Fig appears in the following tongue twister:
- I'm not the fig plucker,
nor the fig plucker's son,
but I'll pluck figs
till the fig plucker comes.
Fig appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Gift fig.
- I saw a gif. Fig. A was I.
- Last fig - as a gift, Sal.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fig:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fig
- Phrases with Fig
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fig
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fig
- Photos about Fig
- Videos about Fig
- Quotes about Fig
- Scrabble value of F4I1G2
- Anagrams of FIG
- Share this page
The word fig is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fig
What does fig mean as a name of something?
Fig is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: figs
- a diagram or picture illustrating textual material
- Mediterranean tree widely cultivated for its edible fruit
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Caprificus leucocarpa / species Caprificus leucocarpa / Caprificus oblongata / species Caprificus oblongata / Caprificus pedunculata / species Caprificus pedunculata / Caprificus rugosa / species Caprificus rugosa / Caprificus sphaerocarpa / species Caprificus sphaerocarpa / Ficus albescens / species Ficus albescens / Ficus carica caprificus / variety Ficus carica caprificus / Ficus carica domestica / variety Ficus carica domestica / Ficus carica riparium / variety Ficus carica riparium / Ficus colombra / species Ficus colombra / Ficus deliciosa / species Ficus deliciosa / Ficus dottata / species Ficus dottata / Ficus globosa / species Ficus globosa / Ficus hypoleuca / species Ficus hypoleuca / Ficus kopetdagensis / species Ficus kopetdagensis / Ficus neapolitana / species Ficus neapolitana / Ficus pedunculata / species Ficus pedunculata / Ficus polymorpha / species Ficus polymorpha / Ficus carica
- synonyms of fig: common fig / common fig tree
- more generic term: fig tree = any moraceous tree of the tropical genus Ficus
- more specific terms: Ficus carica sylvestris / caprifig = wild variety of the common fig used to facilitate pollination of certain figs
- part: syconium = the fleshy multiple fruit of the fig consisting of an enlarged hollow receptacle containing numerous fruitlets
- geographic area: Caribbean, North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
- a Libyan terrorist group organized in 1995 and aligned with al-Qaeda; seeks to radicalize the Libyan government; attempted to assassinate Qaddafi
- region: Libya / Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of FIG: Al-Jama'a al-Islamiyyah al-Muqatilah bi-Libya / Libyan Fighting Group / Libyan Islamic Fighting Group / Libyan Islamic Group
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
- fleshy sweet pear-shaped yellowish or purple multiple fruit eaten fresh or preserved or dried
- Fig a.k.a. Fria Airport is an airport serving Fria, a town and prefecture in the Boke Region in the Republic of Guinea.
- part of Guinea
- Fig is an unincorporated community in Ashe County, North Carolina, southwest of Clifton. It lies at an elevation of 2,802 feet.
There are other places with in their name, like Fig Tree Pocket.
Who is Fig?
Fig a.k.a. Marco St. John is an American actor who has starred in many films and on television. He is best known for his role as the perverted truck driver in the 1991 hit film Thelma & Louise. St. John is also well known in the horror fan community for playing Sheriff Tucker in the 1985 horror film Friday the 13th: A New Beginning.
- read more about Marco St. John (actor)
- Fig is a fictional character from the film The Long Autumn.
- Fig is a fictional character from the 2011 film Pinching Penny.
"Fig" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Chiyomaru Shikura
"Fig" is a 2013 film directed by Vincent Chui.
- Fig is a 2009 JBF Awards winning restaurant in Charleston.
- some of the awards:
- James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southeast nomination for Michael Lata
- James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southeast nomination for Michael Lata
- James Beard Award for Outstanding Wine Program
- official website: www.eatatfig.com
- some of the awards:
- Fig is a file format.
- Fig a.k.a. golgi associated PDZ and coiled-coil motif containing is a gene.
- also known as CFTR-associated ligand, dJ94G16.2 PIST, OTTHUMP00000040403, fused in glioblastoma, Golgi associated PDZ and coiled-coil motif containing protein, PDZ/coiled-coil domain binding partner for the rho-family GTPase TC10
- Fig a.k.a. chromosome 10 open reading frame 10 is a gene.
- also known as decidual protein induced by progesterone, fasting induced gene
Phrases with Fig
Phrases starting with the word Fig:
Phrases ending with the word Fig:
View more phrases with the word Fig in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fig
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
in which a new method of pruning and training is fully described ... by William Forsyth
The Murrey, or Brown Naples Fig, is a pretty large fruit ot a light brown colour, and the inside neatly ot the fame colour ; the flesh is well flavoured j and it ripens about the middle ot September 9 The Giecn Ischia Fig is an oblong fruit with a ...
by Majid Daneshgar, Walid Saleh
The fig is a place of worship (masjid) in Damascus and the olive a place of worship in Jerusalem, which is the opinion of Ḥārith...
The fig is the place of worship of the People of the Cave, and the olive is Elijah's place of worship, which is the ...
The Cracker Baker (1922)
The fig is a fruit which has been well known since ancient times and, together with the grape, is the fruit most frequently...
It is of interest to note that in Spain the fig is the fifth in value among fruit crops, and in 1910 a careful census was taken of ...
A "well-matured" dried fig means a dried fig which is well developed and in which the interior shows very good sugary tissue development that is sirupy ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopædia; Conducted by David Brewster, L L. D. ... with the Assistance of Gentlemen Eminent in Science and Literature. In Eighteen Volumes. Volume 1 [- 18] (1830)
The Malta fig is a small brown ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopædia (1830)
by Sir David Brewster
The Malta fig is a small brown fruit; the pulp sweet, and well flavoured. When permitted to hang on the tree till it be shrivelled, it forms a fine sweetmeat. The Murrey fig, or brownish-red Naples fig, is a large globular shaped fruit, of pretty good ...
Containing the Latest and Most Approved Methods for the Management of the Kitchen, Fruit, and Flower-garden, the Green-house, Hot-house, &c. &c. ... Including the New Method of Heating Forcing-houses with Hot Water Only by Charles McIntosh
The fig is a tree equally tender with the vine, indeed more so, as in many situations the tree is not sufficiently hardy to resist some of our severe winters, while the vine is seldom injured ; still the fig THE FRUIT GARDEN. 325 CHAP. IV.
The American Gardener (1821)
Or, A Treatise on the Situation, Soil, Fencing and Laying-out of Gardens; on the Making and Managing of Hot-beds and Green-houses; and on the Propagation and Cultivation of the Several Sorts of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Flowers by William Cobbett
The fig is a mawkish thing at best ; and, amongst such quantities of fine fruit as this country produces, it can, from mere curiosity only be thought worth raising at all, and especially at great trouble. 308. FILBERD.— This is a sort of Nut, oblong in ...
Geometrical problems deducible from the first six books of Euclid, arranged and solved. To which is added, an appendix containing the elements of plane trigonometry (1819)
by Miles Bland
FIG is the line required. Draw the perpendiculars FO, GO meeting in 0. Then since ED is parallel to FG, and the angles AED, ADE are equal, ,\ AFG and AGF are equal. But AFO = AGO, each being a right angle, .-. OGF=OFG, and 0F= OG; ...
A voyage performed by the late Earl of Sandwich round the Mediterranean in the years 1738 and 1739 (1799)
Embellished with a portrait of his Lordship by John Montagu ¬of Sandwich
The fig is the form of a cucumber, about four inches. long, and of a most delicious flavour, resembling strawberries very much both in taste and smell. When ripe it is of a bright yellow, the inside more inclined to the white, full of seeds, soft and ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1832)
Fig. 39. Shews AEpinus's modification of the method of double touch. Figs. 40, 42. Shew Coulomb's method of making Artificial Magnets, as deduced from the ...
by John A. Beck
The fig tree thrives in the kind of environment so prevalent in the Promised Land, rocky terrain covered with a thin layer of topsoil. In both its wild and domesticated forms, the fig tree is so common that it is one of the signature trees of Israel ...
Illustrated Keys to Known Families, Genera, and Species in South America by Charles W. Heckman
The pterostigma is absent or is strangely formed, not chitinized, or formed from several cells and never braced (Fig. 3.1.18).
by Thérèse de Dillmont
Fig. 19. Openwork seam. stitches, placed alternately on the two edges to be joined. The first and the third stitch are worked over two threads, the middle one over four. The groups are five threads apart from each other. The seam represented in ...
Volume 4 - Communications Human Factors to Cryptology by Fritz E. Froehlich, Allen Kent
FIG. 12 Notch filter: a, filtered spectrum in the a-<t> space; b, filtered spectrum in the u-v space; c, original image in the x-y space; d, filtered image. 13, we show the original PET image (Fig. 13-o), the resulting filtered image using spectral ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fig
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fig
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: DBduo Photography
Photo credit: Mike GL
Photo credit: stu_spivack
Photo credit: leckernapfkuchen
Photo credit: pierret_christian
Photo credit: draxil
Photo credit: sfbaywalk
Photo credit: Steven Polunsky
Photo credit: Ezra S F
Photo credit: marc kjerland
Photo credit: Kent Wang
View more pictures about Fig leaf.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Fig
Click on an item to play that video:
- Fig Meaning
Video shows what fig means. A fruit-bearing tree or shrub of the genus Ficus that is native mainly to the tropics.. The fruit of the fig tree, pear-shaped and ...
- Shakespeare--Non-literal and Fig. Language
This lecture delves into how writers and poets use non-literal language in order to make their work more artful. There is a small AP section toward the end.
- Fig Language Rap 2010-2011
Mrs. Preis' Students- 2010-2011 performing "EducationalRap.com" Figurative Language Rap.
- Fig Language
- Fig language
- The World Of Fig Language
- Pyrocumulus - horizon (SA Fig. Language Lyric Video)
All the fig. language or parts of fig. language are italicized. - By Dalis.
- Fig. Language
See also the pronunciation examples of Fig!
Quotes about Fig
Scrabble value of F4I1G2
The value of this 3-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FIG
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Fig!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fig to see it in context!