On this page:
Who is Franz Waxman?
Franz Waxman - born Franz Wachsmann - was a German-born, Jewish-American composer, known primarily for his work in the film music genre. His film scores include The Bride of Frankenstein, Rebecca, Sunset Boulevard, A Place in the Sun, Stalag 17, Rear Window, Peyton Place, The Nun's Story, and Taras Bulba. He received twelve Academy Award nominations, and won two Oscars in consecutive years. He also received a Golden Globe Award for the former film.
- also known as Franz Wachsmann, F. Waxman, F. Wachsmann
- born on (109 years ago) in Chorzów
- ethnicity: Jewish people, Germans
- nationality: United States of America, German Empire, German Reich
- religion: Judaism
- profession: Film score composer, composer, bank teller
- Marriage with Alice Schachmann until
- parent of John W. Waxman
- died on (48 years ago) in Los Angeles of cancer
- genre: Film score
- albums: "The Words and the Music of Frankenstein", "The Spirit of St. Louis", "Objective Burma!", "The Bride of Frankenstein", "Rebecca", "Crime in the Streets", "Sunset Boulevard", "Complete Works for Violin & Orchestra / Cello & Orchestra", "Taras Bulba", "Vieuxtemps: Violin Concertos nos. 4 & 5 / Saint-Saëns: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso / Havanaise / Sarasate: Zigeunerweisen / Waxman: "Carmen" Fantasy", "Career", "The Heifetz Collection, Volume 21", "My Geisha", "A Centenary Celebration", "The Virgin Queen", "Demetrius and the Gladiators", "Cimarron", "Untamed", "Franz Waxman at Paramount: Elephant Walk / Botany Bay / Stalag 17", "A Place in the Sun", "Prince Valiant", "The Silver Chalice", "The Story of Ruth", "Beloved Infidel", "Sunset Boulevard: The Classic Film Scores Of Franz Waxman", "Anne of the Indies"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "The Young in Heart"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Musical - "The Young in Heart"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Rebecca"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Suspicion"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Objective, Burma!"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Humoresque"
- nominated to Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score - "Sunset Boulevard"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Sunset Boulevard"
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score - "Sunset Boulevard"
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Sunset Boulevard"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "A Place in the Sun"
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "A Place in the Sun"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "The Silver Chalice"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "The Nun's Story"
- nominated to Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score - "Taras Bulba"
- nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Music Score - "Taras Bulba"
- official website: www.franzwaxman.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Franz Waxman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Andrew Spicer
The German-born composer Franz Waxman worked in Weimar cinema from the ...
by Neil Butterworth
Charles HAUBIEL, Leonard KAST LE, Robert KELLEY, GianCarlo MENOTTI, George ROCHBERG, Virgil THOMSON, George WALKER, Hugo WEISGALL ARNOLD SCHOENBERG Students: Wayne BARLOW, Marc BLITZSTEIN, John CAGE, Lou HARRISON, Earl KIM, Leon KIRCHNER, Peter J ona KORN, Dika NEWLIN, Roger NIXON, Paul PISK, Gerald STRANG, David VAN VACTOR, Elinor Remick WARREN, Franz WAXMAN, Adolph WEISS ROGER SESSIONS ( student of Ernest ...
Encyclopedia of Sports Films (2010)
by K Edgington, Thomas Erskine, James M. Welsh
MUSIC: Franz Waxman (American release); Benjamin Frankel (British release). ART DIRECTION: C.P. Norman. COSTUME DESIGN: Oleg Cassini, Margaret Furse, Ivy Baker. CAST: Richard Widmark (Harry Fabian), Gene Tierney (Mary Bristol), Googie Withers (Helen Nosseross), Mike Mazurki (the Strangler). RUNNING TIME: IOI minutes. DVD: Criterion. Night and the ...
by Marty McGee
William Goetz Producer; Franz Waxman Original Music; Irving Berlin Lyricist; Ellsworth Fredericks Cinematography; Philip W. Anderson, Arthur P. Schmidt Film Editors; Ted Haworth Production Designer; Robert Priestley Art Director; Norma Koch Costume Designer; Ad Schaumer Assistant Director; M.A. Merrick Sound; Le Roy Prinz Choreographer; Leonid Raab Orchestrator; Walter ...
Encyclopedia of Television (2014)
by Horace Newcomb, Lambdin Kay Distinguished Professor for the Peabody Awards Horace Newcomb
Although Alfredo Antonini composed music for 50 percent of the programs, Franz Waxman, Glen Paxton, George Kleinsinger, George Antheil, and others contributed original ...
Dictionary of Pseudonyms (2010)
13,000 Assumed Names and Their Origins, 5th ed. by Adrian Room
Franz Waxman: Franz Wachsmann ( 1906– 1967), ...
by Robert Beck
A Sachiko production; producer, Steve Parker; director, Jack Cardi›; screenplay, Norman Krasna; art directors, Hal Pereira, Arthur Lonergan, Makoto Kikuchi; music, Franz Waxman; sound, Harold Lewis, Charles Grenzbach; camera, Shunichiro Nakao, Stanley Sayer; 2nd unit director, Ikuo Kobayashi; editor, Archie Marshek; production manager, Harry Caplan; orchestrations, Leonid Raab ; song, Hal David; costumes, Edith Head, Seibu (kimonos), Frank Somper (furs); makeup, Wally ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Franz Waxman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Franz Waxman
Korsakov Vol. 3 -1946-1998- Franz Waxman Documents
See more here:
Photo credit: iClassicalCom