On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun folk music
What does folk music mean as a name of something?
- the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of folk music: ethnic music / folk
- more generic terms: popular music / popular music genre = any genre of music having wide appeal
- more specific terms:
- folk ballad / folk song / folksong = a song that is traditionally sung by the common people of a region and forms part of their culture
- schottische = music performed for dancing the schottische
- country and western / country music / C and W = a simple style of folk music heard mostly in the southern United States
- gospel singing / gospel = folk music consisting of a genre of a cappella music originating with Black slaves in the United States and featuring call and response
- square-dance music = music performed for square dancing
Alternative definition of the noun folk music
- any genre of music originating from the ethnic community of a specific region; often not recorded, but passed down orally
- contemporary music in the style of traditional folk music
- folk music a.k.a. Volk: In German, the word Volk may mean folk, people in the ethnic sense, and nation.
- read more about Volk
- Folk music includes both traditional music and the genre that evolved from it during the 20th century folk revival. The term originated in the 19th century but is often applied to music that is older than that. Some types of folk music are also called world music.
- "Folk Music" was the fourth studio album by English acoustic roots duo Show of Hands.
- genre: Folk music
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Folk Music" is an album by hip hop group Far*East Movement (FM).
- "Folk Music" is a musical album of Deep Blue Organ Trio.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Folk music" is a book by Sheenagh Pugh.
- "Folk music" is a book by Kristin Baggelaar.
- also known as "Folk music: more than a song"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Folk music
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Irma H. Collins
FOLK MUSIC, FOLK SONG. 1. The musical repertory and tradition of communities (particularly rural) as opposed to art music, which is the work of musically trained composers. It generally develops anonymously, usually among less-educated ...
by Norman Abjorensen
Folk music is a type of traditional and generally rural music originally transmitted through families, places of work, and other small social...
Folk music includes both traditional music and the popular music genre that evolved from it during the ...
by Ruth-Esther Hillila, Barbara Blanchard Hong
Kansantansseja [Finnish Folk Music III. Folk Dances]. Helsinki: Suomalaisen kirjallisuuden seura [Finnish Literature ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Folk music
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Folk music
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Folk music.
Photo credit: Bo Valentin
- Devonport folk music bunker
Folk Music is dangerous and is stored in secure concrete bunkers. This bunker is opened on Mondays at 8pm for inspection of the contents.
Photo credit: wonderferret
- Southern Folk Music
Photo credit: NathanF
- Kashmir folk music
Artists / Singers during one of the musical evenings inside the park.
Photo credit: Ehsan Quddusi
- Polish Folk Music
Photo credit: IPlayHockey
- Dancing to Folk Music
Photo credit: mikegoren
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Folk music
Click on an item to play that video:
- Folk music Meaning
Video shows what folk music means. any genre of music originating from the ethnic community of a specific region; often not recorded, but passed down orally.
- Karelian Folk Music with the dialect of Petrozavodsk area
Performance in crowded theater in Petrozavodsk, Russia. Pardon the heads viewed in shots but the performance is worthwhile to see. This is part two.
- Brahui language song Baloch folk music
- Friendly Psychics Music: Language as a Second English - Indie Folk Music (Royalty-free)
Artist: Friendly Psychics Music Song Track: Language as a Second English Genre: Indie Folk Royalty Free Music from: ...
- Balochi language song (Balochi folk music)
See also the pronunciation examples of Folk music!
Quotes about Folk music
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Folk music to see it in context!