cognitive skills of memory, attention, processing, and sequencing, while simultaneously ...
- Fast ForWord Language Program Demo
Find out more at...
- PolyConf 15: Julia a fast dynamic language for technical computing / Stefan Karpinski
- Pimsleur Approach: The Secret to Start Speaking a Language Fast!
- Fast Dictionary From Spotlight Search with 'SpotDict'
PLEASE READ BELOW: Previous Video...
- Julia: A Fast Dynamic Language for Technical Computing
- Let It Go - Multi--language "Behind The Mic" version (2x Fast)
- Brilliant fast language translator for firefox 2013
Excellent firefox add on that translates over 50 languages.
- INDO-EUROPEAN MIGRATIONS & language geographical evolution FAST
FAST evolution of the Indo-European languages in Europe from 3500 b.c. up to the present according to the main theories about their historical migrations.
- Practice English Listening | ESL Video Lesson 55 | Listening To Fast Speech | English Through Song
- 3 Insanely Effective, FAST Upper Body Warm-ups - Print Out Description Take to Gym
Net's ONLY Complete Muscle Building System...
See also the pronunciation examples of Fast!
Click on an item to play that video:
- How to Learn American Sign Language Online - Free, Fast & Funny
- Rueben Fast Horse sign language
Rueben Fast Horse, a Lakota from Standing Rock Indian Reservation and Native American tour guide at...
- A Lesson and Demonstration About Indian Sign Language with Reuben Fast Horse
Listen and observe this lesson delivered by Reuben Fast Horse. At Sitting Bull College on September 20, 2013. (Steve Piscitelli)
- How to remove make up fast, (sign language video)
- 'fast' in American Sign Language
Quotes about Fast
When I was young, I was too slow. I thought I must learn to run fast by practicing to run fast, so I ran 100 meters fast 20 times. Then I came back, slow, slow, slow. (Emil Zatopek)
more quotes about fast...
Scrabble value of F4A1S1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FAST
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Fast!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fast to see it in context!