Francis Bacon (philosopher)
On this page:
Who is Francis Bacon?
Francis Bacon, 1st Viscount St. Alban, QC, was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator, essayist, and author. He served both as Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England. After his death, he remained extremely influential through his works, especially as philosophical advocate and practitioner of the scientific method during the scientific revolution.
- also known as Sir Francis Bacon
- born on (453 years ago) in Strand, London, child of Nicholas Bacon and Anne Bacon
- nationality: England
- religion: Anglicanism
- profession: Philosopher, spy, author, statesman, scientist
- Marriage with Alice Barnham between and (18 years)
- died on (389 years ago) in Highgate of pneumonia
- written works: "New Atlantis", "The Charge of Sir Francis Bacon ... Touching Duels", "De Augmentis Scientarum", "Considerations touching a warre with Spaine", "L' artisan de la fortune", "Lord Bacon's essays", "The essays, 1625", "Of studies", "The learned reading of Sir Francis Bacon, one of Her Majesties learned counsell at law, upon the Statute of uses", "Über die Würde und den Fortgang der Wissenschaften", "Essays moraux", "Novai͡a︡ Atlantida", "Cases of treason", "The moral and historical works of Lord Bacon", "Of travel", "A preface to Bacon", "The essaies of S[i]r Francis Bacon, Knight ..", "Histoire du regne de Henry VII., roy d'Angleterre", "The major works", "The promus of formularies and elegancies", "Sylvia sylvarvm", "Essayes di Francis Bacon", "Examples of a treatise on universal justice", "The works of Lord Bacon", "An essay of a king", "Certain acute and short sentences of Francis Bacon", "Essays by Lords Bacon and Clarendon", "A conference of pleasure", "A reprint of a treatise by Francis Bacon on the delivery of the lamp or the method bequeathed to the sonnes of sapience", "Advancement of learning and Novum organum", "The tvvoo", "The charge of Sir Francis Bacon touching duells", "The essays or counsels, civil and moral", "A wise and moderate discourse, concerning church-affaires", "Harmony of the essays, etc., of Francis Bacon", "A declaration of the practises & treasons attempted and committed by Robert late Earle of Essex and his complices against Her Maiestie and her kingdoms", "Instauratio magna", "Sermones fideles, ethici, politici, oeconomici", "The naturall and experimental history of vvinds, &c", "Original letters and memoirs", "An advertisement touching a holy war", "A letter vvritten out of England to an English gentleman remaining at Padua", "Istorii͡a︡ pravlenii͡a︡ Koroli͡a︡ Genrikha VII", "Les oeuvres morales et politiques de Messire Françios Bacon, grand chancelier d'Angleterre", "The wisedome of the ancients", "Apophthegmes new and old", "Saggi morali del signore Francesco Bacono", "The two books of Francis Bacon", "Novum organum", "Of empire"
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Francis Bacon (philosopher)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Francis Bacon (philosopher)
Francis Bacon Book
* Published in association with Thames and Hudson
* Published by the Tate Gallery Publication Department
* ISBN no. 0946590192
* Copyright 1985
* Not a hardback
All proceeds help us continue the fight against HIV/AIDS and homelessness
Photo credit: HousingWorksPhotos
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Francis Bacon to see it in context!